Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I Am An Art Critic

Thanks

I Am An Art Critic

I am not an artist, although I often call myself an artist-writer. Are you happy to have an art critic at your site, a critic who does not post art, but makes the occasional comment on the work of others and on art in general?-Ron Price, Australia.
    married for 48 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 16, and a Baha'i for 56(in 2015).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    You'll have to make some critiques first, then we'll see if we like your attitude.

Thanks
    In other words: it's not what you are, it's how you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    Thanked 11,356 Times in 2,877 Posts
    this post is better suited for the lounge. please be aware of where you are posting. each section is for a certain topic. as long as you are helping others, you are most welcome to join us here.

Thanks
    It might be better for you to start posting on other people's work, rather than posting threads about yourself or your own issues. You may not get a response because the issues you're interested in may not be the one's we're interested in. Post your thoughts in some existing threads, give some advice on people's work, and go from there.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChaoticKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post
    I am not an artist, although I often call myself an artist-writer. Are you happy to have an art critic at your site, a critic who does not post art, but makes the occasional comment on the work of others and on art in general?-Ron Price, Australia.
    We generally frown on critics who are just present to praise or put down art. If you're going to critique a piece and give specific reasons why and where a piece is failing and how it can be fixed.. then we'll love yuh.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    I tend to respect the opinions of critics who can actually create art, not just talk about it. I honestly believe you cant really KNOW a subject until you actually experience what its like to be in the shoes of the person you're critiquing.

Its like talking about cars but never taking the time to get your hands dirty to rebuild an engine.

Thats the difference between knowledge and APPLIED knowledge. Anyone can read a book, study about a subject, and recite what they've read. Its another thing to create something tangible with that knowledge. It just holds more validity that way and I'm more willing to respect the opinion of someone who has actually taken the time to do exactly that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mecha Hate Chimp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I find that non-artist critiques can be very helpful. Crits on art from artists are very different than from non-artists. I couldn't write a novel but can identify sloppy plotting and poor dialog. I have friends of mine who love good art, are articulate and can point out issues with pieces I tend to overlook because I'm so busy rendering stuff - 'That hoof looks wrong', 'her eyes aren't looking in the same direction', 'exactly why is she standing in the snow wearing a metal bikini?' Just because you're not an artist doesn't mean you can't see something critically. That's just in my experience.
    "It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

SketchbookWebsiteBlog

12. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MarkWinters For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    I'm not a proponent of the notion that participation is a prerequisite for commentary, (but neither do I want to be the exponent of 20-page-debate so I'll leave it at that).

I'll just say welcome to CA and you are, for my penny's worth, more than welcome to give your input here - thank you for offering to help freely . Hope you enjoy it here!
    Brendan Noeth

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkWinters View Post
    I find that non-artist critiques can be very helpful. Crits on art from artists are very different than from non-artists. I couldn't write a novel but can identify sloppy plotting and poor dialog. I have friends of mine who love good art, are articulate and can point out issues with pieces I tend to overlook because I'm so busy rendering stuff - 'That hoof looks wrong', 'her eyes aren't looking in the same direction', 'exactly why is she standing in the snow wearing a metal bikini?' Just because you're not an artist doesn't mean you can't see something critically. That's just in my experience.
    Yes, but that only goes so far.

Anyone can point out shortcomings... thats easy. But ask them how theyd go about fixing them. Could they tell you in depth how to do so in the same way an artist could?

Like I said... you're more likely to get a better critique from some one who walks the walk as opposed to simply just talking the talk.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mecha Hate Chimp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    this post is better suited for the lounge. please be aware of where you are posting. each section is for a certain topic. as long as you are helping others, you are most welcome to join us here.
    While completely off topic.... Jason manley your avatar is possibly the most awesomest ever.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mecha Hate Chimp View Post
    I tend to respect the opinions of critics who can actually create art, not just talk about it. I honestly believe you cant really KNOW a subject until you actually experience what its like to be in the shoes of the person you're critiquing.

Its like talking about cars but never taking the time to get your hands dirty to rebuild an engine.

Thats the difference between knowledge and APPLIED knowledge. Anyone can read a book, study about a subject, and recite what they've read. Its another thing to create something tangible with that knowledge. It just holds more validity that way and I'm more willing to respect the opinion of someone who has actually taken the time to do exactly that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mecha Hate Chimp
    Yes, but that only goes so far.

Anyone can point out shortcomings... thats easy. But ask them how theyd go about fixing them. Could they tell you in depth how to do so in the same way an artist could?

Like I said... you're more likely to get a better critique from some one who walks the walk as opposed to simply just talking the talk.
    I have to disagree here. I've always been convinced that everyone can point out mistakes that the creator himself wouldn't have thought about. And basically, seeing the mistake is the bigger problem than solving it. I'd even go as far as to say that critique from an unexperienced person can be more helpful because they are completely unbiased concerning techniques, they just see what's wrong. Of course having someone who's telling you how to solve it is a must when you want to learn it, or at least makes the progress easier.

Also, bad critique from someone unexperienced is practically non-existent. If they think it's wrong, they'll tell you and they are probably right. If there's nothing to point out, it will mostly go with a "Well, I don't know..." indicating that there's nothing wrong that would be seen by an everyday person. Professionals or people in league with you would probably overdo their crits and will make you improve something to death. my 2c.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    I have to disagree here. I've always been convinced that everyone can point out mistakes that the creator himself wouldn't have thought about...
    Of course anybody can point out that something looks wrong. But can they tell you why? Do the understand what it is that makes this thing "wrong"? An amateur might tell you that the "view looks warped and wonky", but someone with experience can tell you about how the vanishing points aren't lined up correctly.

As for Mr. RonPrince, I don't really care. If he can give insightful critiques, that's great. In my spare time I might muse about how a goose might lay a golden egg but if I actually get my hands on such a goose I don't ask questions, I just collect the eggs.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast