IDW #69: Happiness Dispenser - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tsujni

11 31.43%
  • Nightblue

11 31.43%
  • IcyM

13 37.14%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #69: Happiness Dispenser - Voting

IDW #69 Topic: Happiness Dispenser

Deadline for voting: Monday, May 12

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #69: Happiness Dispenser

Last edited by yoitisi; May 5th, 2008 at 07:32 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: Tsujni

Name:  idw-69-tsujni.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  354.6 KB

Artist: Nightblue

Name:  Night blueIDW69_pv2.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  255.0 KB

Joynole 3500
    Forget about the 18 hour work day, the lackluster economy, and the sky-rocketing bio fuel price! Step in the Salon of Joy. Sit down, close your eyes, feel the world shrink around you into a much more comforting size. Our harmless brain stimulator mask will bring you the best and only happiness you'll feel in this world

Artist: IcyM

Name:  IcyM idw69_happinessDispenserFINAL.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  472.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some additional notes on this round:

Once again, not a huge outcome in the amount of entries this time. However, quality-wise this round turned out some pretty nice entries, so all in all I"m not totally unhappy with this round .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for ICYM. Of all three, that's to me the one that looks the happiest, and it would be the one I would approach to get my much needed dose...
    Crits:

Tsujni: I wish the "workings" of the machine were a little clearer even if they are "make-believe". I love the interface with the palm, simple and intuitive. I wish the tree was a little more incorporated into the mechanism.

Nightblue: It's a nice render but nothing about the design insinuates "happy" to me. I am actually a little scared of it, reminds me of something at the dentist.

ICYM: You got my vote for the reasons I stated, but I won't let you off the hook so easy. There are definite perspective issues, and the design could be streamlined a little more. Some of the lines could be more graceful, especially in the decorative portions. With more time, maybe you can sharpen it up a little more, but I love the colors and the "magic" of it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carotello For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the topic Yoitisi, I know that non-military and such isn't too popular, but I appreciate it. You can't do them all the time and it fun for me to do everything and anything to get better. It was a hard one to think about, but it was fun to brainstorm about it.

Tsujni: Really cool design and application. Whatever world this is from, there is a story of some kind and I'm interested. The mini-cherry blossom tree is a nice touch, but if its roots wrapped around a little bit more? It would make it seem more part of the dispenser.

Nightblue: Seeing your inspiration, you really hit where you were aiming for. Its a nice render, but there is something devious about it. Perhaps if it was more open, it would feel more happy and inviting?

me: Looking back, it looks fine. Carotello is right, I totally rushed into it and didn't check my perspective. Decoration is pretty heavy. Also, I wish I did more design into the 'steampunkness' of it. The engine and control unit feel separated, more steam engine elements from the engine into the control/dispenser would have been better. Also, I should have darken the background behind the shower head to better contrast the sparkles of happiness derived from aether. I think time spent on the faux 1800s ad presentation could have been better used fixing perspective.

Tsujni and Nightblue, great ideas and execution guys. I can't wait to see more of your work. See you next week!

Opinions and critiques always welcomed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    carotello and IcyM: thanks for the comments!

I was actually aiming for my design to be a bit sinister and dark, as the whole concept of happiness dispenser scares me. I should probably have gone for the "so happy it's creepy" instead, come to think of it. I had a hard time choosing between the other two entries because they are both very creative and cool.

Tsujni: I really really liked your idea. If the cherry tree combined with the mechanical parts in a more organic and intertwined way, the machine would be much more believable.

IcyM: you got my vote because of the beautiful design, interesting scale, and the nice magical atmosphere. The industrial feel is very charming.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -_-
    i forgot about it again and didn't finish.
    tsujini gets my vote, simply because it looks the happiest.

tsujini: lovelly rder and overall the most 'pleasant' looking, which i think was very important this round. could have benefitted from a little background info?
    Nightblue: Nice render and seems to be a little better thought as it is the only entry which shows a context (albeit through text). Maybe could have benefitted from a touch of cosmetic attention, it looks a little threatening as a machine if is to be dispensing happiness.
    icym: love the steampunk styling to somethign which is clearly a dispenser. as a crit i would say it again looks a little dark for somethign churning out smiles, but on a purely visual note, it might have looked better on a page if the main tank-like section was set perpendicular to the console section, rather than being totally linear. weird crit i know, but just thought it would look more interesting as an object, breaking up the line a little

well done guys

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maieth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tsujni – Yours has a strong peaceful feel to it I think mains because of the mini Japanese cherry blossom (if that is indeed what it is). The only thing I can point out and its more opinion than anything is there is just to much white (blank space).

Nightblue – Very nicely done, good lighting and all. I don’t feel I can really point anything out on this.

IcyM – you won my vote. It’s creative and well executed. I really like the color variation through out the image. The perspective from the front to back seems off just a hair but over all great piece.

Kenny
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery isn't ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kMh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wish I had've seen this thread earlier than I did, cos I might've had a go.

I don't feel qualified to critique such excellent works, but I will say they each have their own unique and wonderful qualities, it was hard to choose.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.