Sketchbook: Oh please not yet another sketchbook - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!
    Thank you for visiting my SB,your advice is more than welcome!
    I like your SB. It`s interesting to me the way that you analyze stuff and how you use watercolours in your studies,I like how it looks.
    Really nice work.
    Cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    post 139 had a breakthrough moment with those heads and it shows in the posts since then. Don't forget what you learned and keep it up! The figures in red chalk are nice and free. One frequent mistake is to draw these tiny heads on stretched out figures with ridiculously long legs. Remember, if the hips are the center of the body, use that to measure. Try drawing more figures/people in a background. It forces you to measure positive/negative spaces while you draw. Oh, and that dragonfly girl is frikken awesome!!! Color it!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice, you got a shit ton of observing people done. you got a lot of detail done on them. you must work really quick. i can never seem to get much done before they move.

like that you're trying different techniques to add value. there's a portrait back there with hatching. the hatching doesnt seem to fit to the form. i think that's shitty advice because i don't know how to make it look like it fits the form. especially the non-perpendicular hatching. i'm trying all different kinds of hatching and stippling and lines on a school assignment right now. BORING

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice SB Monkeydominator!! Awesome amount of updates and the hard work seems to paying off. You've definitely improved since page 1. Keep up the good work my friend!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ridiculous amount of studies is... ridiculous. Your lines are so much more confident now and you've really leveled up overall. Don't neglect doing stuff from head though, it's very important to make sure you're actually getting what it is you're studying. Keep grinding art exp. =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude you have a jaw-dropping amount of work here, it's awesome! And I love your traditional media work, I especially love the painting of the woman in the red blouse, with the sharp nose and short black hair looking to the left on your update of january 20th. She's awesome, but so are your other traditional works!

Wir sind Helden

Sketchybookuh!
    Do you live near AMSTERDAM? Then join our SKETCHMEETS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus! Sorry, guys, I've been all over the place lately! Karate-grading, art society exhibition (which went to hell because the works I was originally planning to exhibit couldn't, so I ended up with having to work on something overnight. -____-), essays, my own personal retardation and a dying arm (which has been raised from the dead, luckily!).

March 19th, 2010 08:02 PM
    @Kelp: Thanks a lot! I really like working in traditional media... it's so much fun! I really don't do enough studies, though. It just seems that way.

@Imaginary: wow! Thank you so much! And yes, damn, you're totally right, I hardly do anything from head anymore. I've added 5 figures from imagination to my daily workload, and I must say that they look absolutely terrible. Must practice more!

@Turbosnail: you really think I've improved? I don't think I've improved enough, personally... mostly because I don't practice enough. But there's only one remedy for THAT!

@the_original_sean: Thanks! Yes, I've had a nice collection of people-observation done, simply because my girlfriend asked me to go out and be more social. And drawing at parties is totally social, right?
    I don't really get down much before they move either, which is why I stare creepily at them before I even attempt to put anything down. Just look, and note their hair, clothes and posture, and when they make a pose you like... BAM! Sketch it down quickly!
    And yes, I fail at hatcing pretty hard, which is why I've been practicing it. We're going to start doing etching in our printmaking class... meaning I have to use it.

TASmith: Thank you! Yes, Loomis helped me TONS with heads... when I tried learning Loomis before, I just copied the pictures and didn't really learn anything. But now, when I started CONSTRUCTING it... gee-whizz. It still looks horrid, but it looks like a MORE RIGHT horrid than before.
    And dayum, I know that leg-thing alright. I'm working hard to get rid of that bad habit. My girlfriend is coming over for easter break, I'll be sure to draw her in a background!

@m.j.: thank you! I'll try to keep it up!

Kamber Parrk: thanks a lot! Well, how much time I spend usually depends on the "victim". Sometimes I just throw it down in around 40 seconds, other times I spend 5 minutes or so on it. It depends if the person is moving, how many people are around me (at parties it really is a bitch when people move in to block the view to the person you're drawing) and how interesting the person's facial shape or hair is... I'm likely to spend more time at something I find interesting, no?
    And haha, I've totally made fun of Loomis and his naked-but-for-shoes women before!

@Spirit: thanks a BUNCH, Spirit! I AM unproductive, though... I spend way too much time being distracted. :/ That's why I'm glad I'm back to CA, because the comments always motivate me to do better and better, and work harder! And you're right, I should draw faces when drawing from life. Will do that [I]ad hinc!

I have an unholy amount of work to upload, and no time to do that right now (have to apply for accomodation next year, get my student loan papers out of the way and fetch my scholarship today). Will get to it later today!

For now, comparing the first painted portrait to my last painted portrait. Not bad improvement for five weeks, no?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Monkeydominator; March 22nd, 2010 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah... thats a CRAZY amound of improvement... O.o
    Just make sure you keep going (I know you will anyway), then you will be awesome in no time! Also, welcome back! I was beginning to wonder where you had disappeared to and I look forward to seeing all of your work, too!
    Good luck with your student finance forms... I know how much of a pain in the backside they can be from the trouble my brother had with his. Glad your arm was brought back from the dead, any part of your body dying is never good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Spirit! It`s a GREAT improvement!!! I like traditional art so I`m happy when I see that I`m not the only one here without tablet
    Keep it up!
    Cheers!

Miro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hey I didn't update the day I said I would is anyone surprised?

@Spirit:
    haha, thank you! But as you'll see in today's post, it took some work to get there.

@m.j.:
    Thanks! And I LOVE traditional media! It's so much fun! Though I would still like a computer with Painter on it in the future, so I can really try digital media too.

So, old stuff in no particular order. I still have... a lot more. Like recent stuff. But I want to get drawing so I'll just upload this quickly and get on with it.
    The uploading still takes a lot of time... I might start using an image hosting site at this rate.
    Hummmm... my greatest regret is that I lost my ability to draw heads from imagination... time to drag out Loomis again.

Attached Images Attached Images                                                                                                                                                                        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh, I like this update, a lot!
    Great to saee you using as many different media as possible... it's so much fun isn't it?
    Your fourth painting (attempt?) of the eye looks great, you've got the forms nailed very well!
    The colour mixing swatches are great too! I just love colours
    You're on the right track with everything, and it looks like you know what you need to do to improve, so I won't repeat you
    The last nude drawing is ok, actually! The only thing I can tell which is wrong with it is the arms, which appear to be too short. Take my advice with a grain of salt though, I'm still an noob with everything!
    Now I must work harder...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!
    Great stuff here!!! I like how you analize shapes and light. Nice anatomy studies,also.
    Great work,just keep it up!
    Cheers,

Miro

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.