Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Beer Thread

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Beer Thread

I'm not sure how this topic was brought up in a politically charged thread, but I consider it my duty to shift the atmosphere to something that welcomes the opposite of a thoughtful, serious conversation... that would be beer, my friends.

My go to beers as of late have been 3 Floyd's Alpha King Pale Ale (a phenomenal brewery from Munster, Indiana), and since I'm a Chicagoan anything Goose Island.

Name:  alphaking.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  25.2 KB

Goose Island's Honker's Ale is a standard around here, but what really shines are their premium beers that come in 4 packs (their Matilda (belgian-style) is one of my favorites, as well as the Pere Jacques and the Bourbon County Stout). Both have great brew pubs with excellent food, if you're in the area.

Name:  matilda.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  12.9 KB

You like hops? A lot of hops? Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA (or 120 if you're into 10 bottles of beer OUTSIDE of the bar) is a fucking champ, one of the best of it's kind for sure.

Name:  90Min.JPG
Views: 1282
Size:  33.3 KB

As for Belgian Styles, I'm a fan of Delerium Tremens (named after the withdrawal shakes an alcoholic gets when they abstain from drinking)... Duvel is tasty too. Chicago has a fine restaurant called the Hopleaf with, I believe, the largest international beer selection in the city. Food is bitchin', too.

Name:  del-tremens.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  35.3 KB

When it gets cold as hell and my balls begin their ascension into my abdomen, I usually go something darker and fuller like a stout or porter to knock them back out. Great Lakes Brewing Company's Edmond Fitzgerald porter is fantastic, and Anchor Steam's porter is delicious as well. I like New Holland's The Poet stout quite a bit, but an Old No. 38 Stout has been my go to towards the end of the winter.

Obviously, I like beer. I can talk about this shit forever, so hopefully there are a few more out there that can do the same.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to strych9ine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahah that is fucking hilarious. i just got back, finished my last A-level-exam, opened a bottle of beer, thinking of how much I love it and then klicked the "lounge"link .......guess its more fun if you've actually been in the situation yourself.....

anyways here's mine.....good ol german "oettinger" pretty much the cheapest beer you can get here in germany. 6 bottles (half a liter each) for 2 Bucks INCLUDING 60 cents of deposit for each bottle

Attached Images Attached Images  
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice variety- I love finding a place that has a huge selection and just going crazy- easy way to blow 50 bucks no doubt.

Can't think of too much off the top of my head but can make some recomendations as far as decent price-

tetleys- nice and creamy english ale
    The Beer Thread

Smokin up some BBQ? Nice sunny hot day? Yuengling is nice and light but flavorful-

The Beer Thread

Blue Moon- belgian on a budget- sweet creamy -not as heavy than the micro brew or more expencive belgian though- they also started doing other brews like a winter ale and summer ale but I haven't tried em.

The Beer Thread

I know theres more but it's early
    -cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you and i can go drinking. Cheers!

Last edited by Robert.B; May 15th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gloominati, if I go German I usually go Spaten Optimator (usually out of a ginormous 64oz glass boot around Oktoberfest). Beerfrau! BOOT!

Name:  spaten-optimator.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  42.8 KB

Hacker-Pschorr is a perfect spring beer for me... light and crisp as hell. I'll be having a few tonight if all goes well.

Name:  hacker-pschorr.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  167.4 KB

DECYPL, Tetley's is pretty tasty... after a few it becomes a challenge to keep all that head off of your nose, haha. You had Fuller's ESB? Great English style pub ale.

Name:  fullers-esb.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  156.4 KB

Out in Seattle for the workshop I drank the shit out of Red Hook's ESB... that area of the country was a whole new beer heaven for me to explore.

Name:  redhook_esb.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  87.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just one brand deserves my worship: Jever
    The Beer Thread

my true love

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw, Oregon. Why I won't move from this grand state. Beer. Craft beer...microbrews......no need to touch the foreign products as the local offerings are so damn good. Screw coffee, the beautiful landscape, the Cascades, the amazing restaurants... I'm here for the beer.

A meal in a pint....

Name:  deschutesblackbutte.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  13.5 KB

Just looking at that fine brew brings a tear to my eye. sniff.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaS View Post
    Aw, Oregon. Why I won't move from this grand state. Beer. Craft beer...microbrews......no need to touch the foreign products as the local offerings are so damn good. Screw coffee, the beautiful landscape, the Cascades, the amazing restaurants... I'm here for the beer.

A meal in a pint....

Name:  deschutesblackbutte.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  13.5 KB

Just looking at that fine brew brings a tear to my eye. sniff.
    See, that's half my reasoning right there for why I want to make a transition to the Northwest coast. Manny's, Pyramid, Red Hook... it's goddamned delicious out there. I've never had that particular brew before, I'm going to see if I can find it around here.

And Fat Tire is delicious Mark, you're damn right. 1554 is a nice black ale made by the same brewer, New Belgium.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine View Post
    See, that's half my reasoning right there for why I want to make a transition to the Northwest coast. Manny's, Pyramid, Red Hook... it's goddamned delicious out there. I've never had that particular brew before, I'm going to see if I can find it around here.

And Fat Tire is delicious Mark, you're damn right. 1554 is a nice black ale made by the same brewer, New Belgium.
    Dude, some years ago I had to go to spend a week in Chicago for training (for my job). I could NOT find Black Butte anywhere, and by that time, the stuff was a major part of my blood...the stuff was flowing in my veins I drink so much of it. As soon as I got back home, the first thing I did was open a bottle.....aw, relief.

Maybe you can now? Gawd, I hope so. It's a beautiful porter with a hint (just a hint) of chocolate. I've yet to find another porter that beats it in taste.

Anyways, for anyone who likes Fat Tire - there is another option you gotta try: Boont Amber Ale. Higher alcohol content (7%, I believe), so it has a tendency to sneak up on ya. Nice tasty amber ale, too.

Name:  100_2444.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  23.5 KB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uuhhhhh this thread is making my mouth water!

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh also

the beer of the bahamas kalik- mm so delicious

The Beer Thread

and while we're at it- red stripe-

The Beer Thread

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no aficionado, but I love Fat Tire.

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

SketchbookWebsiteBlog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as cider goes, on a hot summers day, Magners is the champs drink to have in a glass with some ice. There's also Bulmers which I believe was the old name Magners went under in the past, but it's just the same, although a little sweeter if I remember coorectly.:
    The Beer Thread

Additionally, Strongbow, which i'm having a pint of right now:

The Beer Thread

As far as Ales go, I tried a few when I was down the south of England for a couple of days, but i forget their names. I just remember they were tastey as hell. Black Sheep is is a pretty good ale, though. Good to have when you come in from the rain and cold:

The Beer Thread

I love the taste of all the I.P.As that i've tried, too. From what I hear, though, most UK I.P.As arn't the real deal compared to the originals, but they still usually have a good strength and taste to them.

For lagers, I prefer Red Stripe. Tastey, and fairly stong, too.
    The Beer Thread

And also Kronenbourg, which is nice and crisp.
    The Beer Thread

Last edited by B u r l; May 15th, 2008 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stay away from this shit. This is by far the worst beer i have ever had. Its been 3 years since I had it and i still can taste it. I bought it back when i was in colledge. It was finals and me and my buddies were pretty stressed so we deiced we needed some beer to take the edge off. I went to this local corner store and saw this cheap stuff in a 4 pack for $2.00. Well seeing as how that fit into my poor student price range i bought it and took it back to school for consumption. When my one buddy sipped it he almost spit it all over his monitor. this stuff tase like liquid ear wax and urine, its flat and has no tastful qualities.If ever you see it in your town,state, or where ever petition it to be removed quickly!

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorite top three:

Sapporo (Japan)

Schneider Weiss (Germany whole wheat)

Kronenbourg (France)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gloominati - Oettinger is horrible; especially when not cold enough
    here my fav atm
    Attachment 369511

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipMcgee View Post
    My favorite top three:

Sapporo (Japan)

Schneider Weiss (Germany whole wheat)

Kronenbourg (France)

mmmmmm...Sapporo & sake mmmmm...

I'll be in Mexico this weekend. Any good suggestions? I know that it's kinda mob rule down there and distribution's a different beast. I usually hang with Tecate or Pacifico - beats drinking the water.

--SSG #46--

SketchbookWebsiteBlog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    markwinters- tecate ok..its kind of like the coors lite of mexican beer- drink it ice cold or don't drink it -I'd say pacifico, corona, negro modelo, modelo especial.- there is also something with a name similar to "antonio y cleopatra" but thats not it thats the name of cigars.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    Stay away from this shit. This is by far the worst beer i have ever had. Its been 3 years since I had it and i still can taste it. I bought it back when i was in colledge. It was finals and me and my buddies were pretty stressed so we deiced we needed some beer to take the edge off. I went to this local corner store and saw this cheap stuff in a 4 pack for $2.00. Well seeing as how that fit into my poor student price range i bought it and took it back to school for consumption. When my one buddy sipped it he almost spit it all over his monitor. this stuff tase like liquid ear wax and urine, its flat and has no tastful qualities.If ever you see it in your town,state, or where ever petition it to be removed quickly!
    My brother-in-law and I got smashed on Mickey's and my completely sober wife drove us to see 12-Monkey's in a sold-out theater. One of my best hazy memories... not so much so for my wife.

Also...there is a secret to Mickey's. They sell it in wide mouth bottles for a reason. It's not a "sippin" beer...you chug it. A six pack shouldn't last you more than ten minutes, and who can taste anything that fast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got my dad Mr Beer brew your own beer kit for Fathers Day last year and another brewer this Fathers Day, hes making his own Black'n Tans

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the way, am I the only one who went out and bought some alcohol after viewing this thread? I'm too weak, dammit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Two of my lifelong, true loves.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The worse i've tasted is this... I think I need a good few more years experience before I can enjoy more than half a can. The Beer Thread

32. The Following User Says Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Burl View Post
    The worse i've tasted is this... I think I need a good few more years experience before I can enjoy more than half a can.
    Experience has nothing to do with it, Super is foul, foul stuff and will always taste that bad.

My current beers of choice..
    The Beer Thread

The Beer Thread

By the way, am I the only one who went out and bought some alcohol after viewing this thread?
    Nope.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, before you guys get carried away, someone explain what it is about beer that is so delicious to them. I've tried plenty of beers over the years and with a few exceptions it all tasted like pissy swill to me... and all the same pissy swill. Guinness (when it's poured well from a nice clean tap) is pretty delicious, and I actually do like Red Stripe.... but ALL other beer I've had just did nothing for me.

I like wine... whites more than reds, and even some rum and other spirits... I just can't get a handle on beer and why it is so popular.

I'm not trying to be negative in this thread, I seriously want someone to explain it to me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingwa View Post
    OK, before you guys get carried away, someone explain what it is about beer that is so delicious to them. I've tried plenty of beers over the years and with a few exceptions it all tasted like pissy swill to me... and all the same pissy swill. Guinness (when it's poured well from a nice clean tap) is pretty delicious, and I actually do like Red Stripe.... but ALL other beer I've had just did nothing for me.

I like wine... whites more than reds, and even some rum and other spirits... I just can't get a handle on beer and why it is so popular.

I'm not trying to be negative in this thread, I seriously want someone to explain it to me!
    It's an acquired taste, everyone seems to have their own faction of the alcoholic beverage world to side with. I've always found GOOD beers to be complex and extremely varied in tastes, but you notice only if you are already on board with a particularly acquired taste.

Take wine for example... I know I like certain types over others, but as it is now I can't really determine what makes one better than the other. It's never been my thing. Friends of mine drink only whiskey as well, but I'll be damned if I could figure out what makes a whiskey taste good. I just know I drink it if I feel like getting particularly shitty.

Beer's just always been delicious to me, what can I say. Give a good new beer a chance every once in a while if you've got someone with you who knows where to find it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingwa View Post

Like Cody said, it's def an acquired taste. At first it was all about getting loaded on Keystone with your buddies in your backyard. But after a while you start trying other brands and notice some taste better than others. Almost all of them better than Keystone.

--SSG #46--

SketchbookWebsiteBlog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is a place in Dublin called the Porter house that serves beers from around the world on draft

ever notice that beers taste much better when you have them in the country they are brewed in

had Tiger beer in Asia and Heineken in Holland.... no comparison when drinking them back home.

favourite beers Heineken, Tiger, Erdiner (German)

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Corona
    Yuengling

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MarkWinters - try Sol really good or go for the touro drink of choice - dos equis

40. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1