calarts or germany?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

calarts or germany?

hey everyone,
    so i have a bit of a problem...i got accepted into calarts for character animation; however i also got a full scholarship to germany for one year where i'll be staying with a host family and going to high school there. now the thing is i really want to go to both: calarts because i love storyboarding and am beginning to love animation. also when i went to visit i really liked it and i think i will in the end really love going there. i also got a 12,000 dollar scholarship from calarts and 9,700 from cal grant...but i want to go to germany for a year because..come on, its a year in another country for pretty much free. i get to learn about another culture and language and who knows what else. i know i love art and i know that going to calarts will be awesome for me, but i just feel like theres so many things i havent experienced yet and even though i know i can travel any other time i want during or after college, i just feel like this is the right moment for me. so i pretty much dont know what to do. ive talked to a lot of people about it and my friends say germany, while my family says calarts, but i feel that both of them are kind of bias in a way...i would really love to go to germany, but something my parents brought up is that my financial situation may be different next year and i might not get the same amount of money and i also might not make it into calarts the next year...so i guess what im asking is for your opinion about this and what are my chances of making it to calarts next year because i have no idea...

heres some stuff that i included in my portfolio for calarts:

figure drawings:
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?

other stuff:
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?
    calarts or germany?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to edds_bestfriend For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You never know when you can travel again, on a differrent country for free????? come on just do it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CalArts will be there when you get back. Just don't fall out of practice in art.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Deutschland ber CalArts.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Germany

Germany:just dont stop drawing, draw more, and don't make any money

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you spoken to the CalArts program about deferral, and whether that would affect your financial aid?

..:|sketches|:..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you got that money at CalArts this year, you can get it again next year. Go to Germany!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where did you study life drawing? Was it offered by your high school?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you really want to go to Germany then go there. It'll be a great experience. Like everyone else said, CalArts isn't going anywhere. Besides, you'll have time to improve you work even more, you're not going to suddenly regress. If you're really bothered about things just call the school up/email them and talk to them about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Rain View Post
    Have you spoken to the CalArts program about deferral, and whether that would affect your financial aid?
    yeh, ive talked to one of the counselors about it and she said that they dont give deferrals and that if i dont attend this year then i have to do the application all over again next year....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MurdokX View Post
    You never know when you can travel again, on a differrent country for free????? come on just do it!
    i really want to do both! aaaugh, its really hard for me to decide...

Where did you study life drawing? Was it offered by your high school?
    yeh, i go to an arts high school.

If you really want to go to Germany then go there. It'll be a great experience. Like everyone else said, CalArts isn't going anywhere. Besides, you'll have time to improve you work even more, you're not going to suddenly regress. If you're really bothered about things just call the school up/email them and talk to them about it.
    i guess im just more worried about letting an oppurtunity slip by. ive talked to a counselor about it and she said that my chances of getting into the program depends on how good the next year is...and i may not get the same financial assistance...

Last edited by edds_bestfriend; May 16th, 2008 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Deutschland ber CalArts.
    this message would be too short otherwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Lizzybeth is giving you good advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm biased, I would pick Germany, simply because I was born there. It is a great opportunity, but so is the financial aid for CalArts. Germany is a new experience, getting a taste of other cultures can only improve your knowledge and art, giving you a well rounded portfolio. Which is always a plus, yes? Do you think you'll be able to go to Germany after CalArts?

Feel free to look over the above. But I think this part is important.
    Maybe you should look at it as a win-win situation. Not many people get these opportunities. Either way you pick you benifit from it. Which choice will help you out in the long run? How will this benefit you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man. Go to Germany!!
    You can always apply to CalArts again later. Hey, who knows, you'll most likely improve much more not just in art techniques but also in gaining life experiences and worldly perspectives over there. And then when you come back and reapply to CalArts you might have a stronger portfolio. And get more moneys

Go for it!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say go to Germany just because I'm going through a similar situation. Though I haven't been accepted into any colleges just yet I'm giving up a chance to study at Yale during the summer to live in Russia for two months.

Yaayy culture~

And hoommgg Thank you for putting up pieces from your portfolio - I'm currently looking into the calarts character animation program and so far it's my college of choice *A* Would it be alright if I asked you a few questions over PM?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Danuh View Post
    I would say go to Germany just because I'm going through a similar situation. Though I haven't been accepted into any colleges just yet I'm giving up a chance to study at Yale during the summer to live in Russia for two months.

Yaayy culture~

And hoommgg Thank you for putting up pieces from your portfolio - I'm currently looking into the calarts character animation program and so far it's my college of choice *A* Would it be alright if I asked you a few questions over PM?
    yeh, im pretty much leaning towards germany...wow, in russia for 2 months, sounds exciting!

and yeh, feel free to ask me anything!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck, and do stay in touch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, beeing a german, having been raised there and ever struggeled to get real decent art education here , Id say youd be totally outta your young mind if youd swap a Calarts scholarship for comming to a mostly rainy, pretty general unfriendly place. Okay I am exagerating, I love my country but I know its total shit on the art edu side. Germany will be here when you got your degree. NOTHING is worth a good education. I figure its gonna be a lot harder getting another Calarts scholarship when you didnt take one the first time. Talk about beeing dedicated.

My Tip, get your education foundation NOW, travel later. Beeing an US based artist youd prolly can couch surf germany for a whole year (feel yourself invited to mine) and have lots more fun than when youre tied to a german school. German education is not very good compared to some US schools anyway.

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didnt come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    where would you be in germany?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bbwolf View Post
    Well, beeing a german, having been raised there and ever struggeled to get real decent art education here , Id say youd be totally outta your young mind if youd swap a Calarts scholarship for comming to a mostly rainy, pretty general unfriendly place. Okay I am exagerating, I love my country but I know its total shit on the art edu side. Germany will be here when you got your degree. NOTHING is worth a good education. I figure its gonna be a lot harder getting another Calarts scholarship when you didnt take one the first time. Talk about beeing dedicated.

My Tip, get your education foundation NOW, travel later. Beeing an US based artist youd prolly can couch surf germany for a whole year (feel yourself invited to mine) and have lots more fun than when youre tied to a german school. German education is not very good compared to some US schools anyway.
    well the thing is, im not going to germany for art. im going for the experience of doing something else other then art. also i go to an art high school, so its not that exciting for me to go art college. to you it may just be germany because its your home, but germany for me is totally new and much more exciting then calarts. (i also live like 40 mins away from calarts..so...) hahaha, another words me going to calarts is like you going to germany. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Kfeeras View Post
    where would you be in germany?
    i would be in hedersleben for 1 month of language camp and then in Hamminkeln for 9 months.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, maybe with this background it is more interesting to come here. Still Id say edu first, travel later. But once in a while everyone needs a break.

Have you done some research on Hamminkeln, and is it a carefully thought thru choice, or just happens to be your destination by chance?

Hmmm. Right next to the german/netherland border. I can see wheres that making everything intersting. But without a car.... deep in the totally flat nothingness. Well, almost. Has its merrits too. A nice truck stop at the Autobahn at the Hamminkeln exit. Thats all I know about that place, btw. I have to pass thru there everytime I visit friends in NL.

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didnt come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by edds_bestfriend View Post
    well the thing is, im not going to germany for art. im going for the experience of doing something else other then art. also i go to an art high school, so its not that exciting for me to go art college.
    I'd say go to Germany and apply to Calarts later like others have said. However, you should be more than a little worried if you're not all that excited about going to art college. The animation industry is going to be filled with people who live and breathe art...and never really get sick of it, so keep that in mind while in Germany. Go enjoy yourself, learn from another culture and all that good stuff, but know your priorities. I would say go visit the museums when you can, particularly if you're going to be close to the NL.

Have fun in Deutschland!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bbwolf View Post
    Well, maybe with this background it is more interesting to come here. Still Id say edu first, travel later. But once in a while everyone needs a break.

Have you done some research on Hamminkeln, and is it a carefully thought thru choice, or just happens to be your destination by chance?

Hmmm. Right next to the german/netherland border. I can see wheres that making everything intersting. But without a car.... deep in the totally flat nothingness. Well, almost. Has its merrits too. A nice truck stop at the Autobahn at the Hamminkeln exit. Thats all I know about that place, btw. I have to pass thru there everytime I visit friends in NL.
    i was actually put there by chance, but im talking to my host mother over email and it just sounds like so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosimpson View Post
    I'd say go to Germany and apply to Calarts later like others have said. However, you should be more than a little worried if you're not all that excited about going to art college. The animation industry is going to be filled with people who live and breathe art...and never really get sick of it, so keep that in mind while in Germany. Go enjoy yourself, learn from another culture and all that good stuff, but know your priorities. I would say go visit the museums when you can, particularly if you're going to be close to the NL.

Have fun in Deutschland!
    yeh...thats why i want to take a break, because ive been around art so long i dont know if im doing it because i love it or just out of habit...well we'll see...

Members who have read this thread: 33