Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I think this is an improvement in handling shading, over previous efforts. Careful leaving white as the color of your light source - theres a patch of white in her hair, greyish-white on the lips. Try using warmer (or cooler) versions of the color you want highlighted that are a bit brighter as well.

Oh - the glory of speed paints is that they are so....speedy. So post MOAR!!!

Good Drawing!

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

SketchbookWebsiteBlog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i like your drawings. i'm really diggin your sense of humor

Thanks
    Cool speedpaint.
    I have to agree with Mark about warmer tones! And dont be afraid to add bit darker tones. It seems quite "shallow".

Maybe to experiment with more dramatic lighting?

Keep up the good work!

~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks

Itsaaaa meeee, Marrriioooo!!

I like it.. and your designs are adorable. I'm still convinced you should come to NY and major with me. Try and get rid of the use of WHITE in your pallet. It makes everything flat and washed out.

Thanks
    Hi petitemistress,

Your character designs have a whimsical quality to them and are so fun to look at. I'd like to see more of these.

Good attempt at your friend's portrait. I agree with the others' comments about the whites flattening the image. Normally I reserve these only for the brightest highlights, such as a catch light in the eyes or on the tip of the ball of the nose.

In your portrait, I see that the eyes are fully white, but in nature this is rarely the case. There's usually a thin cast shadow being thrown onto the eyeball by the upper eyelid when lit from above, plus there's light fall off as the light races around the spherical form of the eye. In other words, the eyes are typically darker than what we would expect. Depending on the direction of the light and the shape of your sitter's eyes, sometimes the eyes can even approach black - and that's perfectly OK. Check out zhanglu's digital portraits for examples of what I'm talking about with regards to reserving your whites for highlights and the different ways shadows can fall on the eyeballs.

If you want to dig deep into portrait drawing, there's a really good book out there by William Maughan called The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head. It really changed how I see the world.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sfa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha , the Kittie zombie is just the bomb , good luck with your digital painting

Thanks
    sketcheth - thank you for the tip; more colors and saturation when painting flesh, thank you again for stopping by! ^^

chuck18mp - glad I could produce something to your liking ^^

Shmaba - I actually do that, I should do it more often... thank you for thetip, and I'm working on another facial study right now incorporating verything I've been told so far, will post soon!

MarkWinters - lose the white, got it! I'll keep that in mind, thank you Mark!

REAU - and I yours!

Blaz - alright, I'llbe sure not to avoid contrast from now on! thank you ^^

Murder Tramp - yep, it's you my little muse! I lovethat pic so much I could draw it 50 times and not get bored O_O no more white, got it again

sfa - Invaluable advice, thanks so much, Sfa! I'll be sure to look for that book and keep in mind everything you've said, thanks again! ^^

flamable - Thank you!!

Alright, since the vote on thegirls' TD is over, I can now post my piece. I think it's definitely an improvement over previous efforts, as it took longer than anything else. ever. but obviously it's still flawed; any advice would be good, as I'm gonna rework it for my portfolio, I'll start by removing the white out of the palette as many of you have said... Feel free to tear it apart

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 3047
Size:  197.1 KB

Thanks
    I can see improvement in the last piece. Digging the colors.

Crit would be that some edges and parts are too blurry. Try to avoid that.

~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks
    I like the wistful and melancholic mood in your Moon piece. Great job.

I would try to introduce more straights into the design, like for example, around the areas where bone should be close to the surface (cheek, forehead, shoulder, &c). Often too many curves in a piece make it look formless; you'll want to add some straights to give it a sense of structure and solidity. I get that feeling most from the horns on her head; I would like to see that in the rest of the character, especially the face.

Keep posting!

Thanks
    My first impression was that I liked it. Good approach & effective mood setting.

Here are a few suggestions to think about for next time:

The first bit of trouble is that the image is washed out, due to the use of white for lighting, especially on white antlers and whitish hair. If you convert the image to grayscale you can see a lot of info gets lost. A quick value study before getting started should help you see trouble areas ahead of time and desaturating your painting every once in a while as you go along will help as well. Try to maintain a full value range for a nice and dynamic image.

The eyes kinda creep me out a bit. You have a really strong shadow on the eyes. Often you'll find a highlight here instead of a shadow where tears pool. Google some eye close-ups and you'll often see it. The way you have it rendered kinda looks like the bottom eye lids are pulled away from the eye, casting a shadow.

Lastly, The bright white image in the background, framing the face might be better served on the opposite side of her head. The face is lit from our left and would pop better if the background was a little darker, and the right side of her would pop if there was some light in the background. The way it is now her face gets lost, lending to that washed-out look.

Sorry to blather, but you seemed to have spent some time on this so I wanted to spend some extra time on my comment!

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

SketchbookWebsiteBlog

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkWinters For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I'm in your sketchbook, making comments. I already gave you a pointer or two on msn, so i'll just say this:

Potatoes.

Thanks

Thanks
    holy hell! this is rad as hell. Please post the game when it's finished

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1