Sketchbook: Petite's Sketchbook (Updated September 20th - Rainbows in my Green Tea!) - Page 7

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great job! I'm proud of you! I'm hoping to see more color pieces from you from here on out!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha oh god I love these woman!! The Self portrait and the last image are the signs of massive improvement.

Bayneh ou baynek....shoo hal sex!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Portraits? Where's mine? Nah...... kidding!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Hey petite :] stuff is looking good in here! i dig your motivation.. very inspiring .. i hope to see more works in here!

some crits... faces generally look better with less values... especially woman-faces :] squint your eyes to find out what values are working and which aren't.. values that will disappear or blend oddly when you squint are generally not necessary.. also take it easy with saturation unless thats the kind of cartoonish look you're going after... you can make your work look more controlled ( but still saturated/cartoonish etc ) by using greys or more desaturated colors. Its like with 'the grass is always greener on the other side' ... the green wont look greener if you have nothing to compare too.. ! so make sure you do... not sure if its what you're looking for tho'.. just sayin' =)

anyway...... keep it up ! looks good! i like the last portraits

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jumping along in your path to awesome-ness i see.

I think the portraits are doing you a lot of good. Keep at 'em! I want to see mooooorrrrre!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Shmaba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, did you do that last girl yourself? That's very very very very good. Haha, still the part where the nose joins the brow ridge is kinda off, narrower perhaps. But it's still pretty awesome.

The right guy on the first picture is cute. Lol~

• The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Death For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hiiii Petite!

I don't think I've visited your SB before! Just browsed through your latest pages and liked what I saw Your more cartoony style is just ridiculously charming and attractive looking. I hope you'll keep that up as well, but I obviously won't complain about the latest studies and more realistic pieces. The last one you did from Kei's video seemed like a real jump forwards! Grats, you're doing it! Keep pushing and making kickass pieces, you're rocking

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

• The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woo! many lovely answers I love you guys!

Slash - not this time but next update I promise!

Brashen - wa7ad metlak sex thank you for the compliment

alesoun - temporary one is in this post! but as soon as you post new pictures im at it agaaaain!

Dile_ - USeful and right on as ever, Dile_. you caught me red handed, everytime i use grey, my colors mud up like crazy, so i went for full on saturation on this! but no matter, I will give you more greys next! I totally get wt youre saying, I need to practice my color grasp a lot lot more...

Shmaba - yessir! here's another batch!

Aaron Death - hey dont doubt hehe yeah im amazed too, let's see if i can keep it up! and that little guy is a violent tiny Slash

AsaB - heeey Asa!! dont worry my heart will always belong to my wackily proportioned characters! thanks for stopping by ;-;

--------

So here's todays update! a batch of portraits since im practcing those after watching Zhanglu/Jason's video (buy it... you know you want to...) and all the new info is just bursting out of my ears, making me wanna draw and draw!

Alesoun: lotsa fixing needed, 2hours:

alesoun.jpg

Slash: needs moar wek! but also about 2 and a half hours

portrait3.jpg

chick from imagination, as prompted by Manley! need to make 9 more! somethign bothers me tho... I always seem to "nail" the attitude of a face in the sketchy phase, but as soon as i start rendering, I lose a LOT of it... can anyone help me understand why so I can fix it?
    here's the wip/final so you can see what I'm talking about:

portrait1.jpg portrait2.jpg

and at last, my progress on chow 158, the Green Fairy. As you can see, when i start with values, I just CANNOT apply color... this one needs heavy crit in many departments other than color, so anything you might say will be very helpful and much appreciated indeed!
    AbsintheFairy4.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mentioned that the attitude of the sketch gets lost in the render. I might be able to explain why. A lot of the attitude in the sketch is filled in by the mind, from the suggestions the sketch offers. What you can do to get this in the render is to use the same technique, letting some edges get lost, implying detail instead of actually showing it. This takes the render back to the sketchy quality of the mind filling in the blanks, and brings back some of the attitude. (at least i feel that way about the paintover)

You also need to stay true to the forms you've defined in the sketch, part of her attitude comes from the form of her upper eyelid (the one in light) you have the form pretty clearly defined in the sketch, but then you changed it in the render. Go back to the original form, and you'll find that some of the original attitude will come back.

When it comes to rendering, keep your light source and form in mind. Take care to light the forms that face the light, and put the ones facing away in shadow. Some areas have dramatic shifts in form, and will have more dramatic shadows. Like her eye and the cheek, the cheek is facing the light, but the lower eyelid is facing more away, this creates a more dramatic difference in shading, and by showing that you make the form convincing. Same with her lips, the upper ridge of the upper lip needs light, since its facing light. also the lower lip protudes into the light, creating a shadow under it. This creates a pretty dramatic shift in form and thus shading, since the lower lip is facing the lip, the underside of the lip is facing away from the light, and then the chin turns back to face the light again.

I didn't really change that much in the paintover, only obscured the definition of the eyes a little, and pushed some of the forms to where they belong in the light/shadow relationship. I also made a personal estethic change, since her jawline was very masculine. I rounded her jaw and narrowed it quite a bit, then defined the form of the chin some more by adding a stronger shadow in the dark and lightening up the part under the lip.

Oh, and i also made her lower lip a little smaller on one side (our left) since it looked a little like she had an underbite.

I hope this helps! I'm loving your dedication and progress, you're making me proud!!

Attached Images Attached Images

• The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was a very enjoyable 7 pages of a sketchbook thread. Lots of variety through original work and study that clearly shows great progress. You have just given me a kick, so thanks I will be coming back to this thread to see how your work evolves. Thanks for sharing.

D.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Twelve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello

your work looks wonderful but i wanna say a couple of things

i don't think that digital study from photo is good when you have some issues on traditional study, make sure you study in pencil or what you fell comfortable and leave the ps studies for later on

some things you should look at are symmetry, proportion, some line quality wont be bad and value as dile said keep your eyes almost closed and observe.

try to fill the gap because there is one between your personal work (which look awesome) and the studies and stuff which need a little more work

hope you are not sad don't wanna be rude not my intention but you don't learn from "nice work " or so on
    hope il make it to the workshop maybe we could talk about this things

bbye keep it up

• The Following User Says Thank You to m0uS3r For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hiii petiteeee sorry i havent commented even though you have commented multiple times in my SB im a horrible CA'er i knowww

anways, you've got great progress going on, your portraits from the zhanglu are looking nice especially Slash's

I'm not sure what is said in the tutorial youre using but perhaps you could try using mainly shades and blocks of color instead of making a line drawing first, make marking points on where eyes, nose, mouth and ears are which is mostly what i do when sketching

also i like the color palettes you have used when you take your work into that stage

keep posting!!! i will comment more often i promiseeeee

• The Following User Says Thank You to Troubadour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Post moar, plz, so that we may all oogle and comment moar, plz.

• The Following User Says Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Jessi! Please feed us moar!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slash - wow! thank you for the awesome intricate crit and pointers and paintover! I learned so much T_T it's not even funny! I'm gonna make another portrait from imagination in the same pose to apply what I learned ! raw!

Twelve - thanks for looking through please come again!

m0uS3r - very valid points raised! I just disagree with the "stay away from studies in PS" comment; a study is a study, no matter the media. Look at Davi, he barely touched traditional until recently. Look at Bumskee's apple painting class as well. Studies in PS are perfectly fine! but you are right about lineweight and other things you mentioned I should work on, I do, I just dont post them cuz scanning is a pain ;p

Troubadour - troubiii! took your advice on this next portrait and painted in shadow/light blobs instead of line... whaddya think?

JessiBean - Yes ma'am Jessi!

AsaB - your wish is my command

-

ok! so many useful comments! tried to incorporate stuff Jessi, Slash, Troubi and Dile critted me on in this next portrait (no ref). turned out an SP of sorts.
    facepractice01.jpg

detail:
    facedetail.jpg
    ps: the texture used is a tutu texture from: http://fantasystock.deviantart.com/ check it!

next this week's IDW ive been struggling stupidly on forever... It's supposed to be a toy goldfish vacuum cleaner for kids in an alternate communist China where women's indoctrination is fed to them from childhood "swipe shit up just like mommy! ". Right now, it sounds SO much better than it looks... help please?

goldfish vacuum.jpg

Next some sketches I did for Hive Media's upcoming zombie game. They published the concepts here: http://www.zombieexperiment.com/zombie/media/
    So I guess it's alright to show them ;p little zombies:
    zombies_kids.jpg

and a zombie geek eating brain icecream:
    zombie2.jpg

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
    BlackSmith Games has recently announced the game I've been a concept artist/level-gamedesigner/lead designer on for a while now on their website, please check it out! http://blacksmithgames.com/ there's a competition going on at our twitter account now where you can win itunes gift cards and lower the intro price of the game!
    Anyways since they went ahead and released some of the character designs I worked on, expect a next big dump of some of the art I've done for this project! I'm so excited!

Last edited by petitemistress; June 29th, 2009 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That vacuum cleaner...wai u not finished?!

It's a bit hard to crit it as is, since you spend more time on the girl than on the actual vacuum cleaner The SP and the zombie geek look awesome though.

• The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff girl ! Great improvment ! keep it up !

• The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    That vacuum cleaner...wai u not finished?!

It's a bit hard to crit it as is, since you spend more time on the girl than on the actual vacuum cleaner The SP and the zombie geek look awesome though.
    you're right ;-; I am shame-faced! ok, im gonna start from scratch with a grid and build the vacuum cleaner up from big shapes cuz thats easier in perspective! KA-BLAAH!!! >.</

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One super quick crit: make sure that irises are perfectly round and has the pupil smack dab in the middle.

A beautiful portrait! It comes more naturally for you now! I wanna see you wear those nibs on your new wacom like CRAZY!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some good stuff you got here, but you probably should spend more time doing studies from life or photo to progress faster. Keep it up

• The Following User Says Thank You to A tua me For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi - someday... I will finish an IDW! then after that... I'll finish an IDW in time for the poll!!!! >.</

Walid D - merci habibi!

Slash - yarr!!

A tua me - thanks for the advice As I have mentioned in my last art post (today) I do studies all the time. I just don't post them. How else would I be getting better?

but since no one seems to believe me, here's a study from photo. focused on rendering and skin color without eyedrop tool. I'll have to practice more
    ref here: http://yellow-stock.deviantart.com/a...tions-45683405
    polka dot texture credit: http://aeiryn.deviantart.com/art/vin...76?moodonly=24

facestudycolor.jpg

And now for the fun stuff, a logo I made for a polish online skateboard gear company; first the sketches/iterations:
    PORKYFACE_iterations_to_send.jpg

I'll upload the final as soon as I can find it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw! How cute X3
    Also like your greyscale portraits, keep it up!

Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

• The Following User Says Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, but those last two pigs are the best!

• The Following User Says Thank You to The_Flying_Dutchman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whee, you updated!

I just looove the zombie concepts! They're this perfect mix of adorable and creepy You seem to handle more comic-like concepts quite wonderfully, as is also apparent in the piggy logos, amazing stuff there.

Your SP is also very pleasant! I think you could've probably pushed the shadows some more, especially in the outer corners of the eyes, it's almost like they're not connected to the skin there, or floating. But you're well on your way and I think you've become much more confident in these portraits and drawing from ref in general.

I wish I could help you more with the IDW, but I'm a bit unsure of how, sorry Mechs are not my thing >_< But you said you'd start from scratch, so I hope to see some WIPs soon!

Keep rockin' it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AvisNocturna - thank you!!

The_Flying_Dutchman - so glad you like'em! thank you!

AsaB - oh shit I see exactly what you mean with the eyes, fail! haha, I was trying to follow Dile's advice and minimize value range on the face, and I guess I went batshit crazy with the concept -.-; No self-control. I has it. will do on the IDW update! for now I do have something special brewing in the girl forums hmhm

-
    found the Porkyface final! I like the sketches better, but this lil porky has his own thing going for him too, it seems!
    thanks to Pat (Hoax on the forums) for helping me choose a font! I suck at those :|

Porkyface_02.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaahhh, the CUTE! It's too much! Those big, puppy (er, piggy) eyes will surely hunt me in my dreeeeams!

With that out of my system, wonderful work! Really clean and pro linework. Oink!

Hm, you got something in the girlie forums? Meet you there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have GOT to show the bottom of that skateboard when you get it printed. I want to see how it applied

It's cool, not many people are good at vector and painting. I commend you for that

Grab those pencils and run with 'em You're on a path to awesome.

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That porky face looks awesome, good stylizing. Keep up the portraits, I think they're doing wonders for you.

And that vacuum cleaner! I would have loved to see that finished in time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Shmaba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I love the zombies. If it was the apocalypse, however, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them. No hard feelings I hope. Really good stuff, and I look forward to more!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Kerberos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pig's awwesome! Zombie kidz iz awwwesome! Post moarz!

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

Sketchbook Website Blog

• The Following User Says Thank You to MarkWinters For This Useful Post:

• Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2