Sketchbook: Sketchbook 2011-!!!2011 HERE we go (page 91 COLOSSAL UPDATE) :) ---> - Page 112
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 112 of 134 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 4014
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just like the epic updates i used to

your drawing are indeed full of energy (damn, it's contagious !)

i will talk about the first armored guy:

it depends on taste: his belly and hip seems big and rounded and it's not the usual manly proportions. i know you're looking for original design and it's good, just be careful.

the blur effect (non defined edges) you paint in some area is a bit overused no ?

i'm curious about your color blending technique when it come to warm/cold , Light/shadow , do you just lay some color with low opacity or blend outside the canvas (the painting) then use it.

keep up, you're an inspiration

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 577 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So good mate! Great experiments and sketches man.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fetsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just dropping in to say i love ur work its great, the tiger pic is beautiful the composition is addictive . The guy in the armour looks like he was out of icewind dale its great the warm light really works.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Siphonophores For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fucking nice stuff!The orange knight is one of your best pics man!I really enjoy your tutorials and progress pics.Poli oraia pragmatic re c, en8ousiazomai opote vlepw kati neo, exeis veltiw8ei apisteyta.Psisto gia kana collaboration

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameli For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    GOD DAMN! ! !

last batch is fuckin NOICE!!!! your studying is definately paying off big time dude. your lighting and use of colors is envious to say the least! friggin awesome.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AWEEEESOME, thanks for continuing to share your thought process's its fantastic to see everything, also this environment!
    Name:  environment art.jpeg
Views: 1210
Size:  179.8 KB
    frigen love it reminds me of hellboy.

“The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” Albert Einstein
    CLICK ME!!! My "Baby Soft" NEW SKETCHBOOK
    MAYBE ME? My "Humble Beginnings"
    Facebook & Google+ Friends? Yeah you want to be friends
    Email: mail@jeremyswann.com
    Blog: www.jeremyswann.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremy Swan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is amazing, nothing to say constructively from my end. I love the way you use shadows and edge transitions to give a highly rendered effect to even your more loose works. You, sir, are definitely on your way to some concept art greatness in the future. At least, that's how I see it. It's a privilege to have someone of your caliber drop my humble sketchbook.

Sketchbooks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    p sage-heheheeh thank you very much mate!!!Hey how did i take that close to finish hehehe. Everyday i find out that thumbnail is the most important step. Be great at thumbnails and you will be able to work on a relaxed state and letting the creativity flowing [anyway thats what i aim to do, still have some way to go ehheehhe] .Man lets, keep up
    Aryeh-Thankieesss very much mate !!! Hope you will find something interesting in this sb's journey
    Lakka-Yoo mate, thanks very much!!!. Well the foreground figure was giving me trouble since the beggining [maybe i should have placed the viewer at his position instead]I am really bored to continue it now. But i surely learned something from doing it.Maybe sometime i will work on it more.
    Matt-Radway-Heheh thanks mate . Glad you like it
    Jamie Romoser-Yo jamie!!! Thank you mate. Definitely try to work more on thumbnails, lets both keep up
    Kungfoowiz-Edward!!!whats up mate? Thank you very much. Well i already answered in your sb but maybe i should also say it here. For me it depends on the situation. You can start by having a detailed drawing as a base[full scene drawing] and follow some paths[1-place it on a grey canvas, add basic shadows[maybe you can think of rendering something like ambient occlusion, fast, and with some smooth brush]add lights , and maybe add your local values[for example "black armor", that will help you, because by defining it, it will let you compose better, you will know that next to black there will be something lighter[[read loomis again and again]]. Anyway i am losing it with so much text lol. For quick sillouete, or sketch with ready light areas, i leave the canvas white, to use it as lights and highlights.
    zou-Hello comrade , thank you very much!!!Your points are right. Now that i see his belly i understand.I have to take the rust off my anatomy soon. Well when i work from greyscale to color, i try usually one of these modes [ overlay,multiply,soft light ] to put down some basic ambient or some locals maybe. From there i could add another overlay layer to add some more strong light in the light areas [if i want it to be warm i choose a warm color]. If i have warm things infront, i try to cool down the elements in the background. Also playing with the complementary of the foreground/background. If i dont go from greyscale to color, then while having the linework there[to be marking areas] i paint down the local colors, usually by multiply layer, and from there again placing basic shadows, lights etc [but not by mixing with black for the shadows and white for lights[ok you need them but not only black and white], color doesnt work like that] .In the end, try to find something that enables you to express the concept as good as possible, but make sure everytime that even if you had to render a dust with bunny ears, that way could help you achieve this [ your workflow should remain flexible, always]. sorry for my english[probably the first thing they will tell me in a interview hehehe "go learn some english and come back"]
    Fetsch-Man thank you very much!!! Your work lately is very hot!!!!keep sharing
    Care-Hello mate , love your username. Man thanks for encouraging, icewinddale and its illustrations was a great inspiration for me, really glad to hear that [btw cant wait for project eternity]
    Cameli-Yooooooooooooo where are you man!!! Ela re , ase auta gia mena, esu exeis parei fwtia re. I am in for a collab although i may ruin it, but it will be fun
    NickyBeats-Thank you very very much mate !!! Glad you can see that its paying off.
    Jeremy Swan-Jeremy thank you very much man!!!I was experimenting with that one, did the main gate, then duplicated it it and flipped it vertically blablabla.Lets keep up
    Vritra-Awww man, really thanks for encouraging!!!No privilege and stuff, i should thank you for visiting. We all have to keep up trying for what we want. Fortunately i find CA as a lovely online home [inn, in case you are a D&D fan hahahaa] that i can share my works and see my progress, get some feedback, watch other peoples works and passions, relax by watching that you are not alone etc etc. Yep sometimes what you said happens but at least even by watching the thoughts and art journeys of the others here,it helps and it boosts to keep up. It is inspiring that you are working hard for your own passion, and thanks for sharing these thoughts

Hmmm lots of unorganized text up there, and now a somehow crappy update [so, i am sorry about that ]
    I wouldnt update today but i dont want to let my sb starve, especially now that i finished army and i am back
    Ok well, good thing is i am understanding the problems in my works and i am working toward them. Bad thing i am not doing that much finished work [well actually for the client stuff i am not that rough].
    For me its important to be able to draw and paint on a relaxed state.Thats why i give importance to speed.I have to solve technical stuff really fast, and enjoy doing design variations etc. And thumbnails really come to this point.
    Anyway here some stuff. Thank you very much for the continuous support and, LETS ALL KEEP UP!!!!not for the works sake, but for our dreams

[btw took part in the selfportrait- flash light of the camera destroyed the shadows, but at least it was a good color practice]

Attached Images Attached Images                              

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    More good work in this update, mate. Some good color practices and thumbnails of course... and a good brave work on the SP

Quote Originally Posted by kingkostas View Post
    I have to solve technical stuff really fast, and enjoy doing design variations etc. And thumbnails really come to this point.
    That is really smart... to solve the technical stuff in a drawing and then once the problem is solved, you can relax and draw in auto mode. If thumbnails are the answer, mate, then I must learn your secrets and do them too

LETS ALL KEEP UP!!!!not for the works sake, but for our dreams
    Perfect!

Thank you for the works and the notes Kostas!!!

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

18. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratz on finishing with the army seems hands are bring you down, don't be to hard on yourself . Keep chasing those dreams sir!

“The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” Albert Einstein
    CLICK ME!!! My "Baby Soft" NEW SKETCHBOOK
    MAYBE ME? My "Humble Beginnings"
    Facebook & Google+ Friends? Yeah you want to be friends
    Email: mail@jeremyswann.com
    Blog: www.jeremyswann.com

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremy Swan For This Useful Post:

Where bears with balalaykas are on the Red Square
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maaan.. Apart from your productivity and dedication I like, that you have that defined style. Just unique. Kostas - you're the man. What's you up recently?

Last edited by Seraph Fawkes; November 16th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph Fawkes For This Useful Post:

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, quite the mountain of work you've built up since my last visit!
    That illustration with the tigers is stunning, please upload a higher res version when you finish!!

As always, keep up the great work mate!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MacTire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the new updates man, especially the rough and raw stuff. Very insightful!

ART. MORE. NOW.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Pryminista For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Your sketchbook is so inspirational. Thank you for the tutorials too. I love how you show some of your process and notes on your sketches. Helps us noobs get a peek into your thought process.

Looking for a mentor
    If you have a moment I would love any tips or critiques that might help me improve my work.

My sketchbook (please leave a critique)

SSG Group
    twilightmoon777
    Streben

28. The Following User Says Thank You to phatbuddha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage-Thank you very much mate !! Lets keep up
    Jeremy Swan-Thanks for encouraging mate, i am still on a strange period.
    Seraph Fawkes-Kirill thank you very much mate . Well i am mostly working for hyacinthgames on wreck-age and working hard to improve in overall so that i can apply for a concept artist position in uk. On the side, i am doing some concepts for dead man zand. Lol social life 0 right now. Thanks again for encouraging mate !! lets keep up
    MacTire-yo conor thanks very much mate !!Well , i am not sure if i will go back to that piece but i will upload a higher res
    Mr.Pryminista-Thakniees mate , glad you like these.
    phatbuddha-Thank you mate, i am glad you find these helpful. lets keep up and improve!!!

Ok sorry for being absent these days. Well i am trying really hard to improve because each day i am angry with myself and my skills. It kinda makes me anxious because i realised in how much i lack and i dont want to fail at working in the industry.Also i kinda understand why i cant finish a piece. My goal is firstly to be a concept artist, and then to be an illustrator. In the previous pages i can see how i concentrated on planning a scene with compo etc and thats an illustration workflow. To shorten it up, it means i was doing something like, concept art in illustration workflow and the opposite. Of course in the end the answer is just a word, "balance". This training really takes me to a unified improvement on both illustration and concept but its slower than getting it separately. Dunno how i will approach now, but of course my main goal will be, to be able to express ideas quickly and on a good finish level.
    Anatomy... i am having serious troubles so i am working on it to fix it.
    Also i started a random personal project for concept training. Why random? random because i dont want to be doing things i love or have a personal interest etc.
    I used this adventure generator http://marnok.com/content/_adventure/adventure.php . It gave me something about espionage etc etc, thats good, i dont have a special interest in assasins, spies etc, its being a good training for me.
    what else what else... hmmm
    Also i am studying on the side with zou and other guys doing some exercises.
    Ok thats for now, if i come up with something i forgot, i will edit and post

Thanks very much for the continuous support!!!! LETS ALL KEEP UP !!!

Last edited by kingkostas; November 15th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ummm just stop please. Getting too good.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Where bears with balalaykas are on the Red Square
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I'll see some familiar art from a brit game then I'll say "Kostas detected!" I believe you're gonna make it. And as for social life level 0 - know that feeling. I've moved from Moscow to St.Petersburg for a good job, so I could buff up my resume, experience and skill, but it costed me a 4.5 years of relationship. But I feel and believe, that it's worth it anyway.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph Fawkes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi king

so much work as always

the character design work is great (the value shape thumbs are awesome !)

seems you had fun with the expressions xD

the pose of the last rendered man is so feminine .perhaps you did it on purpose or you wanted to get to the rendering very fast

did u decided to always do black and white then add color later ?

coz i read many times , you better go alla prima to have batter colors

good luck with your good work

36. The Following User Says Thank You to zou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the reply man, I appreciate your time to explain understanding =)

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so finished looking thorugh this amazing sb and i got 1 thing to say HOLY BEJEEZUS! completely groundbreaking progress and analisis, ive learned sooooooooooooooo much by looking through your work, what you do is amazing and please keep it up im subscribed already! hahahaha seriously wish you the best be well and healthy and keep on doing your thing!

PS: i hope you dont mind i drew some of your studies and poses some are just SOOOO interesting i had to find out the workings taking place!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HunterKiller_-hahaha thanks very much for encouraging mate !!!
    Seraph Fawkes-Yo kirill thanks mate!!!thnx for encouraging, well thats true since its what we love. lets keep up man!!!
    zou-Mate thanks very much . Hehehe yep you got it, i wanted to start rendering fast so it got me in the end.Nope havent decided anything. The thing is what i try to do. Drawing seems to be the most important, since it can define clear ideas etc, and thats important cause i should care more about design than illustration. Now since i have done a linework, i could go with direct color [i was doing that in previous methods[on the pages before i went to army] and it would result in better colors, but i decided i wanted to play with the light and see how the forms are reading. You would say "but colors are values man" ok thats true but maybe it would slow me trying to manage both color and value at the same time. But of course the main goal is to work directly with color, i just need to make more training on it to make it faster. I remember before going to army, i had found something great about colors that made say to myself back then "damn its easier to paint values with color rather than shades of grey", and i can see how happy i was at these posts. Unfortunately it seems after army i dont remember something vital to reproduce the approach at its full potential. Anyway will try harder !!!
    Kungfoowiz-Thank you very much edward !!no problem mate.
    lionheartGFX-Thank you very much for encouraging mate!!! thanks for subscribing . No problem man, i am happy you can find something useful , lets both keep up!!!

Hello mates, thanks for supporting!!!
    Here did some stuff

EDIT:forgot to uppload the high res tiger wip

Last edited by kingkostas; November 18th, 2012 at 05:39 AM.

42. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    incredible idea generation. fearless, loving your work, hard to crit really, couldnt find any faults. keep it up keep progressing.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Siphonophores For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! I see you have a good understanding of value, thats great and i like your style! You feel B&W images helped you in the way you paint?
    Keep up the good work and looking forward for more stuff!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to llex_paul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Εντυπωσιακες δουλειες Κωστα αλλα ακομα πιο εντυπωσιακη ειναι η αφοσιωση σου!Συνεχισε ετσι!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyaloclastics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Care-Thank you very much mate !!!
    llex_paul-Hello mate , thanks very much. Well greyscale values are really important. Actually they are a definition of form.A good value structure will never dissapoint.The goal is to reach an exeptional handle of value with color directly. To sum up, yep it is helpful.
    Hyaloclastics-Ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ . Συνέχιζε να ανεβάζεις και εσύ γιατι έχεις πολύ ωραία designs.

Once again, thanks very much for supporting
    I downloaded a programm [microsoft expression encoder v4 sp2] and i recorder something.
    Lets all keep up

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, that environment on post #3352 reminds me of David Levy's work on Two Thrones. Especially this piece: http://www.vyle-art.com/projects/pop...740_well_A.JPG

Fantastic work, nothing but respect from me.

Sketchbooks

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gotdamn! your stuff is amazing! shapes, values and compositions are flawless! *subbed*

Available for freelance work & personal commissions!

Prints, phone cases and skins of my artwork available at my Society6 shop: http://society6.com/NathalieZiegler

FB: https://www.facebook.com/MtrDlrsBttst

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Natzetta For This Useful Post:

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh these are just sooo good! Thanks for the high res on the tiger piece, even more stunning than I expected.

That metal texture in the last piece is superb too. Aah soo much to learn from your work! Thanks for sharing!!

56. The Following User Says Thank You to MacTire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooostaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

I swear I am not ignoring you. Ok I guess technically I am but not just to be a dick I
    just have been ridiculously busy getting ready to move to California and I felt embarrassed
    not to give an adequate reply to your comments on my thread.

First I just want to remind you how much of an inspiration you are to the rest of us, man.
    So much positive energy and dedication!

I was going to reply to your post on October 12th but I see that
    you already are on exactly the right track.

On your concerns about skills:

Speed: I think so long as you are not *wasting* time your speed should be fine.
    So if you have a good workflow, keep moving, don't make problems that you have to go
    back and fix, should be good. Zou's comments on this sound about right, Of course diff-
    erent types of design will be different...the more 'filler' type assets have to be cranked
    out, where as main characters should be given more time to refine.

Anatomy: Your anatomy is looking pretty damn good actually. Very solid and dim-
    ensional but still fluid and organic. None of the kind of rubbery 'boneless' feeling that some
    of your older stuff had. If you have a few bad figures here and there I bet its because you
    are rushing. As always, take your time, relax, and listen to your instincts.

on analyzing figures for rhythm and flow: what you are really looking for is the
    total aesthetic energy of the pose. Try to reduce it to one two, or three simple
    lines, maybe some shapes. Also definitely be a student of body language. Subtle
    tweaks of a pose go a long way to expressing a character's personality.

On building an image from drawing to color and value: As a concept designer just try
    to remember that you need to be flexible at each stage. Never know when your crea-
    tive director is going to be like 'you know all those guys in black armor we just designed?
    can we actually make them all wearing white armor, instead?'

I think my main advice to you at the moment, is just to emphasize that while some skills
    are universal the process and the mindset of concept design and illustration are utterly
    different. I think your grasp of the illustration process is already pro grade. You really
    don't need to develop it very much at this point. I would focus on your concept design
    process.

You aren't creating a final experience, you are creating ideas that you need to communicate
    to a production artist. Also you are designing in the context of a wider virtual world. So there needs
    to be coherence, and your work needs to fit into its specific place and role in that virtual world.

Things are especially different when you are talking about games, vs movies or animation be-
    cause of the interactive element. The game asset needs to communicate a whole set of things
    to the audience like "is this friend or foe?" "what can it do?" "what can I do to / with it?".

Again I think what you are working on is right on track, just focus on design and workflow,
    keep broadening your subject matter (especially mechanicals and *smaller* interiors).

Last edited by BludHund; November 20th, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
    sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

58. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dude nice work on the tiger piece. Like how you said 'eternal wip' =)

60. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 398