Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Me, too...

...as much as I hate water...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Underwater avatar?

No idea what you're talking about.....

.... god I love that modified cat avatar..... can I haz it?

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm, having a prize a person can download is a great idea! That alone gives everyone from anywhere on the Earth a reason to enter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think we should do a naked theme some time...and keep the avatar changing tradition with that...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will get raped, but I might as well try as hard as I possibly can. I am so poor that I wont be able to afford tickets to the workshop.
    Here is my opportunity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, Fozzy you're avatar pawns all of ours. Love it!

I was googling deep sea creatues and came across this rare deep sea UNICORN SHARK!!

DEEP: Undersea Utopia - Information Thread

*WANTS*

EDIT: Oh POO!
    Apparently that shark isn't real... well, it's a real dead shark that someone put a coyote tooth through (dead specimen before the tooth insertion).

Last edited by Jessica Hook; May 16th, 2008 at 07:57 AM.

Great idea guys this sounds fun. I think i am up for it if i stay sober.

I was thinking of doing a kind of sketchbook approaced. A loose sketch of a city maybe a closer up shot of a building or something from that a few designs of charachters that might live there and maybe render one of them fully and so on.

If i do it that way and then have to split the pics up and post them in different treads it might lose coherancy. Any chance of there going to be a thread where i could post everything in the one post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    IMPORTANT QUESTION!

If I'm going for a deep sea diver look for the humans, where you really can't see the person who's in it, AND going to do a lot of weapons and vehicles, do I put the diving suits in IDW or CHOW?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, let's see where this goes...Rabid is in

dhchamp is offline wondering why i didnt born rich in a place where its always nice, warm and sunny
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me to , me to. im in. at least ill try to make something decent. but no way im going to win. but that doesnt matter. will have lot of free time in 2 weeks or so.
    cool theme. though i never done a underwater thing. going to be hard....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds great!

how many pictures are we making?! one for each section or what?

whoooo cant wait to get started

Rune

SMOKE HARDER

MY BLOG'z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Serpian, I'm guessing this would be a close call--and there's going to be many of them with this challenge. Just guessing here--IF the image is a person in a "costume" (something that protects or covers the person without obscuring the fact that he/she is human--or non-human--it would probably fit best in CHOW. This would pretty much include complex environmental suits as well, just like a space suit with somebody in it would qualify for CHOW, since it's part of what makes the character what he/she is.

On the other hand, detachable parts that can be removed without injury to the character, such as tools, weapons, vehicles, etc., would probably be better in IDW. That doesn't necessarily mean that those same devices couldn't appear in the CHOW image also, but I'd make them obviously a minor component in that presentation.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so pumped. all ouuutt time

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick thought: I have noticed that allot of people are creating either a dystopian or anti-Utopian world instead of a utopian one. I’m just wondering how far outside the Utopian Ideal we are allowed to go. I’m all for a bit of turmoil, as it adds interest. I’m just concerned that someone may invest allot of time in this project just to find out they are not hitting the brief. I'd like to know whether we can pursue those other two paths. I’m happy either way, as both topics are interesting and I will probably stay more or less with the utopian ideal anyway, but I just don’t want anyone to invest too much time going in the wrong direction or get disqualified.

I’m also tremendously envious of all the underwater avatars. Look like I’ll have to add that to my ‘to draw list’.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm approaching the idea of Utopia from the direction of "mutual preservation," rather than the purist idea of an idealistic social utopia. We're stuck underwater which is dangerous, so we all have to like each other enough to not do something stupid on a big scale. That doesn't rule out squabbles, defense against a possible future opponent, and the usual domestic crap and infighting that happens in any neighborhood. There's also the potential for rather extreme consequences if there is a mental failure in one of the inhabitants--psychosis, and other socially dangerous mental quirks like...oh, a tendency to arson or blowing up things when you're pissed.

This kind of utopia would require counter-measures just as normal air societies do--emergency/hospital, police, social workers, etc. That doesn't make it a dystopia, just a realistic "utopia." It's not perfect, and can't be, but it is the best we can do, which may allow it to survive where a true utopia would not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sexing mine up...any kind of utopia has to have tons of hot sexual aeon-flux type situations.

Utopia is so relative...

I'm already brewing up my hentai panel in my mind...I can see the tentacles now...

(actually something a bit more subtle)

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "(actually something a bit more subtle)"

Prehensile whiskers?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ilae ... you polysyllabic fool
    are you TRYING to make thinga more complex than they already are?

Folks... yes... Ilaes way is one way of utopia.
    Do the research
    you see we are really try to make an art utopia
    and we want all your input...
    we are going to succede from the the world and have an art utopia
    this is just the planning stages
    WE WANT YOUR INPUT!

IS THIS AN AIR SOCIETY?
    OR NON AIR?
    HUMAN? NONHUMAN? MUTATED HUMAN?
    YOU GET TO DEcIDE

WOOT!

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok well i know myself... so im just gonna say have fun everyone!

I know how my ass doesnt ever end up participating, but if get a chance, I will try my best to participate, plus, those prizes are super sweet incentive to get off my ass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NOW wha'd I do, Roxie?!?! Want me to go hide in the frigie again?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn you CA for keeping me from learning my exams! Still, great stuff, but there are some things I don't really get:

- Are we supposed to just work out a concept of our own, or is this meant to be a collaborative event? What I mean is, if the idea was to create an 'epic underwater world', there has to be some sort of cooperation to make it work together. This would be rather tricky. But if people set out to follow their own concept, there may be a lot of different approaches that don't work together. Forgive me if I'm confused, but what did you have in mind?

- Should the civilization closely resemble human civilization? I wanted to create a civilization that has evolved out of natural sea-creatures, but of course, being underwater, a whole different world, there will be great differences in appearance, communication etc. Would that still classify as a civilization, event though it may not resemble 'the human way'?

Those are just some questions that popped to mind when thinking it out...hope you can clear this up.
    O, and here's something I wouldn't want to keep from you. In fact, I think it so cool I'm definitely going to use this in my designs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrG...eature=related

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we are in the brain storming stage. We want as many , and as diverse ideas as possible. all of the choices you out lines are possible. and a zillion more. show us you ideas.....

*snuggles the kitty, even though he is wet and cold *

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So we COULD make a dystopia and get away with it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only if you can explain VISUALLY why this dystopia ia actially a Utopia.... visually=with out words!

just because we are willing to define "Utopia" in a very broad sense. ... if you present us with a dystopia... chances are it will be rejected.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A list of random ideas and thoughts...

feel free to steal or modify anything that might help.

Humans: require safe air containment structure of various sizes and/or types.
    Humans: habitat could be mobile rather than permanently anchored.
    Human and non-humans: Both on earth, with non-human water breathing
    Human on alien world: See first two above.
    Human and alien on alien world: See first three above

What/How do the inhabitants...
    Eat?
    Do for "living?"
    Establish social constructs like marriage, family structures, raise young?
    Why there--mining, colonization, accidental crash landing, lost?
    Is there land at all, and if so, how do water-breathers cope?
    How is farming/protein (animal), and lack of sunlight handled?
    Cope with religion and political structure?
    is all development tech/mechanical, or is it also organic adaptation of existing life/structures?
    If air breathers, how is safety guaranteed, long range and short term?
    Entertain themselves and each other?
    Communicate across the air/water barrier, as well as across species if more than one?
    How do raw materials get processed, especially those that involve dangerous by-products or high heat?

Add anything else you can think of if you wish...

ADD: In a minimum of 16 seconds, Chaos will hit me with a big stick...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got 1 1/2 EOW's and 1 CHOW so far, uncolored.... since Wednesday...is that slow?

tentacle whiskers...I can think of several practical applications...

I'm going for a humanesque world, myself, with a twist. D:

---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty then, I'll give you some of my ideas. Not much sketching to show right now, I was planning this out in my head first, and I've got exams to blame. Still, I have some ideas for you...

There are many possibilities for this, because there is yet so much to be discoverd in the depths of the sea. I didn't want to drag us humans down there, because a) Man wasn't made to live there, and b) We'd never feel at home, which seems quite important for a decent Utopian society. Besides, it's way more fun to come up with your own sea-creatures, and I don't mean humans with fins stuck onto them, but real creatures that might just have evolved that way.

That being said, I went to scribble some thumbnails, and I was really attracted to do something with crustaceans. I figured they'd have a natural instinct to protect themselves, hide within their armors, so what if they'd just have the intelligence and communicative skills to work together and build an even stronger armour, a city even.
    That's where another one of my ideas came in, yet again because of a thumbnail. I drew this jellyfishy creature that seemed to have real grace, a real ancient, wise attitude. Jellyfish just have this magical glow around them, with their ghostly appearance and stateliness (if that's the proper word). So what if they'd posess a great intelligence, and actually be able to steer the minds of the lesser creatures? They could be worshipped as gods. Then I needed to connect this idea with the crustaceans, so I came up with a little backstory for this, almost like a biblical creation story:

Deep in the ocean lived the ancient and wise Deep Lords (the jellyfish). They had seen the creation of the oceans, and were as old as time. Within the Deep, they lived and prospered, until a great danger presented itself. A massive monster called the Bleak Leviathan came from the deepest depths and drove the Deep Lords out of their homes. The few survivors fled upwards out of the Dim Chasm, a wide crack in the ocean bed that led into the Deep. Here, they asked the Crustacean tribes to help them, to build them a fortress strong enough to shelter from the Bleak Leviathan, and in return they would teach the Crustaceans their secrets, and promised them a paradise. Mesmerized by the appearance and aura of these newcomers, and fearing that the Leviathan they'd been told about would come for them as well, they set to work. Within a short time, they built a great Shell strong enough to keep any enemy out. And just in time too, because not more than a day later, a deafening shriek was heard, and the Crustaceans hid deep within their Shell. The Leviathan attacked and attempted to break the Shell. The fortress shook violently, but the Shell withstood the attack, and the Leviathan gave up, returning to the Depths below. The Deep Lords now owed the Crustaceans, and swore to stay with them and be their teachers. The Crustaceans deemed the Deep Lords very wise, and were prepared to accept their leadership. And so it ends well...though it is said that someday, the Deep Lords will return to the depths and fight their nemesis, but at least they'll have the Crustaceans by their side...

So, that's quite a lot of text, I don't believe I've ever written such a long post. The society is led by the Deep Lords, who communicate with the Crustaceans (a temporary name btw) through their Chosen, which are actually puppets of the DL. Not involuntary though, it is deemed an honour to put your ego aside and serve the DL, and the Chosen enjoy much respect. Under this class there are three main classes, each with a specific task: The Military Class, tasked with the defense of the City and hunting for food, the Construction Class, tasked with the construction of the ever expanding city, and maintaining it, and the Agricultural Class, tasked with the production of food (seaweed, shoals of small fish) and other materials, and nursing and raising the offspring (which happens in large incubation spaces).

That's probably about it for now. I've included a schematic version of the Class structure. I doubt if you can read it though, my handwriting sucks. If you've read the whole thing, tell me what you think. It's still early in the game so there's enough room for changes and further development.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yngling; May 17th, 2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Removed WIP's due to innapropiate thread judgment:P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your jellyfish are very cool...

---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yngling: WIPs are probably better off in the respective threads (all these look like COW, for example), than in here. This is more of a 'discussion' zone, if you get my drift. You'll get a lot more feedback if you send your stuff to the areas where people are already posting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.