Paintings to Pixels

View testimonialsView Artwork
    The Oneirologist is offline The truth is that all my work is done entirely in MS Paint.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Paintings to Pixels

Since the beginning of the digital age the internet and other electronic devices have become the dominant form of visual distribution and thus folks like myself that originated with traditional media have had to confront the issue of translating paint strokes into pixels in some way that produces authentic results.

Some of you may remember or may even still use such devices as copy stands with cameras but I've found them antiquated and cumbersome with terrible color results in artificial lighting. Then I began using a small-format scanner. For larger images I would scan multiple images and then stitch them together in photoshop, and I got pretty accurate results. However this option is limited because most small-format scanners have a raised or beveled edge making it difficult to press the original painting onto the glass where the resolution is optimal. There are some workarounds like working on papers and canvas only so that the flexibility of the ground allows you to compensate for that annoying edging, but this, too, is limiting.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a model of scanner that is free from raised edges or if anyone here has any other suggestions.

Does anyone have any other solutions to this problem? What is your process and how do you address this issue of effectively translating traditional media into pixels? Do you send of your illustrations to companies with large drumscanners? Do you have a picture taking method that is particularly effective?

Thanks!

-Joey

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    DSIllustration posted some info on how he photographs his work near the end of this tutorial, seems to work well.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45901

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.