Any Watts Atelier students?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi, just wondering how many members on this board have been, or already are studying at the Watts atelier in Encinitas?

I've been a part-time student at a small atelier in Indiana for the past four years and have been visiting different ateliers this summer to try and compare them all to see where I will be moving next.

I've visited the Nelson Shanks studio in Philadelphia, have had a chance to drop into one of Jeff Watts classes in Encinitas and will be heading to Minneapolis this week to check out the Lack Atelier's student show.

What do you guys think about the differences between these schools? I really like the focus on illustration and anatomy at Watts and wondered what students from there took away from the program.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There have been a ton of Watts folks posting here over the years, both students and teachers. Do a search and you'll find a wealth of information.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I will.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Best school on the planet. I can't compare it to other ateliers cause I have never been to any, but I went to college for art, and I wish I never wasted time there. One of the great things about the school is that it is very open minded, and they have classed in different things besides life studies. Such as illustration, concept art, story boards, inking, etc. If your goal is to be just a concept artist, I would recommend like the Massive Black school or Kevin Chen's school (not that the concepting classes at Watts are bad, it would just make more sense to go to a school that is geared more for concepting if that is your main goal). But if you want to get strong drawing and painting skills, then this is the place to be. It is insane on what some of the full time students pull off in just a few years. I have been going for almost 3 years I think, only has 2 full time semesters. I plan on going for years to come and when I get more money, be a full time student. My illustration career is just starting to kick off and I owe it all to this school and all the awesome teachers. Oh ya, and its ego free, everyone is cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went there full time for four semesters and I second everything Matt said, best school evar.

“Figure out what you wanna do, then take a nap.”
    www.matthewstarbuck.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been at Watts for close to 3 years now working towards a career in illustration, and I simply can't say enough good things about the school. I seriously don't know where to start, so I will just leave it at that.

I have heard not so good things about Nelson Shanks school. (although I can't remember what those things were or who said them, so you should probably take that comment with a grain of salt) The only other basis of comparison I have are my experiences in community college and a 4 year university, Watts is light years ahead of them.

It would help if you could tell us what your career or educational goals are so that we could give you more specific advice or anectodes. If you have any specific questions feel free to post them here or PM me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great replies.

My goal is to eventually be a fine artist. Norman Rockwell, Dean Cornwell, Howard Pyle all the guys that were great illustrators and could paint, those are the guys whom I wouldn't mind emulating. I don't want to be a concept artist in the sense that I am working on video games or illustrating comic books, but I do want the skill to do so.

My main interest is figurative painting, portraiture, landscape and still-life. I want to be able to paint whatever I see, and also be able to do it from my own imagination. The Watts atelier is the only school I've seen thus far that really incorporates all those elements.

I've been studying part-time at the Lafayette Atelier for the last 3 1/2 years and feel like I finally have enough drawing and painting under my belt just to get started seriously.

I've been saving money like a miser and have been looking at every school I can possibly atttend trying to make the best decision. This will be a 4-5 year full-time commitment.

I appreciate all your guys comments and advice. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Watts sounds like a good fit for what you want. The thing about Watts is that, despite being called an atelier, their program has very little in common with the "Atelier Movement," and draws from a different tradition.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What tradition does Watts draw from?

From what I've seen of other ateliers is a curriculum based upon Bargue copying, cast drawing and figure study. Moving into painting in the second year. The work I've seen coming out of the Angel academies and Jacob Collins' atelier have been spectacular. I've had a hard time really trying to decipher what all the different techniques of each school are compared to one another. From talking with different students and instructors from these schools there is quite a bit of difference between what the Lack Atelier in Minnesota does compared to what the Shanks studio in Philly does. The former being described as French academic and the latter Italian Baroque.

I've done quite a lot of Bargue copying and cast drawing and really want to learn how to draw quickly, and accurately. Same thing with painting. But I want to tell a story, not just copy someone's mug or naked body. Here are a few samples of things I've done thus far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm...believe it or not I didn't get to paint in the red x until the second year.

Well, I'll try and see if I can get the pics to work again......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is no Bargue drawing at watts. I think they would offer a cast drawing class if they knew enough people would sign up. At Watts you are almost always drawing from a live model. They do teach a sort of loose and practical sight-size type method. You might be interested in their quick sketch class for drawing quickly and accurately capturing the gesture of the figure.

Watts has more in common with the Frank Reilly school of art than French academic or Itailian Baroque. http://www.dhfa.net/Artiststatement2.html

A watts teacher thread -> http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60746

“Figure out what you wanna do, then take a nap.”
    www.matthewstarbuck.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watts actually has a cast drawing running this quarter. It doesn't run very often but it does come around once a year or so.

I used to drive to San Diego from LA for two years just so I could attend Watts. Eventually I moved down and now I have lived in San Diego for almost another two years. If you want to learn to draw and paint from life Watts is a great place to be. If you want to become an illustrator Watts is a great place to be.

I believe we actually have one student who went to an Atelier in Minnesota, which I imagine would have been the Atelier you are visiting. He might be able to give you a broader perspective on the schools. I believe Bogus is his name on the conceptart.org forums. You might try sending him a message.

Anyways, Watts is awesome. I think you would be hard pressed to find a place with so many professionals both teaching and taking classes. The community of people here is just great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not much interested in doing Bargue copies and cast paintings anymore. Most of the work I have done here in Lafayette has been that. I prefer to move on, and the illustration backbone that Watts has it what interests me so much.

I will say that the work I saw at Watts has impressed me more that what I have seen elsewhere. When I visited I noticed charcoal copies of work ranging from Repin to Rockwell and paintings from Frazetta to Schmid.

I'll see if I can hit up Bogus for a little more info.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, my name is Erik, I think we spoke when you came by the school. You asked about the tradition that Watts is a part of. The quickest answer is the American Illustration tradition of Frank Reilly circa 1940ish. It is very similar to Loomis (they both studied primarily with Bridgman and Dumond) with the added influence of Pyle via Dunn to Cornwell, who was Reilly's other main teacher. So we are actually tied to the French atelier system through Frank Vincent Dumond(I have been told he actually originated what is known as the "Reilly Method"), and also through Bridgman who was taught by Gerome and Bargue. As Elwell pointed out we are not as rigid in our philosophy as the more direct Atelier lineage. Fred Fixler continued this tradition in his later years in L.A., where he taught, among other people, Glen Orbik. Glen taught Jeff Watts, and here we are.

A quick list of students
    James Bama
    Clark Hulings
    Fred Fixler
    Ted Seth Jacobs
    Gene Colan
    Jack Faragasso
    John Asaro
    etc.

Through Fixler
    Glen Orbik
    Laurel Blechman
    Morgan Weistling
    Greg Pro
    Shawn Zents
    Robh Ruppel
    Mark Westermoe
    and the proverbial many, many more

Last edited by E.M.GIST; May 12th, 2008 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Check out The BarnstoneStudios

compare to here

http://www.barnstonestudios.com/home.html

watch the two vids, one is of Myron talking about the school and art, the other is a breakdown of a Rubens master drawing. Give em a peek and see what ya think. There are also articles and stuff on the goldensection if that interests ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eric: yeah, I believe we spoke briefly. I wasn't sure who was who when I was there. I would have liked to talked to you more but I didn't want to disturb your class. Thanks for the info. That's a very impressive list.

Zazerzs: Thanks man, I'll check it out.

Members who have read this thread: 2