Character concept - Very early stages
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character concept - Very early stages

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character concept - Very early stages

I've been working on this character concept for the past hour or so. She will be clothed soon, but I am having a major problem getting my hands on victorian era clothes that match her - or perhaps even a sort of vaudeville look, frills and lace and corsets, etc. If anyone can point me in the direction of some decent reference, I would be incredibly grateful.
    I'm also posting to double check if the anatomy is okay. I've been agonising over her form for some time, I struggle with really feminine forms.
    If you think this picture looks cartoony, it's meant to - this character is eventually going to be animated.
    The shading was added in extremely quickly (it's only temporary, and for your benefit to make the form easier to read until I colour her properly), so don't focus on that so much as the rest of the picture.
    If there are any other suggestions that you'd like to make, feel free, I'd like this character's design to be perfect and finalised before I begin the heady task of animating!

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pic, and she could be animated for sure!

Here's a few things: tone down the size of her shoulders, as female bodies have noticeably less muscle mass in that area than male ones; make sure you draw her belly right when at a 3/4 angle or it'll look like she's got a stomach tumour protruding out of her otherwise shapely belly (it'll also "pop" out at when she's animated, making it all look rather bad); and finally, keep her belly button high as female belly buttons are higher than male ones.

Her face/head is friggin' great, I love it.

Also, you may be after an "A Frame" female shape, but if you're actually trying to give her an hourglass figure (mah' favourite ), be sure to redistribute some weight to her upper body and accentuate a small waiste (the defining thing in an hourglass shape, and something that goes with corsets, which then go with Victorian dress). Be sure to keep her hands/fingers non-chubby and her feet not too small as this will make her look a little fat rather than curvy.

Great stuff mate, I want to see how this goes!

Please give erudite, constructive critiques or give none at all.

- b l o g - s k e t c h b o o k -

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." - Aldous Huxley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to phiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by phix View Post
    Nice pic, and she could be animated for sure!

Here's a few things: tone down the size of her shoulders, as female bodies have noticeably less muscle mass in that area than male ones; make sure you draw her belly right when at a 3/4 angle or it'll look like she's got a stomach tumour protruding out of her otherwise shapely belly (it'll also "pop" out at when she's animated, making it all look rather bad); and finally, keep her belly button high as female belly buttons are higher than male ones.

Her face/head is friggin' great, I love it.

Also, you may be after an "A Frame" female shape, but if you're actually trying to give her an hourglass figure (mah' favourite ), be sure to redistribute some weight to her upper body and accentuate a small waiste (the defining thing in an hourglass shape, and something that goes with corsets, which then go with Victorian dress). Be sure to keep her hands/fingers non-chubby and her feet not too small as this will make her look a little fat rather than curvy.

Great stuff mate, I want to see how this goes!
    Thanks a lot, this is all golden.
    I was indeed going for an A Frame bodyshape, but I might as well see what happens if I thin out the hips a little just as an experiment.
    I'll post an update as soon as I finish her clothes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate, just saw that you're from Brissy; where are you studying? I've done an animation course and maybe you have my old teachers? ??:lol: [*psst* btw, a tip; when you thank people on CA, hit the "Thanks" button at the bottom right-hand corner of their repective post ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by phix View Post
    Hey mate, just saw that you're from Brissy; where are you studying? I've done an animation course and maybe you have my old teachers? ??:lol: [*psst* btw, a tip; when you thank people on CA, hit the "Thanks" button at the bottom right-hand corner of their repective post ]
    There we are, thanked you. What a mad coincidence, eh? Right now I'm studying at the Queensland College of Art at Southbank, and for the past two years I've been studying at the Queensland University of Technology. Are you from either of those?
    Maybe we should meet up, have a bit of an artjam!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Fate View Post
    There we are, thanked you. What a mad coincidence, eh? Right now I'm studying at the Queensland College of Art at Southbank, and for the past two years I've been studying at the Queensland University of Technology. Are you from either of those?
    Maybe we should meet up, have a bit of an artjam!
    Ooh, nup, I went to The Southbank Instuitute, ie, TAFE, back in 2005-06. It was pretty good there though, despite the whole "TAFE-lesser-than-uni-ness" that pervades the place

Last edited by phiq; May 15th, 2008 at 07:17 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.