Sketchbook: Alex's Sketches!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alex's Sketches!

Here you will find a bunch of sketches and stuff that I did. All of which are meant for practicing! =D

So here is my first one. Someone asked me to sketch them so I though why not good practice right? So here you go! Any comments? Alex's Sketches!

Should have the next one soon

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, first thing first: it would help to get rid of the yellowy background! It makes the image look dirty.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to furiana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by furiana View Post
    Well, first thing first: it would help to get rid of the yellowy background! It makes the image look dirty.

lol I just tried to make the sketch stand out a little more. Wont do that on my next one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that what happened? I thought it was a scanner screwup! Mine does that all the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by furiana View Post
    Is that what happened? I thought it was a scanner screwup! Mine does that all the time.
    lol noo I edited that in with photoshop.. My scanner is actually pretty good shockingly but it is only a year old.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nother one!

Alex's Sketches!

comments are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy, anatomy and anatomy ,-) Btw, not bad for a start, keep practicing!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my SB man, keep it up. I would try and really focus on your line confidence. Sketchy lines show hesitance, throw those lines down with authority! One line, point a to point b, don't be afraid if its not accurate, just keep putting them down. Blind contours (draw with your eyes closed) and continuos line contour drawings (never pick your pencil up off of the page) can help with this a lot. Keep it up man, hit up George Bridgman and Andrew Loomis too, there is a lot of good stuff to learn from them. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Fingers View Post
    Thanks for stopping by my SB man, keep it up. I would try and really focus on your line confidence. Sketchy lines show hesitance, throw those lines down with authority! One line, point a to point b, don't be afraid if its not accurate, just keep putting them down. Blind contours (draw with your eyes closed) and continuos line contour drawings (never pick your pencil up off of the page) can help with this a lot. Keep it up man, hit up George Bridgman and Andrew Loomis too, there is a lot of good stuff to learn from them. Cheers!

I will definatly work on this. But as for the anatomy and stuff, mind linking me to some stuff that would help me with that? I started practicing everyday, getting at least one or two drawings done a day. This will definatly increase as I get better . But any help is great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well nice start so far. If you really want to improve these portraits you have to work on proportion and placement and you can only do that through observation.

I have a mirror by my drawing desk that has served me well. I would recommend you get a mirror as well and practice on your face. You can control the lighting and everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JJacks View Post
    Well nice start so far. If you really want to improve these portraits you have to work on proportion and placement and you can only do that through observation.

I have a mirror by my drawing desk that has served me well. I would recommend you get a mirror as well and practice on your face. You can control the lighting and everything.

I has a mirror by my dessk too like right in front of me. its hard drawing myself lol

edit: new sketch
    Alex's Sketches!
    any comments?

Last edited by AxFROWNYxFACE; July 26th, 2010 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, my honest advice is to stop drawing portraits... look at your hand and draw it.. it helps incredibly believe me, ive been doing it for a while now and my drawing has improved so much...

and if you love portraits so much that you cant bear not working with them, then dont draw them, learn about them. study the proportions and try doing it Piero della Francesca style! (just setting up a grid ) i think Bridgeman will also help you a ton

check this site out http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131117

it has a lot of free online books, including bridgeman, whom i think will help you a lot... but even more helpful than bridgeman, for me at least, is Robert Beverly Hale I dont think any of his books are online, but they are WELL worth the money...

thats all for now, keep posting ill come back tomorrow =) remember, hands hands hands!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what happened to once a day man?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    what happened to once a day man?
    zommgg sorry guys. I didnt forget I promise. I just kinda been putting it off to spend a little more time with my parents and yard work and I wanted to rearrange my room and got some xboxlive and yea just a lot has been distracting me. But I have been watching some of bobby chiu's podcasts on youtube and I must say pretty insppiring. I need to start drawing more, making myself do it. Accomplishing goals I set for me. Hopefully I can get an original character sketch in tomorrow and render it in photoshop without taking forever. Love you guys!!

Last edited by AxFROWNYxFACE; August 20th, 2010 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright man, just remember, doesnt have to be an hour a day, but do 10-20 minutes a day... every day...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Alright man, just remember, doesnt have to be an hour a day, but do 10-20 minutes a day... every day...

I did a few sketches yesterday but I think they are pretty bad. I am noticing a lot more of what I am doing wrong.... I am going to spend today drawing on my computer getting some digital stuff done...I cant seem to get any ideas that are REALLY good right now either

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you dont need to have ideas that are really good, you just need to draw. Dont worry so much about the conceptual at the moment, work on the technical so that you can CONVEY the conceptual so what if theyre bad.. youll make about 10 bad for every 1 good, so just post them and we can tell you what really is good and what needs work..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay! I got a new program I am gonna be experimenting with. But I will try to get some sketches in. =D I sware!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I expect at least one today.. ^.-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will try and do some basic stuff, hahah finally listen to you guys . Start off in photoshop do one a day or every other day when school starts and stuff. I will look up some like building block things and draw that, like the little kids do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats fine... im telling you tho, dont try for some big portrait every day or every other day... just do 5 minutes on a busy day... believe me.. i know busy... i got up at 530 every morning, took me 2 hours to get to school, was in school from 8-430, then got home about 7... then had to do homework, eat, etc... i know busy... you can find 5 minutes and im telling you its well worth it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alex's Sketches!

hopefully the start of a daily! I am going to try my damnest to get these in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im going on vacation well a short one, like a week or week and a half. I am gonna take my sketch book and hopefully get some sketches in. I will post any I do during this time when I get back!! =D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty good attempts at the moment, I can see it starting to work. It would be helpful to study on anatomies of the face for the sake of perfecting the coordination. You know, draw the skulls in many different perspectives etc. It should be really fun to do (:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.