Temherte Slaq

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Temherte Slaq

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Temherte Slaq

Written language is rather inadequate for certain endeavors. For example: Sarcasm.

Sure with the right context one can determine whether or not a statement is sarcastic. This would be perhaps in the form of a rather grounded and coherent paragraph ended with an incredulous statement. Or just a completely absurd statement no matter the context.

I however, as a frequently sarcastic individual, don't wish my sarcasm to be weighted down by either a lengthly backstory nor a hamfisted ridiculousness. So what is one to do?

In the Ethiopian language there is a symbol known as the "Sarcasm Mark" or "Temherte Slaq". This unfortunately, bears a strong resemblance to an upside down exclamation point. And since I don't wish to be mistaken for an over-enthusiastic Spaniard (or Mexican, as the case may be in California), that option is right out.

But wait? What is this? In a wikipedia entry it is stated that were there a "sarcasm mark" in English it would bear a certain resemblance to the French "Irony Mark".

And what do you know, that very irony mark bears a rather strong resemblance to a certain Arabic character (e.g. "؟") and happens to have fallen into disuse. So not only can I appropriate this mark for sarcasm, but ironically this ironic mark is being used for a purpose other than irony (oh irony, how I love thee).

So from henceforth, in a stroke of swerved genius (swerve incidentally, is that sweet spot between "buzzed" and "drunk"), I have stolen this symbol for use as a sarcasm indicator and have included a small link in my signature.

Since I've wasted your time reading this story about my (less than) ingenious appropriation of an undefined mark, I figured I might ask...

What additional kinds of punctuation is the English language in dire need of?

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What a great way to show sarcasm online؟

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work more on art, less on your signature. Its already about half your post, and your post isn't small.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    What a great way to show sarcasm online؟
    I thought so؟

Quote Originally Posted by wassermelone View Post
    Work more on art, less on your signature. Its already about half your post, and your post isn't small.
    Point taken. Though there is a certain irony in taking time to tell someone in the Lounge to stop wasting time.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anid Maro View Post
    Point taken. Though there is a certain irony in taking time to tell someone in the Lounge to stop wasting time.
    Indeed.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.