Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts

New Nine Inch Nails Album - 100% Free

From http://theslip.nin.com/ :

as a thank you to our fans for your continued support, we are giving away the new nine inch nails album one hundred percent free, exclusively via nin.com.

the music is available in a variety of formats including high-quality MP3, FLAC or M4A lossless at CD quality and even higher-than-CD quality 24/96 WAVE. your link will include all options - all free. all downloads include a PDF with artwork and credits.

for those of you interested in physical products, fear not. we plan to make a version of this release available on CD and vinyl in july. details coming soon.

New Nine Inch Nails Album - 100% Free
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 593 Posts
    haha was gonna say, dude, ghosts was release quite some time ago and then bam, another new album in my face. awesome ! thanks !!

Thanks
    Perhaps he's making up for a long span of nothing followed by a badly received experiment. A good man.

Thanks
    ghosts was awesome
    this one is good too. and i love the fact that its free and that he says nothing about "donations"
    he just says "this one's on me"
    ha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Really liked Ghosts, will grab this tomorrow, ta.

Thanks
    What's wrong with Reznor? Downloading while typing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I guess this will be my intro to NIN. I've never really heard much of their music.
    Last edited by OldJake666; May 6th, 2008 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks
    Odds are you'll be an addict soon enough Jake, but yeah, got it this morning and love it, Reznor's fucking awesome

Thanks
    i'm really liking this record. Much more of a raw, live feel than regular NIN. i love this new trend of giving music away.

Thanks
    Hm... I like it, even though it feels a little rushed. But then again, I never really understood what NIN was all about. I still like his "chart hits" most. but hey, it's free. maybe i'll keep listening.

Thanks
    Wow - again? I'm so glad that when I tell people Trent is my favourite musician and they ask "Why so?" I'm not resigned to answers like "I don't know. 'Coz. He just is."

Waiting for it to download. Thanks Mr. Reznor.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks

Question

Hmm, dunno really.
    Initial impression is "alright".

I liked "Ghosts" because it was very ambient and very floaty, kinda a gothed up "The Wall", it grabbed the ball and ran in that direction but this seems a bit middle of the road, neither one thing or the other.
    I think I probably just miss them from back when they were angry metal loons and I want to hear another really hostile drum machine and guitar freakout record like "Broken", which is still my favourite NIN record so I am totally biased.
    Well played Mr Reznor for the freebie anyway, I like the guys style, just not sure about that album.
    I really liked "The Fragile" though so my opinions are totally suspect....

Edit: Jake, from your other posts I gather you're into teh metal, "Broken" or "Downward Spiral" might be more your thing, the greatest hits "Definitve NIN" triple album thing is a good overview of it all.

Avoid "Fixed", because that's just noise.
    Last edited by Flake; May 7th, 2008 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks
    Kind of an odd coincidence that I obtained the original Quake soundtrack the day before this new release. More new NIN for me to digest, which is cool. Really liking "The Four of Us Are Dying".

Thanks
    Pretty interesting, but is it just me or do all of his albums have an "I'm regurgitated from With Teeth" feel? Not trashing it, just sayin'

I used to have all of the halos up until the Fragile tour... kinda lost interest after that. I do think he's doing some interesting things though, the viral marketing and downloads are definitely a step in the right direction.

My favorite NIN record is Broken as well... and its not even an album, its an EP! I guess he doesn't have that much stuff to really bitch about anymore. His instrumentals will always be strong to me though - he has a gift for creating mood. That and the live shows are intense. I'd recommend attending if they tour anywhere near you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    The style is called "experimental rock" or "space-rock"

If you like the wall and ghosts, try checking out work by isis, sigur ros, godspeed you black emperor, sixtoo, kinksi

It's def my favorite genre of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Hmm, dunno really.
    Initial impression is "alright".

I liked "Ghosts" because it was very ambient and very floaty, kinda a gothed up "The Wall",

Jska, i completely agree with that alot of stuff changed drasticly from "with teeth". I've been listening to the saul williams cd "the rise and fall of niggytardust", that renzor produced and i cant remember which song it is, but saul williams basicly raps right over the music of a song from 'with teeth'

his lyrics are getting a bit boring to me... ive heard enough of things either slipping, falling, breaking or running away.... and the song "letting away" reminds me alot of his earlier work, the more chaotic stuff, but it just isnt working too much for me... the drum beat seems like 4 step d&b and the "guitar distortion" is way too gritty to enjoy.
    Last edited by davi; May 7th, 2008 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Cut/paste from the reply I was posting earlier, then went to make tea..

Quote Originally Posted by Jska View Post
    My favorite NIN record is Broken as well... and its not even an album, its an EP! I guess he doesn't have that much stuff to really bitch about anymore.
    Success has been the downfall (musically) of lots of angry bands.

I guess it's hard to maintain that same level of aggresion when you're wearing a fur coat and riding around in a helicopter made of gold..

Davi I love Isis, Sigur etc.

I've been listening to NIN and buying their records since 1991 or thereabouts, it's been pretty much the soundtrack to my youth but selfishly, I just want to hear NIN rock out one last time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Well I love Tool and NIN is sort of in that same vain of experimental music right? I'll definitely check out Broken.

Thanks
    Davi - haha! Saul Williams actually did rap over a song from Year Zero, that was released on Year Zero Remixed (which was spelled in "leet" speak on the album, I'm too lazy to type it out really) ... not sure but it could be the same song Totally seconded on the lyrics. The best lyrics he had were on The Downward Spiral, and it is actually debated that he ripped off another guy's writing for part of the album.

I have seen Sigur Ros in concert - totally awesome. There was part of a song where they played their guitars with drumsticks and it was pld: And Godspeed You Black Emperor is also good stuff!

Flake - did you know that during the Fragile tour they were actually selling fur vests with the NIN logo on them?? Maybe that was Interscope's idea? hahaha yeah I'm a NIN nerd

Seriously though anything from Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile (which is debatable) is good listening imo (This is of course omitting Purest Feeling - for good reason.)

Thanks
    my favourtie albums are with teeth and the fragile, still is also a good addition.