Need Comic Book Artist! Book Almost At Sale!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need Comic Book Artist! Book Almost At Sale!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need Comic Book Artist! Book Almost At Sale!

Hello everybody!

I have been working with an artist for almost 8 months and he recently informed me he can not continue the project. I have no hard feelings, I wish him the best. But we were so close to being finished and I just set up meetings with Image, Dark Horse, Virgin, and Evil Ink Comics, all showing great interest once they saw the first few pages. The problem now is that I don't have an artist!

If anyone out there wants to jump on this project, please let me know. I'm looking for realistic, gritty type art but I'll look at anything sent my way. I wish I could pay much more, but a few hundred is all I have right now to spare, due to spending it on the last artist. My hope is that I and whoever draws can bring our talents together and sell this sucker! I am not an elitist or show off in any type or form, but I have a great feeling it will sell.

Here is the cover art by David Seidman (Se7en):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A suggestion: You should maybe include not only the art style you are looking for, but the genre of the story you are working on to get people interested, some clue of what they'd be working on. Realistic/gritty could be a crime story, or it could be a violent vampire story, or realistic sci-fi. Comics are a collaboration, and it's always best when you have an artist who is enjoying the work they are doing. Have you decided on the artist's split on the back end?

Also, out of curiousity why did you wait until it was nearly done to shop it around? I thought the usual practice was to pitch the storyline and the first few pages (or some key pages) to show the art you intend. If the project was shopped earlier I'm sure the chances of keeping the artist would have been greater. Few artists want to bail on a project that will definitely see print (especially since that's when you get paid).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cover tells us nothing about what sort of interior art style you need. Howabout one or two pages of that, or else a style comparsion artist example.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    The cover tells us nothing about what sort of interior art style you need. Howabout one or two pages of that, or else a style comparsion artist example.
    Good point. If the artist is picking up the story part way through it would be important that they can come close in style so it maintains the look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dweller View Post
    A suggestion: You should maybe include not only the art style you are looking for, but the genre of the story you are working on to get people interested, some clue of what they'd be working on. Realistic/gritty could be a crime story, or it could be a violent vampire story, or realistic sci-fi. Comics are a collaboration, and it's always best when you have an artist who is enjoying the work they are doing. Have you decided on the artist's split on the back end?
    The story really has no genre. It involves a man helping a little girl exact revenge on her parents' murderer. So it will have violence, some brutal, and realism is key, but like I said, I am willing to look at anything.

This is the whole thing. My artist did not get as far as adding detail, just putting in color schemes.

file:///Users/lukeadomanis/Desktop/In%20Dire%20Need%20Comic/Shawn%20Adomanis/InDireNeed_Issue010.pdf

Also, out of curiousity why did you wait until it was nearly done to shop it around? I thought the usual practice was to pitch the storyline and the first few pages (or some key pages) to show the art you intend. If the project was shopped earlier I'm sure the chances of keeping the artist would have been greater. Few artists want to bail on a project that will definitely see print (especially since that's when you get paid).
    We both felt that the first 5-10 pages would of not given hint into the story enough. So we were going to wait until the whole thing was polished and ready to go to submit it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing as how we do not have access to your desktop, please use the attachment manager to upload pages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O shoot hehe I pasted the wrong link. Give me a sec

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CalibratedInk View Post
    ile:///Users/lukeadomanis/Desktop/In%20Dire%20Need%20Comic/Shawn%20Adomanis/InDireNeed_Issue010.pdf

We both felt that the first 5-10 pages would of not given hint into the story enough. So we were going to wait until the whole thing was polished and ready to go to submit it.
    Man, I hope you didn't wait until issue 10 to shop it around. I think 3 finished is the usual amount they want done ahead of time, and they'll usually tell if they are interested based on MUCH less.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [quote] This is the whole thing. My artist did not get as far as adding detail, just putting in color schemes.

So you have been working for 8 months on this book but the artist has put only color schemes? Meaning he has not drawn anything? If that's the case then what about starting fresh with a new artist? And it will be cool to say what kind of per page rate you are looking at.

Also for your info 5 pages are enough for submission (even 3). If you feel you need to show more to convince a publisher that means something is wrong; somebody thumbing through an issue in a shop will not look at more than 3 or 4 pages to see if they like the look of it. If you cannot convince in 3 pages (either script or art) that means something has to be changed. Remember you are trying to capture the attention of a publisher not let them enter your own private world.

Concept Art
    Comic Art
    Illustration
    Artist for hire

Portfolio
    Blog

Repossessed: a Graphic Novel in the making
    REPOSSESSED

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the advice on all of this. The companies I listed earlier all saw a 6 page intro, and liked it so they said they want to see the whole thing. Sorry for the confusion, I have been doing that lately. Life is so freakn crazy right now. Anyways, since I lost my artist (due to family issues) I cant submit it b/c they want the same artist for the whole thing. So I need someone new, ready to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry but your posts don't make too much sense right now, and I never heard of companies saying they want to see the whole book before signing it (especially Image, Dark Horse or Virgin). It's just no the way it's done, and companies do not require to have all the art done by the same artist.

Sounds me to me like you only have one commissioned cover and maybe a script and you hope to convince an artist to draw the whole book for cheap by throwing some big publisher names. But I hope I'm wrong.

So there is something fishy in there, and if you care explaining the situation in detail and what you really want I think everybody would be pleased.
    Otherwise, let's just move along....

Concept Art
    Comic Art
    Illustration
    Artist for hire

Portfolio
    Blog

Repossessed: a Graphic Novel in the making
    REPOSSESSED

12. The Following User Says Thank You to black_fish For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.