Mitch and the Bat
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mitch and the Bat

So I have this idea of doing a series of these little things I'm going to call vingettes, based around Mitch's adventure through an ancient temple. The intent is to use them as wallpapers that people can download at their leisure.

I'd like to think that this is pretty much done, but would like to push it as far as it can go and figure fresh eyes is how to do that. So please, give me your feedback!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ScaryPotato; May 25th, 2008 at 10:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Over all I like it ok, but I think it could be taken a little further. For example, you have some vegetation breaking the frame on the left, which I like, but it seems kind of out of place by itself. I think it could use a couple more objects breaking the frame (perhaps more vegetation). I can't tell what the monkey is holding. A sci-fi ray gun? The monkey doesn't seem to be looking at anything in particular (or possibly something off frame). The bat and the scuplture head seem to be lit by the warm light of the torch, but the monkey is lit by a cooler, white light. A little more warmth on the monkey would make them all work in the same light.

I realise you are after a simplified style, but even so things seems just a little plain (for my taste anyways).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmmm, I must agree with Dweller...

I think some hard, obvious edges would help, and for some of the highlights, to be lighter and a li'l stronger. Overall, its a little flat, and kinda blurry. I love the style, you just need certain areas to be stronger, like the vegatation, the stone statue, and a li'l more contrast - but I think that will happen once hard edges are added...... nice though, real nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try pushing the highlights a little bit. If you notice, things like the plants breaking the fame, the bat above, the ground, all have more light from the torch than the monkey, who is closer than all of those things, and should logically have more light on him. Fix this, and it will also make it pop a bit more and strengthen the composition.

Also, I agree with everything else that has already been said.

Keep on trucking!

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys for the really good advice! I went and made some changes (specifically higlights and stronger shadows) The highlights on objects are something that I'm always afraid of overdoing, which would explain why most of my paintings look flat and boring. Also, I changed the position of his Blue Raygun so it's a little more obvious what it is The weeds on the left were meant as a means of getting attention from the viewer, but it looked more distracting in the end than anything, so they got pushed back. If it needs more of one thing or less of another, tell me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this one much better than the original. It is definitely more interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went in and did some more tweaking...the grass on the left was bothering me a little. Tried to give his belly a little more texture too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this looks really cool!

i have a question though....
    u said u want to use this and others alike to be downloaded as wallpapers, right? in that case, u might want to change the format of the canvas since if people will download this to their wallpaper they will either have to get a slim whole picture but the rest of the desktop empty, or they will strech it or tile it. and i don't think this is what you're aiming for. keep in mind that most computer screen proprtion are 4:3 (w:h) or the new ones as widescreen 16:9 . so for the next images work with that canvas proprtions.

then again, since others much way better then me and more experienced said nothing of this matter i'm starting to think i might be wrong...

Last edited by Noa K; May 10th, 2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: a moment of inconfidence....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Noa K thanks for the advice, but I'm way ahead of you on that I was just cropping down the image onto the main focal points since I don't consider the rest of the image all that relavent in what was being changed around. Just to clear things up though, here is a link of what it will look like as an actual wallpaper :
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...ayanMitch3.jpg

It's format is 1600x1200 right now, but there will be another resized for the wider screens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooooohhhh! i see!
    very cool!
    lovit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool changes! The gun makes more sense now, and the warm light on the monkey works much better. Also, changing the direction the monkey is looking added to the story telling and helps lead your eye to the bat. My only complaint is the bat isn't quite as visible as it could be. Maybe give it a little more of that torch light, at least on the edges.

Not that it absolutely needs it, there's nothing wrong with a piece being dark, but have you played with adding in a little subtle reflected light to the shadows? Just a little rim light, or fill light on the shadow side to make the elements pop a little more. Or as an alternative, maybe making the background behind the monkey and bat just a little lighter so they stand out from the background some. If you want them to fade into the darkness some, that's fine too because I think your primary light source is strong enough, but it might be worth seeing if you like it.

PS I like how the whole background looks too! Good design elements.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so here are some updates! I did actually post the Mitch and the Bat in the FF forum, but went back the other day to make a couple changes to it. Here it is again, with backlighting per The Dwellers suggestion. I tried it before you brought it up and thought at the time that it made Mitch look too plastic-y, but it adds a more rounded feel so went back and put it in again...

Mitch and the Bat

And here is a new one! I tried to use all the great tips from doing Mitch and the Bat on this one...Mitch Finds a Powerup. I'm not too confident about the torso or the feet. The torso is somewhat hidden behind the bubbles, but it sort of feels like a cop out not putting more detail in. As for the feet, not having toes is a style thing (I was intending to animate this guy at one point), but it still feels unconvincing. Can someone please point out for me what might be done to fix that? As well as the usual overall critique too. Thanks!

Mitch Finds a Powerup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ther mr. scarypotato!
    first of all, i gotta say i just love your work! nifty!

as for comments, the only one i have at the moment is the way the power-up is arranged on the sea-floor.. it looks like a... dick. sorry, but that's what i see there - with the folding of the sand and the power-up at the top, it look like a... mmm... dick.
    with the algie as pubic hair?....
    it's hilariously funny with the charcter's expression and all, but i'm pretty sure that's not what u meant...

i think there's seriously something wrong with me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm looking, and I'm not seeing dick personally. All I see on this one is I'd kind of like to see a little more contrast down where the power up is so it stands out more, and appears to glow more. If you could make the area around it a little darker it would really pop more. Otherwise this looks really great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right! Here is my updated version of the powerup wallpaper.

Noa K, my wife mentioned the same thing about the weeds looking like pubes! I figured the fact that they're shiney and green might take away that imagry, but apparently not. I like them though because they sort of make me think they might reach up and grab you! I'm not seeing anything phallic though, but maybe I'm just naive.

The Dweller, I've toned down the light quite a bit to make the powerup stand out more and think it does the trick, thanks for that

If there is anything else I can do to push this further by all means let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the power up pic- nice touch with the shadows of the fish in the back. Will we be playing or seeing this soon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the torch light being reflected by the monkey lacks red.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryPotato View Post

Noa K, my wife mentioned the same thing about the weeds looking like pubes! I figured the fact that they're shiney and green might take away that imagry, but apparently not. I like them though because they sort of make me think they might reach up and grab you! I'm not seeing anything phallic though, but maybe I'm just naive.

i don't think you're naive.. it's the corrupted ppl i'm hanging out with put these subliminal recongition of phalic imagery where ever i go...seriously.
    actually, i liked the weeds from the start, i like the way you styled them and all. and i really love the last changes you've made!
    i still see a penis down there, i know i'm sick and most likely only i see it but i attach this hoping you'd understand what i meant... (i really don't see anything else to comment about... so humbled...)

Last edited by Noa K; May 26th, 2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: omg.. cropped too big

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep tweaking these thing and am going to call them done! The Torch scene has a little tinge of red now...I figure there wouldn't be much since Mitch is so close to the flame..the light would be more yellowy orange, but then I'm thinking about the red shift thing from the sun from way back in science class!
    Here they are....

Also, I've added a little screenshot of the game I"m trying to make to go along with everything to do with these Adventure Apes The game I have is an older version of the same concept (trying to make the graphics more colourful/interesting this time around!)

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if these are wallpapers, shouldn't they be wide instead of long?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love these, especially the air-filled cheeks on #2.

Only part I'm not sure of is the eyebrow in #2, his left (our right) where it's seperated, his brow ridge seems emotive enough without the actual brows, but even the brows don't bother me, simply don't know if it that one needs to be quite so exaggerated.

But this is a tiny nit-pick (appropriate simian pun) these are excellent designs man, far outshines anything i've committed to paper/screen so feel free to ignore.

"I had an Ant Farm... them fellas didn't grow sh*t!" - Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

Be the 4th to leave a comment in...
    The Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking really awesome! The last change made the power up pop out really nicely. That game screen shot reeeeaaalllly makes me miss old style video games from my childhood. I SO want to play this game!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here is a new piece that I'm kind of stuck on. Firstly, it's so brown...too brown I think. Here is a link to the full WIP so you can see the colour scheme. I don't think it's bad, but I'm open to any suggestions!Secondly, I find the pose for Mitch's torso to be kind of boring. It's just flat colours right now, but I was hoping for something more intense pose-wise. Thirdly, I'm sure that if Noa K sees this that there will be something mentioned about the tongue, hah! It's blatant, I know, but the Stickytongue creature is a legitimate enemy in the game

Okay, to sum up, please let me know your opinions on the pose of Mitch (the monkey on the right) and the overall colour scheme. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot about the comments about the last couple posting, so here they are...

TASmith, I've cropped all my images down because they only take up a small part of the full wallpaper. My concept is to have it like a framed scene on a simple background image...but at some point they'll all be sized to suit the standard monitor settings

Nth Turtle I totally agree about the eyebrow not being necessary in the swimming image, but part of my character design for Mitch is to have big bushy eyebrows that are not physically part of his body. It'd be weird for such a distinct feature to be in one image and not in the next...although, he has a gun in the first one and it's missing in the swimming pic. Ah well, it's fantasy, and the eyebrows must stay!

J Wilson It's nice seeing you and Noa K follow along in my development of these things! I'm glad the game screen brought back a sense of nostalgia for you, that's exactly what I was going for; the old NES kind of style. I need to shake off the rust on my coding skills and get a playable version of it done soon...but for now, if you want to see my first attempt at it, feel free to click here to see my first attempt at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here is a new piece that I'm kind of stuck on. Firstly, it's so brown...too brown I think. Here is a link to the full WIP so you can see the colour scheme. I don't think it's bad, but I'm open to any suggestions!Secondly, I find the pose for Mitch's torso to be kind of boring. It's just flat colours right now, but I was hoping for something more intense pose-wise. Thirdly, I'm sure that if Noa K sees this that there will be something mentioned about the tongue, hah! It's blatant, I know, but the Stickytongue creature is a legitimate enemy in the game

Okay, to sum up, please let me know your opinions on the pose of Mitch (the monkey on the right) and the overall colour scheme. Thanks!
    why not make him like he fell on his behind?

and on the previous comment on the torch light, i just thought that its ok for the super highlight to be yellow, but the darker highlight to be more reddish because his fur is brown.

cool game and awesome illustrations, btw.
    hope i can do things like that XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thought of him landing on his butt would seem a bit strange I think since the tongue is still coming towards him...but your suggestion gave me an idea to have him in a more defensive posture, thanks waranghira Here is an update...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't like how we can't see Mitch, what about having him dive flat on his face to avoid the tongue attack? a kinda 'Ooof' picture as he hits the deck. Or if you like the idea of the lower torso only, how about him legging it in the other direction?

Again, nice imagery though, i'm starting to feel for the wee guy.

"I had an Ant Farm... them fellas didn't grow sh*t!" - Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

Be the 4th to leave a comment in...
    The Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thought of him landing on his butt would seem a bit strange I think since the tongue is still coming towards him...but your suggestion gave me an idea to have him in a more defensive posture, thanks waranghira Here is an update...

actually, before the thought of our hero falling on his butt hit my mind, i thought of another defending pose similar to that. Its just that i had no idea on how to express it, so went with the fall. XD

Yes, that one is good. Try making him lean more to the back or away and see if its does any good.

my pleasure on sharing my inputs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so I'm still struggling mightily on the Stickytongue wallpaper concept. The stones are driving me crazy. I've been focussing more on my little game idea lately and have decided to post a very rough demo of it here more or less to try and keep this thread alive (even if there are no real concept art things to look at) I'm trying real hard to make this game look good There are lots of flaws with it still, but if anyone is curious, please feel free to download it from my site here. My brain is bubbling over with ideas for it, but if anyone plays it and has some suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Oh yeah, the arrow keys control Mitch (your character), 'A' shoots his gun, and 'P' sends you to the pause screen, but there isn't anything to do in there really other than enjoy the tune...and of course, I should have included an image earlier. Better late than never, aye?

Last edited by ScaryPotato; June 30th, 2008 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think hold the gun behind the back seems less defensive and more of a lack of being defensive, who puts their gun away when under attack? and to , why not have some stronger reflected light coming from behind mitch, (like the reflection on the right side of the stones so you may already be planning this in a later stage of the painting), this could be used on the monkey to help redefine the edge as he's still sort of getting lost amidst those darker browns on the right

"Today, a young man on acid, realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.