Impasto Question

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Impasto Question

I have a question about impasto: If I want to use it for its look but NOT for how erasing out of it looks, how would I go about doing this?

Let me explain more: If I use impasto, I like the texture it shows; the variation of light and dark on the stroke. What I DON'T like is how it looks when I try to erase it- like pockmarks/holes and really distinct edges.

So, I figure if there's a way to make initial strokes look impasto'd but then somehow "flatten" them so I can erase them or paint over them as if they were something "normal" that would work. I realize if I save the RIFF as a jpeg or something I could go back and do this, but I'd like to try to stay within the painter file.

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impasto Depth Smear-decreases and smooths out the paint texture

Impasto Distorto Impasto-same as depth smear but with semi random strokes left.

Impasto-Depth Lofter-increases the height of the paint texture

Try playing around with those brushes for a start to get a feel for what they can do.

Hope that helps! :-)

Cheers

Occupo piscis piscis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I think you'll get the results you want only by first saving the file to a format that flattens the image and erasing on the flattened image, or by using File > Clone and erasing on the Clone.

In the demo below, you'll see all of the ways I can think of to erase Impasto enabled brush strokes, either color and depth, depth only, or color only on the original image, then on a Clone of the image:

Impasto Question

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't REALLY have to even flatten them. You can paint with the impasto brushes without the depth option by going to your brush creator window clicking on the impasto tab and changing the box from "draw to depth and color" to "draw to color." Then if you want to start adding depth after a while, just change it back .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i got apinter impaso question too...hope you dont mind if i ask it here as its related. i wanted to paint the imapso texture over my picture with out adding colour just to show the paint ad brush stroke under my current painting,.How do i best go about this? sorry if i sound dense, i am new to this and learning as fast as i can (hopefully with alittle help from you ) Cheers Gurch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Select an Impasto enabled brush variant.

Use Window > Brush Controls > Show General to open all of the Brush Controls' palettes in a docked group.

Open the Brush Controls' Impasto palette and change the Draw To: option to Depth. Now you can paint Depth only.

When you want to paint with both color and depth, in the Impasto palette, change the Draw To: option to Color and Depth.

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jin , that was so fast and a perfect reply. Many many thnaks your my hero of the week. of tyo go try it out now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.