Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Your journey towards finding this website?

I'm sure this thread must have been done before, not sure when was the last time. I love reading stories though. If it was done recently, then delete this.

My online friend introduced me to deviantart in 2003, and in late 2003 I made an account. For the first few years I mainly did anime fanart (I was in the anime phase) and since that's the craze, I would get many comments and views (not that I necessarily cared about that). It was even better that my friend from high school happened to be on the site too, and it really strengthened our friendship. Then around late 2006/early 2007, I got tired of anime and, upon finding out about Joe Mad, I became interested in a more comic style. I tried creating my own characters but they came out pretty bad. Also, I started to crave feedback on my artworks so that I may improve, but the people on deviantart dont really seem to offer that (most comments are either "cool!" or "nice job!"). I also was growing weary of the administration there, as they'd delete people's artworks (they deleted a fanart I did because I "didnt have permission from the original artist" or something. As if anyone gets permission when doing fanart, or could reach the artist to get permission even if they tried), move people's works from gallery to scraps for no good reason, or outright ban people (many of my friends there and people who did reference poses for me).

I started looking for other websites and saw this one in a google search in July 2007. This website looked familiar, as I did come here one time in the past but I was more into traditional works (whereas the majority of works here seemed to be digital). Years later though, I had matured more as an artist and developed an appreciation for digital works, and also realized the potential of what this website had to offer. It was truly great to find this website, as there's a never-ending influx of inspirational figures and works, and a communal sense in which people genuinely try to help others out in their artistic efforts.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    In 2002 I think my high school graphics class had a link to cgtalk or something similar and I followed that to The Thunderdome that was going on at that time. I think the first picture I saw was of half-man half-car (his torso was connected to the hood of the car, kinda like a centaur, but with a car.) with like cinder blocks and maybe a chainsaw or two thrown in there. Anyone have this picture?
    Anyway, It took me couple days to figure out that there were threads outside the Thunderdome, I had never been to a message board before CA.
    Last edited by Faxtar; May 15th, 2008 at 05:45 PM.
    “Figure out what you wanna do, then take a nap.”
    www.matthewstarbuck.com

Thanks
    um... I found out about this place through dA. haha. I forget exactly how, (either they still had the "most popular journal entries for today" thing going or someone else was complaining...) but I ended up at Snapesnoggers journal and she was complaining about CA and how they're MEEEEAN and called one of her Naga-thingies lumpy and all that good stuff.

So I checked out CA, and was like, "oh! this place is neat" made an account and abandoned it weeks later... haha, I came back a year after that about and reclaimed my account and start being a part of the community! 's Since I was far more serious about art now then I was then! YAY!
    MY SKETCHBOOK

Sketchbook Support Group!
    JTAART
    M-MIN
    KASHMIR

Thanks
    through GFXARTIST in 2002-2003

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    I wanted to be a video game artist so i enrolled in a video game art and design degree at the art institute in san diego. After being there about 6 months i realised it was mostly a 3d school and started looking for some kind of website or community exactly like this where i could be around other people wanting to be concept artists.
    I heard this site mentioned by a few people but didn't know much about it. I would stop by and look at the thumbnails of the artist at the homepage of conceptart.org and the first couple times i logged in and i thought that, that was all the site was about. Then someone told me that all the good stuff is in the forums. So i checked out the forums and was blown away with all the badass stuff.
    Anyway, i lingered around the site logging in once or twice every few months, only looking for a few minutes, then i got really interested in the sketchbooks section. Well, to end this story quick, about 6 months after discovering the site i made a sketchbook and doing that was probably the best move i've made since moving out of my parents house when i was 18 (i was about 21 when i found conceptart.org, i'm 24 now). I really like having a sketchbook because i can easily go back and look at drawings from 2 years ago and see how much i've improved, and it pushes me to improve more. I attribute most of my motivation to learn more, and a lot of what i've learned like recommendations of books to check out, nearby figure drawing classes in my area, the basic fundamental art (perspective, anatomy etc.) to this site, and thats my story. Oh and I now am employed as a full time environment concept artist, and happily doodle my life away (and occasionally am asked to 3d model . )
    Last edited by ArtZealot; May 15th, 2008 at 06:54 PM.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Honestly don't remember, probably through an artists links page.

Thanks
    man, I was actually going to start a thread about this topic

I used to read this shitty webcomic Apple Geeks (sucky webcomics are the rule, not the exception, I know). The artist linked to Pete König's maquette tutorial (http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287) and I found it fascinating. I started sculpting, then naturally found my way to the other forums. It's strange to think that if I hadn't checked that one webcomic on that one day, then my life would be completely different and I wouldn't have whatever amount of artistic skill I possess and I wouldn't be going to SVA on their biggest scholarship.
    Last edited by AldoKatayanagi; May 15th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I find it hilarious that Snogger is probably responsible for more people finding this site than any other one person.

I followed a link from the long gone ASFA forum to some of Foster's WIP threads.
    Last edited by Elwell; May 15th, 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I can't really remember how I got here. I probably was googling artist's forums, or something like that and stumbled across CA. I didn't join right away, because I'm more of a traditional artist (you know, paint, canvas, things that look like things) and I didn't think the site would offer me much. Eventually I came across a discussion that I wanted to post to, and I opened an account.

Now I have even more things to waste my time on.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    discovered sinix on deviantart about 3 years back, he had CA activity entries posted there which led me here

Thanks
    I actually signed up the very first time CA went online. Didn't have anything to share artwise back then and photobucket/imageshack weren't available yet (didnt have the funds for the $25-30/month webhosting fees that were being charged back then). When the first forum crashed happened I just went into lurk mode until Photobucket showed up and for some reason years of attending life drawing drop-ins suddenly became usable for me.

Thanks
    through feng zhu's site

Thanks
    I did a search for "concept art" for inspiration and...bam!

Thanks
    for awhile dA had a link to this site on their front page under "partners". Concept art was something I was interested in so I checked it out. Lo and behold I found more awesomeness in this site alone than all others combined.
    My Level Up Pages
    ------
    Composition 1.1
    Drawing 1.1

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mazouko View Post
    I came here through the Encyclopedia Dramatica article about about Snapesnogger.
    Bwahahah! That's priceless.

I came here thanks to a friend, Shiwoo.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    A friend, Darth Massacre (member here) came across me getting pissed with some little would-be artists on another site, and suggested I come over here and get pissed at a better class of idiots. He was right...you guys ARE more fun.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    When Neverwinter Nights first came out, I started assembling all the fantasy portraits I could find into one file for use in our persistent game world. I'm pretty sure it was the biggest one around, with something like 3500 PC portraits all formatted into the appropriate targa sizes (H, L, M, S and T.) It was a mind numbingly arduous process, hunting down all the images, but I made it a point to learn the names of all the artists, so I could include them in the credits list. Later, when Obsidian picked up the sequel, I was a vocal proponent of 2d custom portraits over 3d head shots… Argued the point till I was blue in the face, extolling the virtues of amateur portraiture, explaining its importance for the franchise, and dropping names of artists wherever I could. It was like a six month debate that we eventually lost to the 3d crowd, but I learned a lot about concept art in the process and grew to really appreciate the innovations that are happening in this field. I also took a liking to the 'boards,' and forum's communication generally.

Sometime later, a random Google search on Marc Taro lead me to CA.org
    I was pretty much amazed to discover how many of my favorite artists were already hanging out together here on the interweb. I’ve been continually impressed by the things that go on at CA, and I'm glad I finally found out about this place. Many thanks to everyone who keeps it going. This is the site of record for cool art the world over, and should prove a valuable resource for future generations of artists.
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; May 16th, 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Actually can't remember how I found this place, but I'm ever thankful that it happened.

Thanks
    Found it through Feng Zhu's (I think?) old timey website back in 2003. Annoying how I can remember that, and not the Physics formulas I should have been memorising about the same time.
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    I found CA through some guy who posted a link over at 4chan (/ic/).
    About the same time I began drawing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    Links section in gfxartist.com. At first I didn't really got interested in this forum but after some time I visited it again and fell in love with the whole sketchbook threads idea. It was great motivation to draw regularly even if it's just unfinished doodles.

Thanks
    Through the grapewine.

That is, I was working on hobby project game with several people, doing concepts. One of the 3d guys said that his friend was here, and that this place rocked, and that they needed more Norwegians... (They're both Norwegian... )

I looked around, found out it was a great place for people like me (after I had stopped drooling in the FF section) with lots of resources and stuff to make me better. And I befriended the friend of the friend.

I think I can say that buying a Wacom tablet hadn't even hit me as a possibility before I came here, I was an all pencil person, that did oil paints as experiments.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Imnapl is offline Don't follow in my footsteps...seriously I run into walls
    Thanks
    I saw one of my old friends (Vhan Juju) on here and started kind of watching over his shoulder and then got interested. I lurked for a while then I made an account. Recently I made a sketchbook too.

I'm a lot happier here than I was at DA.

Thanks
    I was refered to here by Imnapl. hey, there you are, what a coincidence. HI!!!
    The tiger lies low, not from fear, but for aim.

Thanks
    Well... it was a natural progression I think as I got older. Each linked to another...

Gaia = 11-14
    Deviant Art = 15-16
    CGTalk = 17-19
    Concept Art = 20-25

Kind of interesting when you think about it, the crowd represented my level of maturity and ability each time.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    i just type in the word conceptart...and there it was *clicked and joined* simple as that

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    I was a member of polykarbon... someone linked to Sijun and I hopped over there (contributing to it's 'amateur ridden' demise). Eventually someone linked to CA. Its wierd to think that I've been on CA for five years now. In that time I graduated high school, college, and now work as a concept artist.

Thanks
    I was once hard core Guild Wars player.
    (not any more, the game at least, artwork will always be awesome)

And once I was looking for some GW concept art on google and one picture directed me to the bestest site ever. Yay...!

~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks
    i got the link from samwises didiers(the blizzard concept artist dude) homepage in the FAQ section on sonsofthestorm.com
    i lurked for like a year or so, and then i was kinda stuck lawl, that was back in 2002-2003 i think.
    Last edited by Lotet; May 21st, 2008 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    hmmm.... i think i may have found this place through eatpooo... a LONG time ago.. like 6 or 7 years ago. i lurked for awhile... set up 2 accounts... got one banned and here i am.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast