Sketchbook: Oh please not yet another sketchbook - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Spirit:
    thanks a bunch! Sandly, hand week fell down the stairs and broke his neck.
    Work and packing my stuff made me forget the whole thing. >< I'll fix it next week, tomorrow's the last day of work, and Sunday will be "packing and cleaning out my room" day. )8

@Lionsword:
    Haha, anime in general is okay, but it keeps me from progressing. As ~Faust~ said, I'm no good with form, and anime usually just encourages that. )8
    Real life first - style later.
    And yes, update, that was it...

@~Faust~:
    .... man. That was probably one of the best comments I've ever gotten. I've made a list out of things to practice, and when I get to Oslo I'm going to draw my hands off!
    I'll defeat my comfort zone for sure! Thank you so much, I'm hyped as Hell now!

So, work and packing. Getting sure I have everything. And killing my arms at work. )8<
    So sorry guys, not much drawing at all. I really need to get everything set for my departure, it would suck if Uni turned out horribly because I forgot underwear or something.

But here's a thingy Lionsword forced me to submit, and a doodle from work. I work at a Hypermarket, so drawing is usually out of the question, but I got some minutes since there were few people this morning.
    Yes, doodled on important work papers, what do you know...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's not exactly what I mean. Traditional anime may have a screw anatomy attitude, but you obviously don't. Realism and anatomy are always good, but you have an attractive anime-ISH style (as in, it's similar to anime, but too realistic to call anime), so why can't you mix the two? There's some good artists who have done this successfully - Bengal is an example, check out his work his work on CA - and the result is very nice. Now to be clear, of course you should study form and shape, and all that stuff, but there's no reason to ditch the style you already have. I know from personal experience that it's very hard to go from cartoony to realistic and takes a long time and a lot of work, and in the end, the style you come out with may not be who you really are. I guess the question is, what do you really want in your art? It's up to you which way you go, but that's just my two cents.

This update's looking good. I like how you're trying to create something, and working with smooth, flowing lines. It's very attractive. However, the biggest problem with it, and a lot of your work, is a lack of a definitive light source. It looks like you just gray-scaled the whole face and added some shadows here and there. You haven't defined a lot of the major planes of the face, and the only reason we really see it for the face it is, is because our brains are automatically filling in the missing parts. You're not defining any of the planes or landmarks of the face, and it's really bringing the picture down. It would help to study the skull and the head in more detail so you know the form better.

Also, it looks like you were aiming for an asian skin tone, which is fine, but keep in mind that the darker the skin tone, the darker the shadows. Imagine a white dude and a black dude under the same light source, lets say from above. On the white dude, the shadows under his cheeks, nose and chin will be a dark shade of gray, because of his light skin tone, but on the black guy, these same shadows will be practically completely black, because his darker skin tone makes the shadows appear even darker on him. Check out these two pics to see what I mean.

Pay attention to lighting and form, and yeah, try to get out of your comfort zone. Really push your limits of what you can do and don't worry too much about the results. Practice makes perfect, after all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah nothing wrong with Manga, if you lean in that direction. Bumskee seemed to be running well with it for a few years . Just don't concentrate on how you do your stuff, if that style is what's natural for you, kudos man. If you try out some more realistic works and that's feeling more like your thing, just switch. In the end, all scetching is stylised to some extend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where's our update, you lazy tard? I am SO close to torching your lawn >.<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw, man, sorry guys. I'm at my girlfriend's, and forgot all about teh updatez. I'm back now. Really. *cough*

@Lionsword:
    wow, thanks a BUNCH! I'm going to practice skeletal structure and stuff for the face, so I'll be able to shade properly! Tomorrow I'm off to meet my gf's mom and whatnot, so I'll prolly not be able to practice as much, but I'm thinking some still lives on Sunday to practice shading and value... white and black objects, I think... ahem! Anyway!
    Thanks a lot! And maybe you're right. Maybe if I just stop thinking of it as "manga-style" and rather "my style", I can let it evolve naturally. ;D

@~Faust~:
    Damn, thank you! I'll try to not to think to much of it as a style at all, and just draw the way that feels comfortable.

So yeah. Here are some heads and sketches and 10-second poses and stuff.
    That dancing... thingy... is for the SSG-challenge of ours, and it is an asrai.
    I'll take two birds with one stone and use it as a dA competition-piece as well, in an improvement-challenge. I hope I'll be able to draw it properly. Strange how everything seems more shit when you're not sketching...
    Also working some with form, especially on the face. Not working too well.
    Need more practice...
    Back to the drawing board!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, fuck YES. Those skulls are beautiful, and the gesture studies made me think I was looking at a completely different artist's work. And i love how much you're paying attention to the structure of the face now, it makes a huge difference.

Pay attention to your side view of the head though, the nose tends to jut out really far from the forehead in most of yours, and it makes the head look pretty funny.

Hope your meeting with your gf's mom goes well and you live to draw another day =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somebody has been really busy, I can see! I love this update, it's great that you are tackling the things you are weaker at. I also agree with Lionsword that its good you are focusing on the structure and form of the face and head, it will do you a lot of good further down the line if you focus on that now. I noticed you also did different facial types too, well doen on those they look amazing! The gesture drawings are looking great too, I love the flow of the lines and how you have managed to capture the action with as few lines as possible - something I am trying but failing to do. Keep up with those, they are great for imagination when trying to come up with poses!
    Your dancer/SSG challenge sketch is looking good! I'd just watch proportions, it just looks to me like her legs are too large/big compared to her body, although that might be just me. It's an ititail sketch I'm guessing so it can easily be corrected later on. Hope meeting your girlfriends mum went well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lionsword:
    Wow, thanks a lot! I've always thought SOMETHING was wrong with my profiles, but couldn't quite pinpoint it. But now I know (and knowing is half the battle)!

@Spirit:
    Woooooh! Thanks a lot! I'll keep it up! And you're right, I have to do something about those feet... I will fix it on the finished piece!

Oh, phew! Days pass like mad, don't they? The meeting went well, and Sunday was pretty unproductive as it turned out to be a family-day as well. We watched Pan's Labyrinth. I love that movie.
    Well, posting what I did yesterday and the day before. The first sketch is from Sunday and the rest is from yesterday, I think.
    Marvel at my 100 heads! Each one in four minutes or less!

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention where I got the heads. Some randomly from the net, but most of them are stolen from the official draw from "what does everyone look like" thread. Go to that thread, it is AWESOME.

Last edited by Monkeydominator; September 15th, 2009 at 05:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big update, a good one too, this comes natural to you, doesn't it you seem to capture the character in peoples faces rquite well, not critique from me just keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @The man with no name:
    thanks a lot! I'll try doing more of these during the days to come! ;D

Aw, man. Again, teh busiez have had a grip on me. I have this. And... yeah.
    I have some pictures in my moleskin as well, but I'll add those later tonight. Tired now.
    I wish I could say this looks less retarded in real life, but sadly it doesn't.

The composition really bugs me for some reason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahahaha dude. DUDE. awesome! those 5 min faces came out great, you can see a lot of the personality in them, it's awesome!

And personally, I think you're nuts. That composition is great, and the colours are really vibrant. it could use some more contrast though, it's pretty harsh on the eyes as it is. give us some more colour pieces man!

also, i could kiss you for giving out that link to posemaniacs. seriously, i would. i've been on it for a couple hours now, it's fucking amazing. but since i can't, i'll give you an entire plate of cookies, and a gift certificate for a real plate of cookies if you ever visit me. mmk?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool. Really like your goal setting... that's inspiring. And you did the 100 heads. The point is... you finished it. That proves you have what it takes to improve.

Now all you need is the right direction. Get some good instruction and learn what you can here. You'll get as good as you want to be with all these.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah... 100 heads! Very well done for you for even completing that many, shows a lot of determination and work
    They look great too, I love that each one has it's own personality, and I even recognised some of them from peopel on this webiste, so likeness is there too! You don't have to do 100 each time, but just doing a few of these now and again will improve your art sooo much. You can see improvement too in just the 100 you did, comparing head 1 to 100 you can deifnately see it, well dooone
    I like the last piece too, the bright colours... ooooh. Althoug the yellow seems to be a little harsh to the eyes, apart from that its great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the tip. i'm super impressed with your repetitive exercises. i need to do that. what are these improvement challenges you speak of?

what have i got for you... on your faces there, try not to draw the line representing the lower eye lid. just do the outer one third. maybe do the rest super light or not at all. and then on your last colour composition there, pick better colours! my eyes hate you. dull everything down except what you want as the focal point. then the secondary focus do a little less bright and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *radio static*
    *click*
    *deep voice*
    Hello Mister Monkey. How are you today? Oh, don't answer that, I know how you are. All fine and dandy and NOT DRAWING like always. But that's a problem for me, Mister Monkey. You see, I NEED you to be drawing. Personal reasons, you see, but that's besides the point. The point IS, Mister Monkey, you are not drawing. That's a problem for me. And I'm afraid you have left me no choice but to take drastic measures. You known Mister Lawn, I'm sure? Say hello to Mister Monkey, Mister Lawn.
    *hysterical screaming*
    Ah, the poor guy. He's quite livid,
    *heavy panting in background*
    as you can imagine. But then, any lawn would, if he were faced with, say,
    *sound of match being struck*
    ...burning. Or torching.
    *more screams - NO NO NOOOOOOO!!!*
    Personally, I prefer smoking, it's less...crude. But then, to each his own.
    *blowing sound, match falling to floor*
    *sigh*
    So here we ARE, Mister Monkey. I give you a choice. You can update your sketchbook, Mister Monkey, with DRAWINGS, drawings I NEED...or you can hear your lawn burn.
    *shaking of matchbox*.
    It's your choice, Mister Monkey. Choose wisely. You have 24 hours. And remember, your lawn's fate is in your hands.
    *more screams and crying*
    *click*
    *radio static*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GAH! Sorry, guys! I'll be back soon! Network problems (stealing a computer quickly from the library now) and university problems (the airport lost one of my bags... of course the one with all my papers in it) so I really haven't had the time. I promise I'll be back as quickly as I can, but right now I have loads of stuff to work out so I can, you know, live and study and not have wasted 58k £ on nothing.

Keep up your great work, guys! Skipped through your works, and looks great!
    *runs off to "effective learning" lecture and computer fixing*

AND DAMN YOU KIDS GEDDOFF MAH LAWN *shakes fist at Lion*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really see improvement here! Nice studies.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew! Okay, peeps, I'm back!

@Lionsword:
    Thanks a lot! And yes, it looks pretty horrid on screen. I used a highlighter to colour the yellow parts. God did my camera hate me.
    And yes, posemaniacs is f*cking KING OF GESTURES.

@p sage:
    thank you, I really appreciate it! I'll try my best, now that my university-issues have been settled!

@Spirit:
    thank you so much! I'll keep working hard and improve all I can!
    And yes, the yellow is SCARRING, isn't it... o_____o

@the_original_sean:
    wow, thanks! Yes, damn, the colours are horrid, I have to keep that in mind the next time I draw... and thanks for the eyes-tip!
    The improvement-challenge is a competiton on dA that one of my friends started. Basically "find old picture, redraw old picture, show".

Some of the work I've done lately. Another 100 heads, this time exactly three minutes on each. And some... gestures and... stuff.
    Male anatomy, I will practice that this week, methinks... And goddamned profiles...

Damn does it take a million years to upload or what? D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooooow, another 100 heads? That alone was definately worth the wait for the update! Again, they all look great and have their own personailities, well done! I love the gesture drawings you've done too, you have caught the movement of the pose very well. I see you've done some life drawing too! Keep going with that, even though it can be hard drawing people in public when they move too fast. The skecthes are good too, the one which caught my eye was the woman with long hair in the water under the tree, it just looks like a really interesting concept. I struggle to think of actual critique to give to you, and I hate not being able to give any! All I can say is carry on with what you're doing, you definately seem to be on the right path.
    Welcome back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Spirit:
    wow, thanks! But if you have any critique at all later, please spew it at me! I live off of Critique and sugar.
    So you saw it was water? That's great, I didn't have any reference and got lazy... I'll practice more, I promise!!

Phew. Summoar drawlingz.
    Was at the Aberpride-party yesterday. Didn't stop me from drawing, though, as my moleskin-pictures show... yes.
    Also, I bought Gray's Anatomy. 1257 pages of bible-sized text. I think this might take a while...

I WILL BE ABLE TO DRAW SOON YOU GUYS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My god... is that book real? O_O its huuuge!! Good luck with that!
    Ooh, I like those anatomy studies (the ones in pencil), they are so neat and clean! It's good to see you are drawing in pen a lot, I should do that too, really, as I make so many mistakes which could easily be avoided And I have a crit! Although you know it already, I'll mention it anyway. Make sure you know where the light is coming from! As its currently coming from (I think) every angle possible on that drawing xD Also, watch the legs on the chair, they seem to be about to snap off, or the chair about to fall over, so make sure you keep an eye on perspective.
    Kudos to you for drawing while you were at the Aberpride-party too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this update man The studies are looking great, and you've got a lot of variety in subjects and poses, keep it up. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming those sketches of bottles and chairs and stuff are life drawings, which is awesome. Life drawings level you up so much faster.

I love your dedication too, 200 hundred heads from ref already, that's really impressive. And you've gotten better too, it's showing. I still have some qualms with your heads in general though. You're simplifying the features and details of the face a LOT, like only drawing the outside corners of the eye and suggesting the rest, and grouping a lot of muscles together so there's not as many details like the entirety of the nose, the brow ridge, that kind of stuff. Take this with a grain of salt though, I prefer definition and details to simple stuff when it comes to faces, so I'm kind of biased.

Keep drawing man, and good luck getting through that book. You're going to need it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at drawing arms. So what do I do? I drag out some Bridgeman, of course.

I did these, and three hours of live model. Didn't have a camera for those. I'll snap a picture tomorrow (have art practice 5 then). The man is actually the model, though, drawn during our break. I was the only person who drew during the break! Come on, you guys! You have a naked guy strolling about, take the opportunity to draw him!

Will comment on your sketchbook when I get home from karate, Lionsword!
    And draw, methinks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am really impressed with your progress. Especially your anatomy studies. Keep up the good work. Its really inspirational to watch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great improvements, love how you singled out one thing you're having trouble with and worked on nothing but that for a while. Your proportions are still a little wonky though, especially the muscles of the arms. It's looks like the forearm muscles are generally to big or too small compared to the biceps, so watch out for that. Also, the pelvis seems pretty stretched in a lot of your studies, and it's throwing the whole thing off. Might be worth doing some studies of the pelvis and torso alone so you understand it better.

Other than that, awesome stuff man. Your dedication is quite inspiring, don't ever stop!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesterday Alvin Lee was on the Chiustream. Alvin Lee. THE Alvin Lee. And he asked us to design ourselves a new Street Fighter character.

Street Fighter lacks Russians, I feel. And no, Necro isn't quite cutting it.
    (Damn her face is ugly. D8< )

I'll just skip all my practice shit, since it's been so damn messy and ugly lately and it would take forever to upload. I'll try to upload regularly from now on so it doesn't pile up... (<-- totally haven't said that before.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay, chiustream was awesome^^^honestly, i was too lazy to do the streetfighter thing...
    looks ho
    sooo mtany sketches....keep at it, monkey!^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, how did I miss these last updates?
    The studies from Bridgman are looking great, you've kept them clean too! It's good that you simplity the forms into blocks and then go on to make them into more "realistic" shapes. I love Bridgman for the fact that he emphasises the shapes and forms, so you know where they are when you study something.
    Very well done for drawing in your break too, you did the right thing! The life drawings are looking good, I hope you have more chances to do those in the future too! ust watch out for the head, in a couple of them the head is slightly too small in compasion to the body. My college was supposed to be holding life drawing classes, but I haven't heard anything about it since I started there... I think I'll ask about it.
    Keep up the great work, your dedication is really paying off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jatherips:
    thanks a lot! And yes, Chiustream was RAD!

@Spirit:
    thank you! Yes, my heads do tend to be too small. Damned anatomy. I guess it'll come with practice.
    Keep working, you!

Right after my last upload the camera ran out of battery and I always managed to forget to buy new ones.
    Sigh....

Well, here's sum art for ya. Birdgeman, Vanderpoel, Mark Demsteader studies, master studies, stuff from life and from my head... a nice mix of my latest junk. Not all of it, though, because... Well, I'm too lazy to upload it.
    My GOD does it take a long time or what? I hope we can upload in bulks in CA ver. 4...

Now back to my visual diary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh, there is a lot in this update! Its good to see you have been mixing up what you are doing an working on a variety of things. The master study looks great!
    Your life drawing of the jar looks great too, you've captured the form very well and the values look great! One thing to look out for though is the perspective, the lid looks slightly off, and it might just be me but it looks like the jar is going to fall over. Apart from that its a veeeery good study. Your life drawings and gestures look good too, I can tell you focused on proportions in these ones as well!
    Well done, and keep up the hard work

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.