Some 8-legged Compositional Help?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some 8-legged Compositional Help?

Hey guys, I'm trying to put characters in environments more and get better with composition - with that said, could anyone share some thoughts on this WIP? I wanna say it's about 75% done before I move on to the texture phase but I want my shapes to be strong and effective before polishing.

A quick note: because it is part of a series, the canvas size is fixed, so I can't lengthen or widen it. I think it's better to work within constraints like that anyway

Thanks for looking!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personaly its frightining to give critt to such a good artist as you . But i think the mountain in the background has a to high value compare to the sand in the foreground, which means you loose alot of depth in the image, and it gets a bit flat due to that.

Gundersendesign
    My Sketchbook page [B]1 2
    Mentoring my Padawans
    Conceptart.org Gallery

- :: Bring Me That Horizon :: -
    Live the life you love, love the life you live

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Steph! That's real cute.

As for shapes:

The right-most overlapping tentacle doesn't read immediately. It looks almost like a core shadow on it's head until you notice the top bit. Every other tentacle you have little suckers on - maybe adding a couple will make it stand out more readily? Also - the tentacle that is coming up past his face on the right side (the one the same colour as his head)... just personal opinion, but maybe it's a little too close? give just a little more negative space between them?

Otherwise, looks like it's coming along nicely.

Hope you're well~ < 3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i second Gundersen on the "oh noes I can't crit Steph" fear ;-;, but looking at it, the standalone purple of the sand dune on the right is bothersome... also, I loved that she's stepping on his tentacle xD but I didn't notice it until i read Daestwen's crit about it, maybe that's not too good?

...and if one tentacle is that long... aren't the others a bit too short in comparison? ._.; alrite now I'm just nitpicking I wanna see this done plz!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dudes, there are glaring weaknesses in my work just like everyone else on the boards, please don't ever be afraid to point them out! Srsly.

Gundersen: Good call on the mountain, one of my goals is to get some depth with this piece and I think you're right, it could be lightened up and receded even more. Thank you for pointing it out!

daestwen: I see what you mean about that tentacle misreading as a shadow. I will futz with the values but I also was planning on handling most of the shadows in this piece with a chalk brush in Photoshop - hopefully that will help to clarify it even more. I will also give a little more care to the other tentacle you mentioned and thanks for your concern about me; I am doing better than I was a month ago and I've got some new direction for work and otherwise. *hugs*

petitemistress: I think the fact that you couldn't tell she was stepping on a tentacle right away is sort of what I was going for - you don't quite realize her predicament, kinda like how she's oblivious to it too. I think you're spot on about the other tentacles needing to be a little longer to reflect that one she's stepping on, I might try making the tips of the distant tentacles more curly-queued and overlapping on themselves to get more mileage out of the limited space I have. Thank you so much for offering the feedback!

I will post an update as soon as I can - if anyone else wants to chime in I would be stoked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Steph, I think it is the perspective, he seems very far away from her because of the left mountain thus making the testicle look very long compared to where he is in the back. Your so cute!! Kelly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly x View Post
    ...thus making the testicle look very long compared to where he is in the back...
    ...you meant "tentacle," right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    ...you meant "tentacle," right?
    HAHAHA! this is the stuff Sigs are made of xDD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The tentacle furthest back is very very light, much lighter than the sky. Given the color of the octopus as defined by his head, I don't see how the tentacle could get that color due to atmospheric perspective. As it goes back it should get closer to the color of the atmosphere (sky), not just get lighter.

I made a greyscale version of your image. I think if you made the octopus darker to begin with (he's already very close to the value of the sky) you'd have more room to get the effect you are looking for without lightening that far tentacle so much.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Oopsie Sigmund shrink day or what! But knowing Steph -- Perfect slip up!! Any how it's all about perspective in all forms areas of live I guess huh??? But pretty funny typo! Kelly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i find the sea spray a bit distracting because it isn't as paper-cutoutish as the rest of the peice. i suggest making it a bit more bubbly or something. ;o

Members who have read this thread: 1