Sketchbook: Oh please not yet another sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Monkeydominator is offline Doesn't know about your pencil Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -----

Oh yeah. Did I mention that my scanner died on me? Goddamnit.

Last edited by Monkeydominator; May 22nd, 2009 at 02:05 AM. Reason: -doublepost-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Monkeydominator is offline Doesn't know about your pencil Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well. Uhm. Hi?

Haven't been here for a billion years... We're done with the mock exams, real exams are coming up. Homework is killing me. >>
    As I said, my scanner have died, and taking a picture of everything I've drawn would take a million years. I submit the things I've already photographed for my girlfriend to look at. >XD
    Lazy, me? Noooo...

The two ladies lying on the two first pictures are drawn from photos (will credit the photographers when I get their names, I have it somewhere...), as well as the two guys on the third page (though these are redrawn to fit the characters). The mermaid's upper body is also referenced. Slight reference for the pose of Magical Girl Utena-lady on picture 4.

Yay for lack of progress. =_____=

Attached Images Attached Images                      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well there's progress, lines are more confident for example. Do more studies though! Having basic knowledge of muscles and stuff is a good start... actually you might wanna start with the skeleton. Sigh.. i shouldn't be giving out advice when im a newb. Ok well one solid advice is to just keep drawing when you have time, preferably everyday whether it be 10mins or some hours. Ye... so keep at it!

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you and I are in the same boat in that you're a student and I'm a teacher, so wer're both really busy now. Wait three weeks, and then we can both focus on our art again. Try more studies from life. I like all the little still life objects, etc. Keep that up, and try some portraits, looking in a mirror, or study faces in magazines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going strong man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great lines i am really digging the drawings from life .. and the still life paintings of the apples get some more
    try some more complicated objects and lighting situations !

great work keep at it you will learn much in little time

My Sketchbook

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...156231&page=11

"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to improve do anatomy studies, lots of them. Start with the bones as Imaginary said and work your way out. They can get really boring and tedious but next time you draw a figure from your head you'll notice the differance. Tis very satisfying actually seeing your own progress happen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O hay thar.
    Guess who got her scanner back?

I have drawn more than this, obvously. These are just selected works from, eh... well, 23. and 24 of June.

What? It's a goddamn LOT to scan! I'm seriously not going to scan everything. Especially not now. I wanna draw now. So this will do for now. Upload more tomorrow. Or the day after. Or something.

Scanning is boring...

@Imaginary: thanks a lot! I have taken your advice and practiced skeletal structure, ESPECIALLY the legs. Legs are a friggin' pain. And head angles. Goddamn head angles... anyway, I'll keep up the work! So you better stop on in here sometimes and kickstart me and tell me what I'm doing wrong, you hear?!

@TASmith: hell yes. Finally summer! I've been going at now (but not as much as I've wanted... so I've given myself a work-plan to keep it consistent). I haven't done still-lives or too many portraits, though... I'll do that tomorrow! Thanks a lot!

@Faust: thank you! I'll keep it up!

@Zorcron: Thanks! I'll do some more still-lives with more complicated things... one of my quirky habits is picking up pretty much everything I find on the ground that isn't complete garbage. I think it's about time I gave my shit some special attention... like a still-life, yes (unlike you believe in Toy Story... then I guess it's a portrait..?)

@L0rin: right on, I will (and have, at least a little)! I'll do it every day! Especially that damn skull and stupid head-angles... Oh, oh, and see what I did there? See, I did the 18 rule! Praise my awesomeness in following you artist-folk's tips!

EDIT: Damn, I forgot to mention WHAT I studied! Thanks to BlackDelphin for reminding me!
    The ears and eyes are from Anatomy Drawing School, and the skulls from Loomis' "Drawing the Head and Hands". And now you know!

Last edited by Monkeydominator; July 15th, 2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention what books I studied from. >:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jesus christ talk about discipline. 18 of each thing. i've been meaning to do that, but a guy told me it was 30. i still don't want to do 18. wanna have some fun studying anatomy? download aclands atlas of anatomy. it's an IN DEPTH dvd of a human dissection. intended for medical purposes so there's a lot of useless stuff but it's a fantastic supplement to artists anatomy books.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Aaah just look at those studies!!
    I totally dig those ears!! And i agree ^^; scanning in could be a drag, but i get nervous too when i think that it could not look good...

That aside, keep at it!!!!
    You're really dedicated so far so you're bound to succeed

And btw after what are you studying? Loomis?

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My girlfriend decided that I should scan instead of bothering her. So I did. Scanned some of the practice stuff from the same sketchbook as the last post. I'll... not submit everything. I think it's 28 pages or something. I'll keep it until tomorrow or the day after or some day after that or never. I dunno.
    Enjoy, I guess. *cough*

@the_original_sean: Thank you so much! And yeah, it's pretty boring to imagine it. But when you sit down with some music and lots of time on your hands, it's actually pretty relaxing. And wow, I've looked into it, and that DVD-collection looks AMAZING! It would be awesome to have!

@BlackDelphin: wow, thanks a lot! Yeah, I've drawn mouths, (profile-)noses, ears and eyes... but the ears was the hardest ones! And also the ones I put the most effort into, simply because I can't draw then for shit. And golly! I hope I'll succeed!
    Also, scanning is a drag. And editing is a drag. If it wasn't for the fact that CA is awesome, I'd be too lazy to ever do it.

SKETCHES, I CHOOSE YOU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My girlfriend left. Now I'm lonely. )8
    Just submitting the rest of the art before drowning you in my newer stuff. Didn't draw that much when my girlfriend was here. Who can blame me?
    ... well, everyone can. Bad excuse is bad.

Hard getting back to my grinding habits after such a long time off it. I've practically wasted two days already. Well, at least I've learned a shitload from the CA online classes. Learning is sexy.

Last edited by Monkeydominator; August 18th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got some great studies going on in here, think I better go do some now, keep em coming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there
    I said I'd be checking SB's out... so here I am!
    I've had a quick look through your sketchbook, and I have to say I can see a definate improvement from the start to where you are now! The anatomy studies are looking solid, I can see that you have a good understanding of it, but keep going! You can only get better with practice

I posted this in Morte's sketchbook, but I will post it here too:
    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/05/draw-eyes/ - This blog has some articles, giving advice and pointers on how to draw parts of the face, such as the eye, nose, lips, ears etc. I saw you have already done studies on them, but if you are confused on anything, or just want to study them more, I would definately recommend looking at the articles he has posted. I definately found it helpful, although I havent put his advice to paper yet, soemthing I will do in time.

Keep up the greatwork you have here, Monkeydominator! I should go and work now... feel free to kick me into gear if you see me slacking
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its good that you started doing more anatomy studies. Will really help you out in the near future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your anatomy studies, how long did you spend on your studies of the leg and the leg muscle sketches? Those sketches help me quite a bit.

Something that i learned is to venture into another styles, study more of another drawing style. I do see a very strong anime/cartoon type style.

And the link helped me out a ton, i'm still actually looking at them, i just took a break to take a look at your SB.

"Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason."

Leonardo Da Vinci

La Super Duper Uber SG!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you definitely got me beat in the studies department. For the most part everything's pretty good, it's all pretty accurate and shows a lot of promise. You know what you're doing, so I won't say anything =P

You're the opposite of me though - I do too many pictures from imagination and not enough studies, while you do too many studies and not enough pictures from imagination. I'd love to see some stuff from your crazy mind.

Now go doodle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @The man with no name:
    thanks a lot! And I surely will! (once work is over... goddamned thing...)

@Spirit:
    thanks for the link and encouragement! Yes, I have improved a little I guess, but not nearly as much as I could have. I look forward to going to university, I hope the drive of the class will be... eh... a LITTLE more motivational than my former one.
    And oh, I WILL study facial features more! Like Morte said, my style is way to... animé... and I'm trying to get rid of that.
    NOW YOU GO BACK TO DRAWING!

@laxon:
    oh yes, it will! I will do PLENTY more than these. I still haven't gotten rid of my bad habits yet...

@Morte:
    thank you! How much time I spend is really depending on what I draw and HOW I draw it. If I'm drawing to really learn how things work, it can take a hell of a time, while some only take from two to ten minutes. On these, I spent 5-12 minutes on the human sketches, and... uh... actually, I have no idea about the other stuff. I don't really keep track of time, except for my breaks (so my arm won't completely shrivel and die, the useless thing).
    Ouch! You kicked me right in my art nuts. Yes, my style is very anime-ish... a terrible habit I picked up after four years of "IMMA BE THE BEST ANIMU ARTIST EVAAAAAAAAAR" and "IMMA BE A MANGA-KA WHEN I GROW UP DESU DESU DESU DESU". I still feel it's horrid grip on me... Nothing wrong with anime, by all means, but I want to learn realism and work from there.
    And yes, that link was really good!

@Lionsword:
    Thanks a lot! I do actually draw a lot from my head, but... eh... lacking a visual library, my doodles tend to... kinda... a little... look like cow diarrhea. Also, I had it lurking in my head for a while that CA wasn't really that interested in my mindfarts, seeing as they too tend to be like a cow's former breakfast. I'll try to get some stuff up, though it's not nearly as awesome as yours.

So yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah. My arm's apparently hating the sh*t out of me. Working at the cashier's stand doesn't help much. Five to nine hours of work, one hour each way to travel, family stuff, university stuff... things have been a little hectic lately. And will continue to be for a while. Most of these are drawn at work, while listening to the CA online classes or while being our with my family.
    Well! Only two weeks and I'll be spending time with my girlfriend in Oslo for almost three weeks. This meaning: I can draw like crazy while she's at school. STRIKE!

Also, I won a 1,500 GBP scholarship for my good high school grades. DOUBLE!

Oh, and I've got a sketchbook support group now! TURKEY!!!

EDIT:
    some of these are (loosely) drawn from stock-photos, second one is doodles from master works, some are from life and some are from my head and all look like donkey poo. )8<
    GIVE ME SOME YEARS WILL YA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *gives you some years*

I love this new stuff, especially that one of the zombie dude eating his arm. It's got a nice feel to it that your others are lacking. And the studies are looking better too, although still a little wonky. Keep it up! And the rest of CA might not be interested in your brainfarts, but I am. I love stuff from imagination. (but you probably already knew that) So don't stop. Ever. o.o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the sketchies commentary.

Subscribed!

sketchbook

I want to be a writer when I grow up.

My first book is going on sale in 2011!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, yes sir!
    This last lot is great! I agree with Lionsword, the zombie is coool, and it brought a smile to my face when I saw the heart as he is eating his own arm. The things from your imagination are definately improving, so are your studies! I'd write a longer crit for you, but I have to go very soon. Ya! Having a SSG roooocks, you are all awesome!
    Keep up the good work, Monkey!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lionsword:
    Thanks! Yes, you're right, they're wonky, and one of my major problems is getting some feelings into my drawings. Simply because I don't dare to! I see how the anatomy is wonky and that I don't have reference; BAM, time for "generic pose-o-matic"! But now I have you guys to tell me to get off boring. Boring is addictive, but I can get off it!

@ataxas:
    thank you! It means a lot! And I like your sketchbook, so you just got a subscriber as well.

@Spirit:
    Thank you! I kinda miss doing studies, though. I really notice how it's easier to draw from imagination after some hours with studies. And yes, the SSG is really helping me draw now! GO GO POWER... artist?

Another day, another eight hour workday with two hours of travel. As well as some bank issues.
    Well, as I said to Spirit, I sure miss my studies. )8 The shittiness of these is unbelieveable. I STUDIED LEGS. WHY WON'T THEY BE DRAWN?!
    I found out that I have HUGE problems with seeing a pose in my mind. Know what that means? Gesture drawings tomorrow! And construction!
    Well, I work tomorrow as well as Sunday, so I'll do what I can. At least I have the day off Monday.

I do from now on dedicate all my failures to Spirit, because she inspired me to submit even that which looks like Chernobyl-kitty-victims.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehehee, I'm glad that I inspired you to post everything up! You'll get even more help that way, and your conifence so to speak will improve We're still learning, afterall!
    Ya, every since joinging the SSG I've noticed my drive has improved and I just want to draw more, which I should do I like the zombie girl, the bite out of her arm made me smile... I like zombies too much I think!
    Are those life drawing I spy? They are gooood, how long did it take you to do them? It's good to see you working in pen too, a variety of media will help you and expand what effects you can achieve (I should do this too). Well, if you miss the studies, do some of them along with things from life/imagination. What harm could it do, make you better at art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah.. i swear i saw the improvement on this sketchbook.. keep that hardworking.. ur doing great dude..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm digging the life drawings, great job! Very inspiring!!!

I'll work my hardest!!! ><

"Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason."

Leonardo Da Vinci

La Super Duper Uber SG!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Spirit:
    Yeah, I really feel driven now... like there are someone waiting for me to get my ass in gear and submit something.
    Zombies are AWESOME! I really look forward to getting the skull and skeleton down properly so I can move on to muscles. When muscles and skeletal structure is down, I'll be able to make some pretty damn RAD zombies!
    And hm, you're right, some studies would be great to do as well... Well, I dub next week "hand week", in honour of these fine-tuned instruments that make art possible, but are a pain in the bottom to draw. I will draw at least three hands every day, and I suggest you other people do too!

@ermanoz:
    haha, thank you! I'm kind of pissed off, though. If I hadn't been such a lazyass, I would've been a LOT better than I am today. But I will get my lazy cured for sure!

@Morte:
    Thank you! And you better do!

Just some doodles and a page of life doodahs. WAY tired, getting up at five tomorrow. )8
    Well, at least when I'm done at the doctor's I'll have the rest of the day off. Sadly I promised a friend a comic, so my day will prolly be spent doing that rather than making CA-related art.
    And no, I won't upload the comic here. It will have a bad case of the gays. >|D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww, I hate getting up early too and I hope everything goes well at the doctors! Any drawing is better than no drawing, so well done on doing something even though you are tired, and doing life drawing is even better! I agree on the zombies too and yay, Morte is alive! The evil smile on the girls face in the last picture is great!
    Have fun with the comic if you do decide to do it, I'm sure your friend will love it! Hand week sounds like a great idea too... I can;t wait to see the results of that! I may do that on a different subject, I'll have to see. Keep up the good work

Last edited by Spirit; August 31st, 2009 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I don't see why you shouldn't keep that anime-ish face style. It works really well with your style, and it feels genuine. You could have one hell of an attractive style if you nurture it. Just my two cents.

I really like that girl with the antlers, it's a great concept. Good stuff all around =) Although all the words beside the pictures are very distracting. Makes me want to beat up them words in a dark corner, y'know?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, checking in because i had a bit of time on my hands and I randomly saw some post from you in the lounge.

I see that you're still more or less constantly chewing out work, which is great! After all, i heard it's the most important step to becoming a great artist. Your scetches are also quite imaginative and you seem to handle values well in terms of putting up interesting lighting conditions.

Your figures could use some improvement though. You're mainly drawing female characters which maybe because you want to dodge anatomy since women supposedly aren't that muscular. But in fact, they look wrong also, because Females have exacly the same muscles as males only they vary in proportions and size. Also, your faces are all for the most part without emotion as are your gestures. If you draw down a figure it may be beneficial to think about what this person is actually doing to make a more believable character. Also, if he's just posin, he's actually doing something and he or she should radiate with character.
    Next thing is the most important though. FORM!!!! You're not getting it right at the moment. What you're drawing are objects in space and should be treated as such. Use your hatching to fold around the form like a batch of strings. If you want to train that, do exercise of simple geometry, Cubes, Spheres and such and try to make them 3D. Also, copying from photos will only worsen your bad hatching habit atm. Since you are treating photos and the stuff on them as flat surfaces so are your drawings, at this point that can be dangerous I saw a lot of artists dwelving on that for years and becoming the ultimate crosshatch-renderers and masters of tone and such, but they still make everything flat and won't go back to drawing from real life because they have been consumed by their comort zone.

Don't get consumed by your comfort zone.-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *coughUPDATEYOULAZYBUMcough*

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.