Can you see the solution? (before you start drawing)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Can you see the solution? (before you start drawing)

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can you see the solution? (before you start drawing)

When you get an idea, how clear is that image in your mind before you start drawing?

Are you solving the problems (where everything goes) in you mind or on the paper?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I usually have only few guidelines on how it should look like and the rest comes out while drawing. The lines I loosely put on paper give me answers on how to continue and I follow it until everything looks complete. I think those type of images come out the most imaginative and fresh. If it's too weird, I can always make it more grounded or start again.
    I noticed many beginners try to solve everything before they ever pick pencil and it usually leads to dead end or creative block.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Even when I think I have a clear image in my head, I'm always surprised when I start drawing.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Even when I think I have a clear image in my head, I'm always surprised when I start drawing.
    Ditto, I also almost always end up with something different in the end too. Luckily it is almost always something better to boot.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A Frazetta quote from the March issue of IFX:
    "I never have a solid image in my head before I start drawing, just a certain feeling about it. On rare occasions I see the images very clearly once I start sketching, but they're usually just very simple scenes. I don't see detail, just a certain atmosphere—that it's warm or cold, that it's terrible or eerie. I see SOMETHING, but nothing distinct. Maybe there's a thrust in some direction to it or a circular action. As I'm thinking my hand will draw almost unconsciously, building shapes and masses with no details—it's often like my mind is one place and my hand is another, like I'm drawing by instinct. And somehow it all starts to come together. Let's say I feel strongly about a certain area: I might suddenly see the space as needing a big figure coming at you. To his left is the suggestion of another figure: I'll either decide to make it higher or lower to create an interesting up-and-down pattern. Then considering the next area I want to work in, I'll create another shape, more up-and-down patterns that achieve a sense of balance. Keep in mind that at this point, they're not really figures, but more like blobs indicating position and importance. Then to keep the piece from seeming too repetitious or fake, I'll force a new element, a figure or shape, to sweep across and through it, cutting into it. It's pure abstract design. Once I've established the composition that I'm happy with, I'll work on the forward figures first: they're the most important. There's no point in building a roof for your 'house' if you haven't built strong 'walls' first. But, above all, there's always an interaction of shapes that provides a feeling of movement, even if the main figure is standing still--I think that's why people react to my art, even if they can't figure out why the hell they're reacting to it. It's not posed and fake: you get the feeling it's got some life to it, that you're a witness to something going on and if you blink it'll be gone."

Last edited by Elwell; May 16th, 2008 at 11:40 AM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same here... sometimes it's like the drawing has a will of it's own and I'm just along for the ride.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually do a few thumbnail sketches before I try drawing anything. I have to have a pretty good idea of what I want to draw or I'll just draw crap. It ends up not being that great anyway, but knowing what I wanted helps me see what the problem areas are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually start to discover new ways of working whilst i'm painting (if i'm having a good day). It usually just hits me at random whilst i'm trying to get a certain effect. This is why I really dislike to plan out paintings in major detail, because most of the time, I can't see solutions, but when i'm sat in front of a painting just working at it, my thoughts are able to flow more easily and things start to fall into place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will echo what others have already said. I often have a clear image in my head when starting a project, but the final result seldom bears any resemblance to the original image. Sometimes it is better.

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.