Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

BPM's daily doodles

Hey all. Slowly getting settled into the community and I thought starting up a sketchbook would be a good first step.

May 06
    Last edited by BrennanPM; October 8th, 2008 at 12:00 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,969 Posts
    First of all welcome to Conceptart.org. I am sure a lot of artists will help you here.
    About your images i have to tell that i like the colors, specially in the first one.
    I think the black eyes in the second one(i mean the way they are drawn with just simple black line) dont match the general painting style of the second painting. Anyway thats just my opinion.
    Show us more
    keep them up!!!

Thanks
    A robot from last week and environment I did tonight.

I'm probably going to start doing lots of those environment studies. I want to focus on colors mainly in the beginning. My goal is to identify not just how something looks but why it looks that way. That way I'm studying rather than just referencing an image.

That one took 40 mins, but I think I'd like to chop that down to 30 minutes with more emphasis on the study rather than drawing.

Some points of interest in tonights environment was the subtle reflections of the orange cloud and darker bluff in the water. As well the wet sand was remarkably dark and I'll have to remember to look into that.

Thanks
    I like the forms you use but it seems like you waver between too little definition (first post) and cartooniness (robot, which is still quite badass). Your colors are nice.
    HELP ME!
    MY SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Very nice start, and welcome!
    The latest study of environment looks great, and those details do interest me. It reminds me that I should pay attention on what my study of photos for. Other digital painting are fluid too. Looking forward to see more.
    It should always be bore in one's mind that he must be responsible for his life........

Welcome to My !!!!!

Thanks
    Have been painting a bit for the work project so just the daily studio speedpaint. The subject today was spaceships.

As the beetle look emerged I noticed that the shape was reading oddly and made that adjustment in the second stage. Looking back I think the original design was more interesting. If I were to do a version 2, the first thing I would do is integrate that vertical segment properly. The lighting setup ended up muddled and I need to work on locking down the exact rig and doing a strong lighting pass that I commit to.

Thanks
    First sketch out of my head. Yes I sold out and decided to try some custom brushed. I must say it's pretty shocking how easy it is to slap down a convincing amount of noise.

The second is just a cool reference of a canyon I had in my folder.

Thanks
    I forgot my environment at work, so just some color/portrait studies I did tonight.

I've been flipping through Robogabo's sketchbook and he's really got me inspired to do these fast ones. I'm finding it really liberating to just pick something to be objective about as it takes the stress off all the other areas that you're normally sweating over. I recently pulled out of a huge creative drought which I think was largely caused by this stress. Trying to attack every little thing in every painting you do makes booting up that fresh canvas so daunting. A big thanks to all of you for reminding me how exciting this is and should be.

Thanks
    Just a one hour reference study.
    Last edited by brennan; May 10th, 2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: upload error

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    cool colors and i also like your painting strokes. keep it up!

Thanks
    I love the design of the blue deep sea diving suit (?) thingie, and your faces are superb.
    "You have a taste for drawing - I trust it will improve." - Melmoth, The Wanderer

Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    You how alot of nice work here...i love the forth one from the bottom amazing work so far

Thanks
    40 minutes. ref'd.
    This one really would have benefited from an initial sketch to nail down the masses.
    Last edited by brennan; May 10th, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks
    Wonderful stuff here!
    Really caught my eye!

Chris
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    @ kingkostas Yeah that's a good point man. I noticed that once I got home. A definite problem with painting so fast is that you make some of those glaring mistakes.

@ Wilbur Thanks for pointing out one of the areas I really need to improve on. It is so important to have that balance of clear shapes and higher frequency detail to sell your designs.

@ UnSharpened Thanks man, I'll do my best to keep up the pace. It helps when you have people motivating you. I appreciate it.

---------------

Some more deep sea diving suit ideas. Also developing that idea from the first post of the large central mass with stubby hamster limbs.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast