Does anyone use the Wacom Cintiq?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Does anyone use the Wacom Cintiq?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Does anyone use the Wacom Cintiq?

Hey there everyone,

Someone I work with is heavily considering getting a Wacom Cintiq http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/21UX.cfm and both of us were wondering if there's anyone out there that uses this thing.

If you do, do you have any thoughts or comments?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it.

Although the drawing experience is not quite life changing for me like how some raving reviews portrayed it to be (no magic drawing skill upgrade here!), oil painting with Artrage or using Painter's watercolour brushes gives me a much better feedback than with my Intuos 3. If you angle it almost upright you can hold the stylus as if you were painting on real canvas - fingers above the ferule or like when you grip a dart. Your drawing hand or stylus holding hand will block what you're drawing like when drawing on paper so that's something you have to get used to and especially if you're so used to the eye-hand disconnect when using Photoshop. But if you customize the "express keys" and grip pen buttons right you can sketch efficiently and fast without the need of a keyboard device.

It helps to have a dual monitor setup so you can for example have Photoshop's navigator window or ref images on your secondary monitor and have a zoomed up view on the Cintiq. If you go this way you may have to address some colour calibration issues.

I have my Cintiq upright so I don't have much clearance to rotate the whole thing on my table than if I have it flat so I rely more on the software's canvas rotate feature. Cintiq comes with its own colour profile but I don't know how reliable this is.

The pen that comes with it is nothing remarkable. You can still use your old Intuos 3 with it if you want (or use more than one stylus with different custom settings, like having different brush tools ready to go).

I wish the express keys were back lit so it's easier to see what you're pressing in the dark. And also, all Cintiqs should come with at least one smudgeguard or a screen cleaning kit. Native resolution is 1600 x 1200 (manual requires it to be at this max resolution) so, I'm not sure if this would be an issue if you do a lot of stuff for print or hd video work.

I've found from a Cintiq using animator that animating in Flash is not really that beneficial especially if you just use symbols or cut outs.

People have mentioned cursor to pen tip lag but this was never an issue for me after calibrating the pen in properties. I don't really rely on the cursor for feedback but if you look really really close there's a slight delay. I'm also still on XP.

Last edited by FlipMcgee; May 7th, 2008 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd punch orphans and tell them there's no Santa for one. Is that wrong?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dweller View Post
    I'd punch orphans and tell them there's no Santa for one. Is that wrong?
    I sure as hell hope not or else I'm gonna have to find something else to do on weekends.

And weeknights.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_Lynch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flip- Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'll definitely pass all of what you said along to my friend. After doing some research I found the some people have complained about the line quality when using the Cintiq with Photoshop have you ever noticed this?

I imagine if you just throw enough ram at Photoshop it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, no problem.

Re: line quality, I stopped using PS for controlled lines or inking when I discovered the beauty of vector lines so I can't really give a fair recommendation other than to confirm thick and thin set to pen pressure works okay and that with only 1 gig ram, brush size at 130 on a4 canvas and 1600 dpi, regular strokes are still in real time but lags slightly if you flick a long stroke.

Anybody coming straight from analog inking should also consider the feel of the wacom stylus. It's chunky when you grip it closer to the nib.

If you haven't yet, you may want to search for webcomic artists who ink with Cintiqs to get a more accurate opinion on linework.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Setting the double clicking stuff to off in the Wacom driver setting removes the somewhat annoying lag the Cintiq has.. Don't know if this is what you meant with the line quality?

The Cintiq rocks. I'm probably not gonna work without one anymore.

Senior Concept Artist - BioWare

My opinions do not represent those of my employer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikko K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been working on mine over a year, and I love it. I think it really worth for me, especially it helps to make my job done faster.

For drawing, it does feels like drawing on paper. I can draw more detail and accurate with it. I think cintiq's line weight contorl is better when compare to intuos2. I can draw thinner lines with Cintiq. I mostly use Photoshop for painting and it didn't cause lagging problem for me as long as the brush size is reasonable. For comic, I'm using Manga Studio and it run pretty smooth and no lag at all, expect for some special brushes.

Once you get used to the Cintiq, you don't want go back to the tablet. The only comments about the cintiq, I would say is the heat. It's really nice and warm in the winter, but if it is hot in the summer, like over 90 degree, then it will be burning hot!! I will compare the heat it with a light box, it's about the same level.

Some people say they experience lagging on the brush stroke. I personally didn't have this problem, but I do have 4GB of ram and 512Mb video card. I think the lagging issue can be cause by the computer spec.

It is the best investment I made in my life!

Visit my website @
    www.Pencilkiller.com

My first published work
    www.Rhysmyth.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Lynch View Post
    Flip- Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'll definitely pass all of what you said along to my friend. After doing some research I found the some people have complained about the line quality when using the Cintiq with Photoshop have you ever noticed this?
    Personally I've always found Photoshop horrible for line quality, however Painter can produce beautiful and controlled lines so I would simply recommend using Painter for line work and inking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flip- thanks for that video.

Frog from itchy- I think I'll be downloa... I mean purchasing Painter at some point today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FlipMcgee, that is a nice video.

I forget to mention one thing. When inking with photoshop and painter, the line is anti-alias. If your work is going for B&W print, make sure you ask about what kind of printing process they use. For the traditional linescreen printing, the anti-alias line may look blurry in the printing process because it only use black ink, with no gray. So the gray area of the anti-alias line will render as black and may look fuzzy at the print out. If they use stochastic printing, it use small dots instead so the line should be look fine.

Visit my website @
    www.Pencilkiller.com

My first published work
    www.Rhysmyth.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, thats very helpful.

For the immediate future I think a majority of the work is going to stay digital but I'll definitely keep that in mind for other things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, thats very helpful.

For the immediate future I think a majority of the work is going to stay digital but I'll definitely keep that in mind for other things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anyone have spare 2.5k USD laying around? gimme? I want one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love it, BUT:
    1. two dead pixels already after 2 weeks of use.
    2. tiny scratches all ovet the screen that i can only see when i bend my head and let the light reflect off the surface. But why are they even there in the first place? now i use a glove to draw, I don't think I am making anymore scratches. It probably had to do with sweat or something.
    3. base doesnt allow the tablet to be completely upright, which is weird.

everything else i love, but the first 2 points piss me off so much after how much time,effort, and money I went through to get this thing I wanted it to be perfect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used a cintiq during a brief concept job a year back. It's nice but it does tend to achieve dead pixels quickly as Pavel said. I wish they had replacement clear sheets for the top so scratches wouldn't occur. I would prefer to have a small portable handheld screen for quick didigtal workups. Can't remember what it was but I think I saw a few people using it at Seattle. Can anyone clarify what that device is?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Urs scratched as well?

damn, so all of them are as fucked as my product?
    it sucks, because after paying 3 grand, and physically driving from montreal to New York to get it i wanted it to be perfect, but i get hit with dead pixels and scratches that arent supposed to even exist, seeing as the pen is harder then the surface.

why do dead pixels occur? any way to fix it? one of them is black and the other one is magenta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only way scratching would'nt occur is if th pen were softer than the surface, not the other way around. I do agree though, you think they would have some sort of protective screen like the ones you can get for an ipod. I wonder what would happen if you used clear contact paper.

Also, you went through all that trouble and did'nt get any sort of warranty?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe i did (ordered it from wacom, i think u get automatic warranty), but how do i get an exchange?
    drive to NYC again (9 hours), drive back, and then come back in a few days to get a new one?

what else can i do, i ordered it straight from Wacom, and they are dicks and only sell to America so I had to pretend im American. They will probably refuse to recieve and ship from and to Canada

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats rough. I have no idea what there warranty or customer service is like but i would think they would honor a warranty no matter where their product was purchased.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    but how do i get an exchange?
    Call their 1-800 number. Go to tech support extension. Explain to them your situation. If they think it's a valid issue they'll give you an RMA #, require you to fax or email a copy of your invoice, and ask you if you want ship it back to the reseller, to wacom or if you want to do a cross ship exchange which would be easier and faster (you'll hand in your defective unit when the replacement arrives). But if you pick cross shipping you'll have to provide credit card info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine arrived this morning. It's a lovely bit of kit. I thought I was pretty intuitive with my Intuos but I'm finding the Cintiq to be a far more natural and speedier way of working. I'll let you know if I develop any bad pixels. None yet that I can see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right now, turn off the tablet and let the light reflect off of it and see if u got scratches right off the bat. please do it, so u wont be confused like me as to where u got them.

also dont move the slide with the rubber feet, they will rip out a bit, you have to raise the front of the stand and let the back stands with the little wheel things control the movement. This might seem obvious, but i didnt lift the front and move it on the wheel things first time i used it. If your doing it wrong u will get tons of friction on the rubber feet and feel it.

Il holla at wacom with the 1 800 number, maybe next time wer in NYC, we could do an exchange. I wouldnt dare tell my parents to spend about 19 hours for this tablet if wer not actualy heading there for a reason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used it 8 hours straight yesterday. no scratches at all at the moment. i did wear a cheap cotton glove straight off so that may of helped. It's inevitable I'll acquire some small scratches eventually. As long as the light's coming from behind they won't be noticeable. A totally different and positive digital painting experience. I'm very pleased.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are the Cintiq's capable of using the felt or the springy stroke nibs? Might help prevent surface scratches (then again it might not). I prefer the stroke nibs on my Intuos 3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just realized that I can actually use real life RULERS with the cintiq.
    FUCKING AWESOME

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi first to all, because a nwebie is posting here!

I have a Cinitiq (20 WSX) for serveral month and I really love it to work with, and it's seems to me that the most is mentioned, exclud of one observation.

Bevor working with the Cinitiq, I used a normal Wacom Inuos A4 (44 x34 cm), and after working all day long in the evening my eyes will be on fire and my neck feels like a stone. Now with the Cinitiq I have completely forgotten these problems, I can really work the double of time, but only with the half of tiredness. For me the Cintiq was a push in creativity and productivity.

To improve the performance of may Cinitq again, one day I grab for my chainsaw and do like this , this works just perfect:

And about the stroke discussion, I will really recommend to check out Gimp for sketching and painting, there is nothing to loose. The reaction and sensibility of the strokes is great, and the whole app. ist very cheerful and allows very speedy operating.

Here some examples, all very quick sketches, drawed with Cintiq in Gimp:

regards
    blacktoon

Last edited by blacktoon; May 25th, 2008 at 10:24 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.