Female comic artists?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Female comic artists?

Son, if you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet they're about to announce the lottery numbers.

Screaming Lamb

My Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mazouko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Rebecca Guay, though she's maybe more a painter than comic artist these days

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In North America? Linda Medley and my bud Nina Matsumoto jump to mind. [EDIT] Oh! And Johane Matte who's done work in Flight and I adore her Horus book (she also puts up pages on DA). The femmes tend to be indie or the new wave of japanese-inspired (I'm sure you know of the vast amount of female comic artists in JPN).

You might try browsing Sequential Tart, though they do review all comics and not just female-only.

Last edited by Mirana; May 15th, 2008 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jan Duursema -- Star Wars comics

Fiona Staples -- cover and interior artist (Sheena, Red Sonja, Jack Hawksmoor [Wildstorm])

Claire Wendling (her sketchbooks are A-AWESOME)

Pia Guerra ("Y - The Last Man", lotsa others) gallery here: http://www.hellkitty.com/gallery.htm

Last edited by FlipMcgee; May 15th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlipMcgee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are lots: Alison Bechdel, Jessical Abel, the brilliant Melinda Gebbie, who's married to Alan Moore. Gebbie is a chameleon, capable of changing styles without sweat. Below is a homage to Max Ernst's collage novels that she did with Moore.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Becky Cloonan, Jill Thompson, Kate Beaton, Tove Jansson, the bazillion female manga artists and loads of webcomic artists...
    Heck, there's a huge list of female comic creators which has handy markings on who's an artist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...omics_creators (of which I'm sure loads are awesome)

Oh crap, this was a necro. CURSES!

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If boring JC can come back from the dead, I'm sure so can an actually worthwhile topic

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by Elwell; November 2nd, 2011 at 06:45 AM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Vera Brosgol (She's mostly into animation but she has done comics from time to time.)
    Hiromu Arakawa
    Jen Wang

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipMcgee View Post

Fiona Staples -- cover and interior artist (Sheena, Red Sonja, Jack Hawksmoor [Wildstorm])

I really love the role reversal in the first one, and the intense facial expression of the warrior woman on the second. I might seem like an arrogant dickhead, but I despise too much generic chauvinism in art, and it's refreshing to see things changed up like that.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wendy Pini
    Emily Warren
    Christina Strain

Tinybird covered the Wiki list.

If you also count Japanese comics (manga) there ARE A LOT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    I really love the role reversal in the first one
    I love it too but I'd love it even more if there wasn't that voice in the back of my head, "But how does that costume stay ON?"

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love the role reversal in the first one, and the intense facial expression of the warrior woman on the second. I might seem like an arrogant dickhead, but I despise too much generic chauvinism in art, and it's refreshing to see things changed up like that.
    Still wearing scale mail bikinis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    I love it too but I'd love it even more if there wasn't that voice in the back of my head, "But how does that costume stay ON?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Murphy View Post
    Still wearing scale mail bikinis.
    Both true, but if a heroine can kick the crap out of anyone who tries to touch her, she can generally wear whatever she pleases. I don't know if that's my excuse for liking sexy outfits like that, but I stick by the rationale nonetheless.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both true, but if a heroine can kick the crap out of anyone who tries to touch her, she can generally wear whatever she pleases.
    You mean, whatever the (usually male, at least with these two characters) creator of the character wants her to wear? Those characters aren't real people so they aren't wearing what they please.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Red Sonja gets a pass on the scale mail bikini, both since she was the first and because it's become a defining character element, similar to Power Girl's boob window. But if every female character dresses like that by default, then it stops being interesting and just becomes ridiculous.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 777 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    If you're talking about the female Tarzan, I think the straps are safety-pinned to her nipples.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Red Sonja gets a pass on the scale mail bikini, both since she was the first and because it's become a defining character element, similar to Power Girl's boob window. But if every female character dresses like that by default, then it stops being interesting and just becomes ridiculous.
    I think Power Girl's boob window is a defining element because the male writers want it to be. Her breasts became progressively bigger as time moved on. In the '70s they were normal. But an artist could tone them down again. A writer could stop making self-aware jokes about them in the stories. No to mention in the '80s she wore costumes without cleavage.

It's just that the current creators of DC like T&A.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    You mean, whatever the (usually male, at least with these two characters) creator of the character wants her to wear? Those characters aren't real people so they aren't wearing what they please.
    If I were a hot warrior woman I would wear sexy outfits just to be cruel and to distract my opponents. I see nothing wrong with it. Sexuality isn't good or bad. In fact, making sex taboo is usually what attracts people to using it inappropriately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I were a hot warrior woman I would wear sexy outfits just to be cruel and to distract my opponents. I see nothing wrong with it. Sexuality isn't good or bad. In fact, making sex taboo is usually what attracts people to using it inappropriately.
    And if I were a hot warrior woman I'd wear threads that are useful in a fight. Like something that actually protects anything and doesn't ride my crotch easily.

EDIT: Not to mention if your opponent is a woman, a dragon, wolf or any other animal or any soldier who has been trained to not be distracted, it's not gonna help at all.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted this in the General Comics thread but this is relevant.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/1...erhero-comics/

Kurt Busiek (Kirby: Genesis, Astro City): My argument, over and over, is that "sexy" isn't the problem. Sameness is the problem. Don't make all women look the same. Don't make them act the same. Give us a range of portrayals, like the men.
    I think your analogy is stupid because I'm tired of the male gaze. Hehe it's so funny...like I never heard of THAT line before. VARIETY fool. No one is saying no more sexuality with women, but not every woman needs to be some kind of wank material for someone's penis.

One of the reasons I liked X-men was for its diversity of women. I have to applaud Claremont for at least doing that.

For example Storm. I've seen her go through so many transformations but her core character is a strong woman. She could wear a Mohawk, she can kick ass and she can look sexy in some her outfits but not every outfit she wore was some kind of masturbation material.

Jean Grey, I've always felt was just a tool for the men around her, via Scott being in love with her, the attraction to the hairy shortstuff Wolverine, and rather creepy Xavier's lust for her too. She finally got more of a personality as Phoenix, killed a planet of people then died (then resurrected, and killed again...whatever).

Rogue, frequently covered up due to her ability to absorb people to the point of death from skin to skin contact. I guess we can easily make her the emo goth girl, but what happened? Claremont made her spunky and flirty. That's some good character exploration.

So when you have characters that display that kind of variety, I can forgive or look over the stupid outfits of the females in particular for the Hellfire club because, at least there was a variety of characters, some sexy with the outfits, others are still strong characters. I can forgive them taking a purple haired British girl into a scantily clad Asian fetish assassin.

I like DC's Amanda Waller, you have this big Black woman that actually is a threat. That's what the audience needs to worry about, not if she's bangable. Course witht eh re-launch someone had to screw that up, along with the movies. No, I like the fact a fat Black woman is a threat. She doesn't need to be pretty to be threatening.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; November 3rd, 2011 at 09:26 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read that article some weeks ago; I thought it painted a depressing, but accurate, picture of mainstream (and not so mainstream) comics. I think what we need is more women writing and drawing comics; especially drawing comics. I'm pretty sure (I hope) the writer doesn't tell the penciller to draw the heroine from an angle that allows us to see her ass, crotch and tits in the same panel. That's certainly an artistic choice. And I think women drawing superheroes could help prevent that or change sensibilities.

But, you know, where the hell are they?

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,889 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadaist View Post
    I read that article some weeks ago; I thought it painted a depressing, but accurate, picture of mainstream (and not so mainstream) comics. I think what we need is more women writing and drawing comics; especially drawing comics. I'm pretty sure (I hope) the writer doesn't tell the penciller to draw the heroine from an angle that allows us to see her ass, crotch and tits in the same panel. That's certainly an artistic choice. And I think women drawing superheroes could help prevent that or change sensibilities.
    Amanda Conner was the artist for Power Girl for some time. Make what you will of that.

Last edited by Psychotime; November 3rd, 2011 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What you'd wear is a bra with lots of support so the pain of your boobs jiggling around wouldn't distract you, and weather-appropriate clothing because both sunburn and frostbite really suck. You would also wear shoes you could run away in.

It's not that the clothing is sexy, it's that it's dumb. It would be like me starting a comic company and putting all the male characters in assless chaps and clown makeup and then trying to get you to treat these characters seriously. You can't. It's stupid. Nobody reasonable would do this. It's like having to put up with someone else's fetish. Like you're reading a story and getting into it and suddenly the camera seems to focus on everybody's feet in half the panels or everybody inexplicably gets into fursuits with giant genitals and goes off to fight crime. You start getting the idea that there's an agenda here you didn't sign up for. Which is too bad because I enjoyed the stories and the heroes as people.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    What you'd wear is a bra with lots of support so the pain of your boobs jiggling around wouldn't distract you, and weather-appropriate clothing because both sunburn and frostbite really suck. You would also wear shoes you could run away in.
    I think you're forgetting the most important thing Vineris, the chafing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Amanda Conner was the artist for Power Girl for some time. Make what you will of that.
    I think Power girl is fine as she is, just like I don't mind She Hulk, Ms. Marvel or Wonder Woman's leotard. We have Batgirls, The New Huntress outfit (which I like much better than that bellyshirt bullshit http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/...hutresshistory), Dust, Rocket etc...

Zantanna is a stage magician so I was fine with her fishnets and leotards. Even during the Young Justice cartoon, they updated her look to something more sensible vs the Corsette and pants look in the DC reboot. She still looks like a stage magician in the Young Justice cartoon.

And in Marvel, look at the new Avengers cartoon - "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" (Disney) http://disney.go.com/xd/avengers/
    I like the fact that you got different body types and personalities by the women. Wasp is more cute even though she's an adult. I'm fine with that. Black Widow is more sexy. Even Mockingbird's brief appearance was interesting, and people can argue about her costume. Black Widow wasn't afraid to have boobs and ass in a cartoon - that's fine and as long as you have contrast it's better. Wasp's design actually helped with that. The team can use a few more women, but I'm gathering from teasers about the new season, that's what's going to happen.

But we already discussed variety is fine. Sameness is not.

I don't even know if "more girls drawing comics" is a solution in some ways either.

There is so much of that depressing, vacant eyed, girl in fantasy illustrations it also drives me crazy. It's like two ends of the spectrum that really should be seeking a middle ground.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; November 3rd, 2011 at 12:46 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    putting all the male characters in assless chaps and clown makeup
    everybody inexplicably gets into fursuits with giant genitals and goes off to fight crime
    I think both of those ideas are brilliant.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    male characters in assless chaps and clown makeup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    And Gail Simone has written Wonder Woman.

And Dan Didio is a man, and he's her boss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1