art in europe I need to see

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

art in europe I need to see

So Im graduating from school and doing the oh so cliche backpacking around europe for a month with a few friends next week.

I will be in Brussels, Amsterdam, Munich (and other places in germany maybe), Italy (rome and maybe others), and Paris. Its our rough plan, we might be going to more places. We aren't really making a solid itinerary, just kinda moving around as we please.

I'm definitely not gonna have time to go to every museum everywhere especially since the guys im going with aren't big art buffs, but I'd love some suggestions on some "must-see" art while Im there.

Also, any suggestions on just cool things to see/do are welcome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    odd you have gone for the capitals apart from in germany ;o

hope you have a good time, i'm not a big fan of paris though

barcalona might be somewhere you want to check out too, italy is fantastic, though i've not been to rome

even just walking around and seeing all the different architecture is kinda fun, amsterdam with its crazy thin wonky buildings, to the classical italian grandioso style

in all honesty there is so much stuff to go and see in europe i'm sure you will have a great time where ever you go, though the exchange rate might make you wince!

must say I don't think any of my friends have backpacked around europe, though as we live here its easy to go away for long weekends

oh and why isn't London on your list, worried about the language barrier? ;]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, actually we're flying into London, but we're hardly staying there a night before we move on. My friends all think its too expensive or some craziness.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Louvre in Paris, of course. Lots of other nice museums there.

The Uffizi is a MUST if you're going to Italy, in Florence. All the old masters seems to represented there one way or another.

The old dutch masters seems to be represented no matter where you go in Netherlands, within short range, as the country isn't that big.

National gallery/Tate in London, if you're going there, of course.

Actually, every national gallery in every country you visit. There's usually one in every capitol.

Also, a lot of the war museums are tons of inspiration. Not to mention that half of them has some really striking art made during the years.

Some of the cities are like walking in an art museum anyway... Like Prague, Paris (in the right parts), etc, just make sure to visit the old towns whereever you go, and make sure to not only look where you're walking, but upwards and to the sides as well. You'll find sculputures, amazing architecture and things you didn't even know could find its way to a facade or a bridge.

Visiting "folk museums" is usually a good inspiration too, old buildings, old clothes, old ways of decorating, old handcraft and sometimes old art. It helps you see the local history as well as being inspiring.

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if brussels has more "must-see" art then gent. But they're about half 45 mins or so apart from eachother by train, so you can do both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're gonna do all that in a month? That's courageous

Personally I love Paris, especially for art. The Louvre will make your head explode. In Brussels, go to the museum of fine art, not to be confused with the palace of fine art ! Or the Antoine-Wiertz museum. : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Wiertz I'm situated near Brussels, if you wanna visit the museum or go for a drink we could meet up ?

www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If these are really good friends then fine. Otherwise, ditch em, you're gonna miss so much art.

The Louvre in Paris at least is a must, as is Musee D'Orsay. Besides all the painting, the Louvre also has a really phenomenal sculpture gallery, great for sketching. If the Orangerie is open, check it out, i think it's all Monet? It wasn't open when I was there. Also Picasso's museum in Paris is good and it's smaller. Also, take a trip out to Versaille and Giverny. Besides Monet's house, there's a nice American Impressionist museum there.

You have to go to Florence, over Rome. Rome is a beautiful city, but the art doesn't quite compare. Rome does have some great works by Caravaggio in various churches and museums (also some great sculptures by Bernini). Also, Milan's got a great museum to go see, too. The Vatican has mostly modern art, with some roman sculpture and renaissance tapestries. I mean they also have the Sistine Chapel and Raphael's frescos, but yeah. They also have a strict schedule, so get there early in the morning, and don't be surprised if half of it's closed.

Amsterdam has the Rijks museum which is a must, along with Rembrandt's house, Anne Frank's house, and the Van Gogh museum. I did it all in a day when I was there, but it was rushed.

You really have to add Spain to your journey - Madrid and Barcelona have great museums. El Prado is one of the world's greatest. All those Velazquez and Goyas...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're going to Brussels i highly recommend visiting the war museum there. Bring a camera and tons of SD cards.

Prague is also a beautiful city, and the people are very friendly. Being lost/exploring is very fun in prague. Go see some mucha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When in Paris I would reaaaaally go to the Palais de Tokyo. It's a really nice museum and they often have great contemporary art exhibitions.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For Munich you could look into this: Kunstareal (Wikipedia description and some useful links)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    God, I forgot the Pompidou in Paris. That along with the Louvre and D'Orsay are the main three sites. The Museum Carnivale has a ton of portraits, some good. I saw a couple works by Luigi Loir that I liked and they have one good Prudhon portrait. But, honestly, there's better work by Prudhon in the Louvre.

When I went to they Museum of Contemp Art in Paris all they had were minimalist installation art (rectangles painted on the wall) and some skateboards made from dogchewy material. Ooh, there was some crazy art academy I visited there too - on display was a pink dollhouse surrounded by confetti snow, with a tape player mixing an old man's laughter with machinegun fire... This was back in 2001. Anyhow, yeah the three places most worth visiting are up at the top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome guys. Thanks a ton! That'll probably be plenty to fill up my time for my art outings.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    If these are really good friends then fine. Otherwise, ditch em, you're gonna miss so much art.
    Agreed.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.