Red Riding Hood
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Red Riding Hood

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red Riding Hood

So I'm illustrating Red Riding Hood for my art foundation final major project. At the moment I'm playing around with different styles and approaches to illustration before turning it into more of my own beast.

Here is my WIP at bluefooted's (real name for my bibliography?) quirky method, a tribute to it if you will. I've read a couple of walk trough's of her approach. I particularly love the way she handles forests and trees (can you tell?) and knew it would transfer well to this story.

So please any thoughts on how to make this go smoother and improve the illustration overall.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No replies!?! for gods sake....

I really like what you've done, I feel I can't coment as yet, as its in a WIP stage, and well, once you've added more color, I'll comment....

But overall, a lovely tribute! - why not PM Bluefooted for her thoughts and link her to here? Also, I'd say have a butchers at LeFrans sketchthread too, shes got some nice stuff in there thats similar (in a way)

AAAannd last but not least, come visit the UK Group, (link in my signiture) I dunno if you have or not, but, hey, ya know....

Mx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the concept and I like the realization for now. I am waiting to see some more advanced WIP. Post often the wip so we can give you comments during the phases of work. The action is during day or night? Do you want to play with illumination or not?

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna
    "un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara a navigare"
    - Anjin Art Website - - Sketchbook - - Anjin Art Blog -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an update. I've tweaked the overall colours, added some more colours (don't want to throw it off colour wise ) and put in a subtle (I hope) texture off in the distance.

@Molly what about now? do the red and greens throw it off? I'm worried about making it too complex colour wise. I know fran a little bit and yes, i can see the similarities here, we are both starting at UWE come september . Ill check out the UK thread later on, I've got it subscribed atm.

anjin Here you go... I imagine it to be in the day but with not lots of direct sunlight coming through. I want it to be an ambient fairytale forest, swampy maybe? dagobah? What do you mean about illumination, do you mean adding a few magical light sources around?

Last edited by Smarty; May 14th, 2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: misread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartKyle View Post
    Here is an update. I've tweaked the overall colours, added some more colours (don't want to throw it off colour wise ) and put in a subtle (I hope) texture off in the distance.

anjin Here you go... I imagine it to be in the day but with not lots of direct sunlight coming through. I want it to be an ambient fairytale forest, swampy maybe? dagobah? What do you mean about illumination, do you mean adding a few magical light sources around?
    No no, I didn't mean something about magic lights, I meant light filtering between trees, with maybe some light effects. I don't know how to explain better in english; anyway, imagine a wood in a day light. Sunlight pass more in some areas and less in other creating light effects. Well, I believe you could play enough with that to improve atmosphere in your illustration. Groan.. I hope to be useful to you in some way, also with my bad english.

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna
    "un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara a navigare"
    - Anjin Art Website - - Sketchbook - - Anjin Art Blog -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this is really cool! I like it

I'm flattered that I get all the credit for the style, but I've basically just ripped off Arthur Rackham. You should check out his work - he's truly the master of twisty trees and has some really beautiful forest environments.

As for crits, you should avoid doing what I do wrong, which is not adding sufficient depth and/or not paying attention to lighting. But I guess that's a personal choice. If I was working on this, I'd add more trees to the background to give it a really dense forest look. You're going to need to add more, anyway, because right now the wolf's hand isn't resting on anything but thin air. As far as lighting - I actually quite like the flat, fairytale look (obviously), but I think you could push the depth to indicate a separation between the two characters, and give some more atmosphere.

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anjin; I tried dappled light briefly, I'm trying to keep the lighting simple, in deed it would probably look awesome, but at this point i think i would have to be very careful or otherwise over populate the image with points of interest.
    @bluefooted; thanks so much for your thoughts on this, it's much appreciated! Been checking out A.rackham again today, your right, very similar

I've tried to address the things you've noted. Mostly by making the background contrast with the foreground more and tweaking colours, especially the line work which now falls off in relation to its distance from the viewer. This also alleviated the problem off the wolf looking closer than the girl, but to help more so I matched his colour closer to the environment to help him blend more compared to the girl. I started on the trees in the background, but its getting late so I think I'm gonna leave it for a couple of days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small thing, but the bugs (or shrooms or whatever) on the tree roots really pop. They compete with RRR and the wolf for attention. I'd tone down their color or desaturate. Be sure to check values by switching to greyscale every so often.

Looking very nice!

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the other one!
    My only problem is that the tree on the left totally dominates the image. It's a great tree (although it looks a bit like an undersea creature), but you need to bring the focus back onto Red and the Wolf. I'd play down the contrast on the tree (darken the trunk and lighten the fungi), and punch up the saturation of the reds. Maybe even give the Wolf's eyes some glow.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree about the tree standing out too much. Those knots are the darkest part of the image and the tree is pretty much the lightest. It really competes with the red as the center of interest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with everyone about the tree, I desaturated and darkened the tree and lightened the fungi.

Also this time i thought I'd show you a bit of a mock up on how this will look like with text, which kinda bypasses the whole tree problem a bit as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is much much better then the other style you had befor!

i liked the gentle yellow of the trees rather then the blueness of the last version. maybe you should bring back the yellow, but less saturated then it was..
    in general i liked the colour theme of the one befor last. the last one seems like u put a blue trancparent overlay on the whole thing and it makes it a bit murky for my taste.

i think the wolf should go through some change. for once, he and RRH are not in the same language - RRH is a lot more simplyfied the he is. and i think he even looks a nicer perso then RRH. he actually looks like he's a nice fantastic creature who leaves in the forest, caught by surprize by RRH and sincerely wants to help her...

as for the text:
    the background should be more of the colour scheme of the illustation. light yellow or something like that. though i'm not sure it's the right way of putting it with the illustration. it might be a little too busy. try make a double-spread layout when the text is on one page and the illustration on the other..

good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this is probably extremely unhelpful...but I like the original lineart the best. of the color versions, your initial mono-hued version is my preference. did you consider perhaps using a more blue/green/grey palette for everything but the red coat? I think that could be a pretty powerful color scheme.

Thanks for dropping by my book!

Members who have read this thread: 1