Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh please not yet another sketchbook

Thanks
    smuli: *whacks head* d'uh! Of course, now I understand why they looked wrong! I forgot the 90 degrees rule! Thanks a lot! I'll try the grid tip tomorrow, it sounds really helpful. And thanks for the link! I'm still looking for a place to buy the Loomis books, but this will help tremendously in the meantime! A billion thanks!

I'm too lazy to scan anything, so I'll just show my painting practice. Practiced painting. Yes. And value. It's the same picture, but my comp distorts the colours, so... yeah. Made with acrylics (white, black, burnt sienna) on canvas-textured paper.
    The first one is a non-edited version (picture taken, nothing more), while the other went through the "auto levels" in Photoshop.
    I still have a lot of practice to do, so I hope I'll get more time to paint in the future.

P.S.
    In my next post I'll upload my uglyass drawings. I've figured that it's not good just showing the personal favorites and the practice drawings, to get a opinion on my skills you'll also have to see my bad ones. So from now on: no hiding of horrible! It will be laughed at!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    And here they are. The drawings and doodles. Yes.
    Also the ugly ones. The ugly ones that weren't destroyed, at least...

Yes, I know. Too many.
    I'll try to make more updates with less art in them. Sounds like a plan.

The painting is just me using up paint. I was supposed to paint a glass, but I made the paper bulky because I added lots of water before starting the first layer of transparent colour. Didn't want to waste the paper or the paint I had squished out, so I went "WHEEEEEE!!!" with it.
    Same colours as last time (burnt sienna, black and white).

Thanks
    MOAR ARTS
    I haven't been able to draw as much as I'd like lately, because of school and work (and the Internet *coughcough*).
    Still, here it is.

Tried caricatures-like things. Some of you might recognize Loomis 'Fun with a pencil' (and me making fun of myself and all other animé-artists). Yes. And 'sketchbook 43' have this cartoony-looking princessy thing that have an aura of a certain Conceptart-member. Whom I do not remember the name of right now... *SHOTSTABBEDMURDERED*
    Sorry. Seriously, I'll edit this with the name when I remember. Sorrysorrysorry.
    But you probably know who I mean, the one with the awesome cartoony drawings who works for game animation and make paperdoll-looking pictures... and kitties... and octopuses... STEPH LABERIS! That was it! Goddamn yes!

The rest is me trying to get comfortable with working on a larger scale (a3) with charcoal, and a painting. Jesus, what is it with me and those shitty paintings?

MOAR PRAKTEESE
    Last edited by Monkeydominator; September 14th, 2008 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks
    Just me and charcoal again... haven't drawn as much lately, work and school is killing me. I draw half an hour each morning, and doodle at school... not much more, sadly.
    Luckily, the book I ordered have FINALLY arrived, I'm fetching it Tuesday... then it'll be anatomy study-time! I'll try getting studies of muscles and skeletal structure into my work and school schedule... Even though I've pretty much given up on ever getting into uni on my first try. XD''
    I'll just work and draw during my gap year.

Thanks
    That 'update more often with less art' plan is going six ways to Sunday.
    Oh, well.

I find myself sketching with pen a lot more lately... simply because
    1. It's a nice sketching medium,
    2. It doesn't smudge, and
    3. It works pretty darn well when sketching in class.

I'll just submit a selection of the sketches I've done recently...
    I'd especially love critique on that first one! Pretty please! It'll be a Mucha-inspired portrait of my girlfriend when I'm done, and need to fix up the anatomy issues before starting on the background.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    Hey. Nice sketchbook. You got some efforts in good direction here. I think watercolors are pretty strong and also those last still life studies.

* I have a really hard time drawing fast
    I wouldn't really focus on that. Especially when you're at the beginning of your journey. Putting fast strokes have only this advantage that you can get more spontaneous look but there is a thin line between spontaneous and messy. Try to really slow down when rendering. Hatching lines from distance should look like uniform tone rather than thin stripes.

I spend too much time focusing on the eyes... this I solved quickly, though, by using the new way of drawing eyes. Just a line and block out the iris! Simple!
    Such details like eybrows, eyelash, nostrils really distract from drawing structure of the face. Maybe try to draw from realistic face sculptures once in a while. These got everything made from single material and you really see how shadows change on the surface and how eye-lids wrap around eyeballs. How eye-balls got light and shadow side or how upper lip casts shadow ondo lower lip. For example look at this african female bust - http://www.sagegraphics.net/uniqueex...male20Bust.jpg

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thank you so much, Farvus! I'll try to spend more time when rendering... and learn how to hatch properly. >XDD
    Studied marble heads from TEH INTERWEBZ, uploading now. I'll try to use hatching next time!
    Last edited by Monkeydominator; October 25th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    You heard that? Now keep on humpin'!

Thanks
    Man, I haven't been here for too long. >>
    I really missed CA. Whatever happened to my 'shorter post, more frequent update' plan? What was wrong with that one?

@mentler: wow, thanks a lot! An honour to have you visit my sketchbook!
    @faust: again... wow! Another honour! Thank you!
    Why did I leave again, great people see my things and... GAH! Thank a lot you guys!

Well, I've had a severe art-block... or more of a confidence-block. Every time I put down a pencil, there's this little voice in my head going "whooops... gonna screw up now, sweetheart!". Really annoying (this can be seen in the WONDERFUL rendering of my sketches). Also had this drama "can't show to people it's taking their time! D8", and being afraid to bother people by asking for critique...
    Man. Need to pull myself together. I'm hardly progressing at all.

Well, filled one whole sketchbook and 1/3 of another one since then, so I'll just get rolling, I guess! Randomly choosing between acceptable ones... and horrible ones.
    As usual, critique my face off, if it's not too much of a bother!

Thanks
    Awwww, man... didn't do a third of the workload I wanted to do.
    Not even a tenth.
    Try more tomorrow.

So, yes. Some Loomis today. Won't update until Wednesday next... I have work tomorrow and Tuesday. >:
    So I won't get access to my Internetz and zcanner until then.

Thanks
    Damnit. I'm not improving at all. I really need to work harder.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,868 Times in 3,972 Posts
    It's really nice to watch you develop - may it continue.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast