getting your first job

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

getting your first job

hi everyone.
    i was just wondering, how old everyone was when they got there first job in the "industry" (concept art, illustration etc).
    what was the quality like. etc etc.
    i've been looking at a few job possitions for game concept art (not that i was expecting to apply) and nearly all request 3-5 years experience in the industry. how are people just starting out supposed to get jobs?

also, as i'm in school (and will be for the next 4 years still) is there some sort of part-time option where i could work from home? does that type of job even exist in concept art jobs?
    has anyone got experience working for game/film companies part-time while in school?

i know my questions are all over the place but any advice would be greatley appreciated.

thanks.

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't work in the industry yet, but I think I can help answer some of your questions. The best way to gain experience while in highschool and from home that'll be good for a resume would be working on a Mod for a game.... you most likely won't see any money from this, but'll it'll give you really good experience. You can probably find some of these listed in the Non-Paying Jobs forum here.

There are other ways to gain experience. Some school specializing in game design count as work experience. I know the school I went to for a year did that (Digipen Institute of Technology). You can also get a job at a game company doing something else other then concept art and that'll give you experience in the industry... like maybe being a texture artist or something. But if you have a damn good portfolio you may not even need prior experience... companies may still hire you, so don't not send your portfolio out if the company say "must have 3-5 industry experience" because you may still get the job.

Hope this helps ya.

Thanks
    hi, thanks for the advice.

i've been offered a few mod concept places, but i stupidly said no (because of no pay). i'll go around and look for some more. i realise now that it would be great experience (as i've only ever done work for myself, so no deadlines etc).

i very much dount my art work is even close to being "damn good" so i'll stick with the mod idea

thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.