Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey I just checked out your website... are you a 3D + concept artist ? Actually it's quite rare for me to meet one of these even online. I find your blog pretty enjoyable browsing through, especially the monsters and concept works you made ! (Hey why not post some here ?)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Also (sorry for double posting) if I may, allow me to say that as an anime fan, yes I understand that there are lots of people pose negative impression on anime images for their generic qualities, and the sheer number of fanbase / anime fan artists that further strengthens that negative image.

But I also want to address that there are some anime artists (famous ones too) there that are trying to bring it to a different level, and I think they deserve some respect from people... To me anime is one of many styles of illustration that has its own strengths and weaknesses. Anyway what I want to say is yes most anime stuff may not be impressive or illustration-worthy, but please don't give up and assume that's 100% for all the cases. Sorry and thanks.

Last edited by jalingon3011; May 18th, 2008 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jalingon3011 View Post
    Hey thanks for the comment. I checked your website as well and gosh that was pretty hardcore stuff there. Hmm why can't I see any of your works posting here ?
    Thanks. The reason that I don't have any of it here is that I posted all that on my blog before I started here. I don't want to syart out here by posting old work. However most of what I've made since joining here has been covered by annoying NDAs and therefore I can't post it. I have a few sketches that I might post but for the moment I really feel like I wan't to work something up to a finish b4 putting it here, but I've been a bit too busy with other stuff which prevents me from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by jalingon3011 View Post
    Also (sorry for double posting) if I may, allow me to say that as an anime fan, yes I understand that there are lots of people pose negative impression on anime images for their generic qualities, and the sheer number of fanbase / anime fan artists that further strengthens that negative image.

But I also want to address that there are some anime artists (famous ones too) there that are trying to bring it to a different level, and I think they deserve some respect from people... To me anime is one of many styles of illustration that has its own strengths and weaknesses. Anyway what I want to say is yes most anime stuff may not be impressive or illustration-worthy, but please don't give up and assume that's 100% for all the cases. Sorry and thanks.
    While I can't speak for everyone I will that that personally I have nothing against anime, in fact there are some examples of anime that I really love. However there are lots of reasons that anime, as a style, might cause other artists to cringe. Please note that I am not pointing these out to say that all anime is this way, but simply to point out the things that many of us have run across and explain why they are undesirable.

The first, though least important, is that in some cases anime becomes more a lifestyle than an artistic style. This gets incredibly annoying, especially when the non-anime artist asks about the anime artist's work and is hit with a torrent of words and phrases that include "kawai, genki, hentai, ee desu ne?, dattebayo, kanji, ecchi, baka" as well as a multitude of other terms, all jumbled together with English to make communication downright annoying. As such encounters (usually taking place at comic con or some other similar convention) are often the non-anime artist's first impression of the anime fandom it leaves us either flabbergasted or slightly amused. Whatever the case, it does not come across as being very professional. However, as I stated earlier, this is the least important point to be made, and would not be important at all were it not for the fact that it enforces/hightens the sense of unprofessionalism when facing the next points that I am about to make.

What becomes even more bothersome is that some people will use anime (especially the generic anime look) as a crutch. Often times they will ignore important matters of anatomy or basic artistic rules just so that they can try to acheive that anime look. Such individuals are often unresponsive to criticizm and instead hide behind their stylization, claiming that they dont need to pay attention to those things BECAUSE it is anime. This excuse is especially nervewracking because most of us are of the oppinion that if a style is holding back your ability to improve then you do away with that style so as to improve, not stop improving so as to cotinue with that style.

Worse still is when an anime artist refuses to explore and experament with other styles outside of anime. Kitty mouths, floating water drops, red luftwaffe symbols on foreheads, generic poses, generic hairstyles, big eyes, small mouths, small/cute critter sidekicks, red scribble line blushes, missing noses, and huge unwieldable sword type things abound... and the rest of the artistic world cringes. Half those things are graphics that are used in ways that have no bearing in reality and take no skill to draw, in fact they were often used in the first place so that anime would be cheaper to make. The truth is that an artist who immediately jumps to an easy form of art without trying to experiment with other styles is taking the easy way out and once again, not improving.

As pointed out though it appears that you are bringing in other elements aside from steriotypical anime which is why I applaud your approach, and I'm also glad that you were receptive to our commeents which also marks you as being a bit different from some of the examples that we are used to here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Thank you for the beautiful paintings & descriptions, I knew nothing of the history of anime (I thought they were only cartoons until now, cool!) You have fine art here is all I know and your imagination, amazing.
    Stay on this forum and practice from art books as Nathan said, he gave great advice! Thanks again for your comments also!! Kelly

Thanks again, Kelly

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Personally, you remind me of Tsutomu Nihei, the maker of such mangas as BLAME, Snikt and Hale Graphic Novel.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment. Yes that's really good point you have here. From an artist's point of view, not constantly seek to improve oneself and sink in the pool of self satisfaction is quite unforgivable. Personally I am quite against anime fan artists for that reason.

However there's a enquiry that exists in my head that I wish if you can help answer: what IS an artist ? And is there really a true standard that we can judge whether an artist is doing right or wrong...?... Plainly speaking, if a person enjoys what he or she is drawing, then how can we judge the morality of that ? If today I draw like a 5 year old and I call it "my style" while thousands of people enjoys my work, am I still a artist in its rightful name ?

I think one of the problem here is that we are yet (and perhap shouldn't) to have a absolute definition for "what's correct art and what's not".

Also I think the existance of anime creates a medium that somehow bridges or blurs the gap between a commoner and an artist. As you mentioned, it's a low cost, common and low quality way for production, but still, to people's eyes it's still works of drawing. In other words, anime style provides a "watered down" form of art that can be easily adapted by everyone - and is it a good thing or bad thing ?

Sorry if this is taking quite much of your time, but I always do feel this is a very interesting discussion and want to talk it out with some people.

Thanks
    Really ? I just checked his work... but I couldn't find any similar qualities between us two...

Thanks
    What you just wrote hit me and I know why after reading the fact that you are self taught!! Your style is your own and if you do do any studies keep this raw self of yours and their is NO right or wrong in art this is why art is an enigma. I suggest everyone strive to express the you in your art. I am getting you a link on a site called side bar it is a fantastic interview with Marco Djurejevic -- he speaks of being self-taught and also having your own voice in art and not copying anyone... I love your voice in art and I am sure now that this unique voice comes from learning art intuitively. Maybe instead of getting art books with theories from other artists you should go to life drawing classes and study anatomy from either skeletons or science books. Don't follow anyone else. I am also self taught and have a partner who is also self taught -- we actually really help each other by helping each other to see -- Stand firm my man and their is no right or wrong here, but we can help each other to get better. Thanks for this, Kelly X

Thanks

Thanks
    Hey thanks alot for the advise. Yes! That might actually be a really good idea - instead of buying books teaching me how to draw, maybe I should learn how to draw by myself from science books, photo and real life objects. [Man that's one of the reasons why I love art communities like this, sometimes a few words from others can make people go a long way.]

Personally I think many anime fan artists are more of "going with the trend" than "trying to expression him/herself". [You can clear see that once you visited their communities...] Much like people wearing cloths based on fashion, instead of trying to express what they are. But my question is, if we have free speech, why can't people choose their way to do their art [for better or worse] ?

So back to step one : If I draw something that looks really crap to you [and many others] but my fans like it, how do we judge whether it's good or not ? Of course one can argue that anime artists "have no will to improve and only want to hide behind the excuse of styles", but that can happen to any artist wouldn't it. [Yes I know there's an unusual high % for anime artists.]

Also, technically, how do we really tell if someone has improved or not since there's no solid definition of "good / bad" and "improvement" in the start? If my fans and I think I'm improving, but you and your friends don't, then am I really improving or not?

Yes I do personally feel the masses of anime fan artist presents many worst examples that makes me want to smack them in the face sometimes for bringing so much shame upon the name "artist" - not for their skill, but for their lame intention of trying to use cheap skills copied from others to gain fame or even money. [Just personal feeling. Oh and, their attitudes are often quite...repelling...*yuk*] But at the end of the day if we put things fairly on the scale, I personally can't really find a solid reason for accusation. [I wish I can though.] And because of that, I've been always wanting to solve the mystry of that.

Thanks
    Dude, just chill and do your fan art for money as practice and do the art you want to do for your self... Maybe eventually you can merge your true art style into what you actually do for your fans in the end?? But do what you believe in always...
    Think of the other as a job or practice, what do you think and watch the link I sent to you PLEASE!! Kelly

Last edited by kelly x; May 20th, 2008 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks
    Sorry for late reply, I took a day to download due to 3-7kbps Internet. Anyway dude, this is totally interesting and many parts echo my mind. [Like the self taught part because no his style wasn’t mainstream at the time… and his theory of how to walk the path of art as an individual] I think it's his luck; passion, talent and hard working that get him become the man he is today. [Things I really lack of... I mean, never painted before and then 100+ works in 18 months...]

And, yeah, this guy is funny man. Thanks a lot for letting me getting this.

Thanks

Update 2007-07-12

[Radio & Her]

[Jalingon3011] Finished Works [Updated 2009-July-29] - Please start form page02

[Asian Nap]

[Practice 032 - Matsuri 2]

[Practice 031 - Matsuri]

Last edited by jalingon3011; May 6th, 2009 at 12:07 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.