CHOW :: DEEP: Undersea Utopia - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man this is super cool.. I hope I can be a part of this one all of the *OW's doin the same theme is a great idea.

Heres what I got so far.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CUBICcube; May 27th, 2008 at 03:14 AM.
    Conceptart Sketchbook.
    Here.......

CGtalk profile
    Here.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really wanted to enter this but I just haven't had the time, next one I'll go for! good luck all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @colepoopface: maybe the guy evolved to have no arms as they became increasingly unused thanks to a servant species (like a shoal of tiny fish). He has a slightly pompous face so it kinda fits. just an idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mythril_golem- that is one way to go about it. I was going to add arms to them though because i want them to have jewelry and be able to make an actual city or something along those lines once i get into the story of these characters. But who know's where these things will end up lol.

[B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]Sketchbook Poop

www.thecolehole.blogspot.com - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jake if your having trouble coming up with ideas, go watch your Android thumbnails demo again. If your sitting down with a pencil and it's not happening then don't limit yourself to a single method.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ashab : your exosqueletton remember me a lot of a picture by Steak-Tron for Massive Black

Colepoopface : wow superb stuff!!

Haha love this challenge, really interesting to see everyone developement

updated mine on page 5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vorace: thank you that is a great compliment, your updates are ace mister, you should look at my friends book think you will like it.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82299

this is a fun project to do.

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

one of my initial ideas, trying to come up with different stuff at the moment and C&C would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Searious, your character makes me remember a Naga from Warcraft games!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, started making the characters of this project. I really wanted to look at this city as being a real society, which kinda takes the classic definition of utopia out of it. By thinking of what a city needs to exist, the certain tasks to keep it functioning, there are certain aspects of society that will always be less desirable then others. For example, simply being alive means creatures produce waste, and in a society, something has to happen to that waste, and someone is going to have to eventually work with that waste. I don't think they're going to be too happy or think they're living some perfect life. So in this underwater city called Ilmatropolis, there are a certain segment of the population I'm going to show that think it's a utopian society. Mostly human, you'll see a varitey of jobs of the upper class held by normal looking humans. The minorities of the city are called the Aquatarians. They are the decendants of humans that believed that splicing their genes with underwater lifeforms would help them more readily adapt to the harsh undersea climates. Unfortunitly they were wrong. Instead it formed mutations that were often times not helpful on land, or underwater. Fearing their humanity, splicing was outlawed, but the gene pool had now been tainted. Years later, many decendants have formed certain mutations that make them less human, even those that come from human parents, and though many may claim there is equality, the fact is, these humans called Aquatarians, are often ostracized by society and given the undesirable jobs of the city. Only a few have broken the glass barrier that separates them from those in the upper classes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotwith1T For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ASHAB no offence but your exoskeleton looks all too familiar. Its good to gain inspiration from other works - we all need it. But that design is almost a total bite off another piece.

Keep it fresh bro, im sure you can come up with something dope of your own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sho-nuff: fair enough to you thanks for the comments and agree with your points of view, to be honest the inspiration came from a toy in a pound shop near by. enjoyed your book by the way.

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vorace: Some very cool sketches in there man, lovin' em.

Colepoopface: Awesome colour work and lovely sketches. I'm not sure that the 'puffer fish' guy really needs arms, seems to make him look kinda cumbersome which seems quite fitting! Your call though

Cheers,

Stu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguijón View Post
    Searious, your character makes me remember a Naga from Warcraft games!
    Never actually played any of the warcraft games in my life! can see the resemblence though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn u colepoopface (hmph..) ... there go my chances of winning lol .... awesome stuff man ... inspirational ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work colepoopface. You're stuff looks like it could go in COW though. Perhaps add some clothing or items as mentioned before? Also I think were updating one image post with all our latest work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right...after much brain storming I’ve decided to go for a futuristic ‘brainwashed’ utopia, that will be governed by a super computer named ‘Gaia’. The citizens will be brought up to know nothing other than their utopia and the promise of transcending to a higher place (when in fact they are just being killed as a means of population control by Gaia). Think ‘1984’ meets ‘Logans Run’ meets ‘The Island’ meets ‘THX1138’. So to the (child-minded) citizens this beautiful prison is a utopia, but to people looking in, it is anything but. That’s not to say the people of this place have a bad life...they actually have quite a good one...just a bit shorter than ‘more controlled’ normal  This is all hundreds of years after the mighty floods of (drumroll please) GLOBAL WARMING that covered everywhere with water...so there will be some recognisable landmarks like ‘Big Ben’ or ‘The Empire State Building’ under the water in the distance... hmmm that may instil fear into the citizens should they get a clue and try to escape...maybe they will want to escape through curiosity caused by the ‘ancient civilisation’ remains...a loop hole already! Argh! lol

Suppose Id better get on with some more art then!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jread For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Exams done, so now I've all the time in the world to get working! Yesterday evening I did this piece. It's not exactly the way I imagined it, especially the pose came out a bit awkward, but I'm still very satisfied. Why? because it's watercoulours! I have always had a certain dislike of them, but that was only, it seems, because I couldn't handle them. Now I finally did something with 'em I actually like. Besides, using watercolours to design watercreatures seems very appropriate to me

Anyway, ranting aside, the design needs some tinkering. Right now there isn't much about this that screams 'civilized intelligent being', except for the black ribbon and the (poorly designed) weapons/knives. I need to figure out a way to make the head less animalic and scary. The patterns though are something to stay. I figured that under water, speech wouldn't be of much use, because sound doesn't travel too well underwater, so I thought that they might communicate visually, by means of shifting patterns upon the head, like a kind of writing. And now, back to the drawing board!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Yngling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few more concepts for my Utopian folks. I'm having the damndest time thinking of how an undersea person would function; I need to study more about fish, methinks.
    Name:  undersea_sills_01.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  118.5 KB
    Name:  undersea_sills_02.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  99.0 KB
    Name:  undersea_sills_03.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  78.7 KB

Also-- when folks are working on character designs, do they tend to do dozens of little silhouette thumbnails, or do they do a few pages of rough designs? It seems like the pros use the former method, but whenever I try and force myself to draw that small, I inevitably end up getting frustrated with it and drawing a bigger version on the side. I see the logical reasons for doing thumbnails-- it's faster, you can work out shape varieties more easily-- but my arm really likes drawing big, sweeping lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Senira View Post

Also-- when folks are working on character designs, do they tend to do dozens of little silhouette thumbnails, or do they do a few pages of rough designs? It seems like the pros use the former method, but whenever I try and force myself to draw that small, I inevitably end up getting frustrated with it and drawing a bigger version on the side. I see the logical reasons for doing thumbnails-- it's faster, you can work out shape varieties more easily-- but my arm really likes drawing big, sweeping lines.
    try and make your hand shake more, dont think about much to begin with, just make some shapes. Its easier to do it with a splodgy tool, like paint or thick ink pens. Pencil is so thin your inherently drawing by line and that slows me down at least.

My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah get some good vine charcoal and work that way, charcoal is muchmessier and m ore fun to make shapes with...pencil is great when you know what you want, but for silhouettes I'm going with charcoal, it has a greater value range than pencil does, in fact, so it's naturally more adaptable to lifelike occurences of emergence (intelligent looking design or happy accidents)

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whatever media you use, find the shapes by drawing bold and dark without spending too much time on each piece. The fine details are not important at this point. Draw on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added some new concepts. Check out my CHOW link below.

Jamesy is offline Kevin Durant's Manstalker Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the first of a few different species. Btw, Cole, those are fricken awesome!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't quite read your entire story Jamesy. It might be easier for everyone if you retype it and just post the art by itself.

Last edited by Rares Halmagean; May 30th, 2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: rephrase

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesy View Post
    This is the first of a few different species. Btw, Cole, those are fricken awesome!!
    What the feck! Your species head looks more or less just like one of mine! ill finish it soon and show. Heres one I did earlier...

My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturns Gate For This Useful Post:

Izi

Jamesy is offline Kevin Durant's Manstalker Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saturns Gate-That's funny, when I started this I never really had the intention of making it for this particular assignment. I thought it was too ugly for a utopian setting. I just rolled with it anyway.

Rares-Yeah, I thought the same thing too. I might re-scan it later. Just a quick question, is it better to scan at a larger resolution (150-300dpi), then scale down, or just to scan at 72dpi? I've been scanning everything at that and nothing seems to turn out very sharp. It just happens to fit nicely without having to resize.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I typically scan large to retain some of the finer details in my work. The artifacts in your image is due to compression. If you're using photoshop, do save for web file>save for web>click the arrow(just right of the preset selection box)>optimize to file size and find a size that does not create obvious artifacts. Check the quality percentage in the save for web property page. If it goes below 50-60 percent then artifacts will become apparent.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Rares Halmagean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Been a long time since I've done these things. Im pretty rusty but he's my first rough thumbnailish thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good for a thumbnail rush. Jamesey this is the dude I was talking about :

My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturns Gate For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.