Female comic artists? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I think both of those ideas are brilliant.
    Well, I'm not getting around to them anytime soon so... they're up for grabs. Enjoy! You can't have Pack of Feral Clowns Taking Down an Elk, though. I've got the wallspace all picked out for that one.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Every time we veer off into female "hero" types in the comics and games, I have to think there should be a law that the invented characters should age as real humans do. It can be slower than normal aging, but they should age. This enforced maturity would force artists/designers to remember that within xxx years, the exaggerated physical attributes of some of our favorite eye candy is going to have a major problem with aging/gravity and their uniforms/costumes.

Now, let's all be mature and quietly visualize Blondie Bumstead at the beach, and Wonder Woman as she goes about business in a realistic, more enlightened, manner after all these years...as Flash and Captain America relax at THEIR favorite "fortress of solitude"... "HiiIIii, Babe...come here oftphudgh? Oops. New teeth..."

Can you see it yet?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Every time we veer off into female "hero" types in the comics and games, I have to think there should be a law that the invented characters should age as real humans do. It can be slower than normal aging, but they should age. This enforced maturity would force artists/designers to remember that within xxx years, the exaggerated physical attributes of some of our favorite eye candy is going to have a major problem with aging/gravity and their uniforms/costumes.
    "Is that a tattoo of a giraffe?"

"No it was a unicorn"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadaist View Post
    I think Power Girl's boob window is a defining element because the male writers want it to be. Her breasts became progressively bigger as time moved on. In the '70s they were normal.
    Actually, Power Girl's, ahem, endowments have been part of the character's make-up since the very beginning. The story (perhaps apocryphal) is that Wally Wood, who designed her, had a plan to gradually increase the size of her breasts with every issue of All-Star Comics just to see at what point DC would notice. They never did (although they did nix the boob window after a few issues).

Name:  AllStar058_16a.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  136.5 KB
    (PG's first appearance, All-Star #58. Damn, I love me some Wally Wood art!)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When I first saw Wally's work back in the dark ages, I knew I made the right decision when I entered art...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Amanda Conner was the artist for Power Girl for some time. Make what you will of that.
    I google her art out of curiosity and thought the mention of this panel was rather genius
    http://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/up...l-12_panel.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sara Pichelli on Ultimate Spider-man! High-profile quality stuff.

My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really read a lot of american comics... But there are quite a few good female manga artists. My favorites are probably Rumiko Takahashi and Yuki Urushibara.

And trying to think of some more... There's allways Lise Myrne, if comic strip writers count

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of my faves have already been mentioned, but I'm also a fan of Amy Reeder Hadley of Madame Xanadu fame. I recently heard an interview with her and was flabbergasted to learn she only started drawing at all a few years prior to her work on Xanadu-- it boggles my mind to think of the hard work and talent that must have taken!

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'll just leave this link here: http://ladiesmakingcomics.tumblr.com/

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1