Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts

Wacom accessory pens...

Does anyone have a special wacom pen? I was thinking about getting the Stroke Pen.
    The tip of the Stroke Pen has more give than other Intuos2 pens. As a result strokes made with this pen have a more brush-like feel. The pen is similar in style to the Classic Pen but does not have an eraser or a DuoSwitchTM
    but i wanted to know if they were useful.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    I swear by the airbrush pen, and use the standard pen for special media, such as chalks or liquid ink...

I'd probably never buy a stylus without the eraser on the other end, as it is invaluable for earasing even when NOT in brush type tools.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Hey, I've always wondered about the other wacom pens and such. What is the difference between the sytlus the normal tablet comes with and the airbrush one?

Also the stroke one sounds like you could just configure a few things in painter or photoshop to get the same effect...

mos.

Thanks
    I've never purchased a wacom or a 'special pen' for that matter. But, I've read up on the subject. The airbrush pen has a wheel that determines the amount of ink that comes out and a little lever that determines the air pressure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    yeah they sound cool, but it's so hard to spend $80 on something you aren't really sure about..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Yeah, real airbrush 'guns' or pens has a little slider/knob/button that you can control pressure with. It adds another dimension so you can for example have both size AND opacity control with the paintbrush in PS (I'm guessing, hoping). I would definately have use of that, but the question is if the brain can handle 4 dimensions (X,Y,S,O) (+Tilt).
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Originally posted by madster
    I'd probably never buy a stylus without the eraser on the other end, as it is invaluable for earasing even when NOT in brush type tools.
    If that was your only stylus, sure, but can't Wacom tell between different pens, so you can use several all with different tools assigned to them? I only have the standard pen, but I think Wacom says they can do this. If so, you could just use the eraser on the original pen.

I'd also like to hear opinions about the stroke one. mos667, it's not just tweaking pressure settings in Painter. From the description is sounds like the tip is flexible (or spring-loaded?), so it's like with a real brush you have to push it in a little, not just press harder. I just wish they sold it for at least half of what it costs...

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    You're right about the knowledge of different stylus (stylii?).
    I use the "standard" one for the chalks and pastels media, which I switch to regularly, and yes, it is just like picking up a different brush, the tablet responds immediately.

To have 1024 levels of sensitivity, it is more a sensor-type thing rather than a spring. It's exactly that cool response that makes the tablet so expensive, and so worth every penny.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Prometheus, i think it is not a problem for the brain if you see what people can do with a real airbrush. (replace 'distance from work' for 'pen pressure', then they both have the same number of variables)

I'm also curious about these tools. But at the moment painter does not remember my pressure settings so it's 'on' or 'off' for me :-/ Do you have information on what apps actually understand the different tools?

E.
    Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!