DSG 1358: Sci-Fi: FETAL BIO-SYNTH IN ITS FORMATION TANK - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DSG 1358: Sci-Fi: FETAL BIO-SYNTH IN ITS FORMATION TANK

Leprechaun is offline They're always after me lucky charms! Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked this one a lot, heh.
    About hour and a half or so in PS7

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clemus- nice fun approach! I'd like to see his hair at the top resting at the top of the water. It seems like it cuts off all of a sudden. Great job.
    Psychostrat-I love your color choices besides the black!! it's an interesting piece. I would have to say that you did a better job on the bio-synth body bubbles than the other bubbles above him
    Hamsta-I'm liking the cool tone you went with. the fetus reminds of a robotic tekno puppy dog. I would've liked to see more
    Master Chill-interesting expression. let me stick my arm into the tank to see what he'll do. I don't understand the green strokes, it feels really primary on the color palette to me. I do like what you did with the bubbles around him/her.
    c4l3b-great job taking an hour on the first one. I agree with you that it could use more contrast. I like your indication of scale but there seems to be no ground plane for the people to be standing on. Nice job trying to think out side the box for your next trial. I don't understand what the tank is inside at cats mouth. good job trying different ideas. you don't know what's better if you don't try different things. keep it up and push for doing a piece with color!
    ANTIcarrot-talk about thinking outside the box on this one. wow
    Verastegui-Grey scale is always a good choice to start a painting in to get great contrast and blocking in main forms. You've got a good starting point on your bio-synth tank. Your perspective is off a tad.
    ashton-Great Illustrative story book approach. hilarious. Great use of colors within the tank. The background and people seem like an after-thought. Tweak the top of the tank so it doesn't seem like it's going to fall over. I would keep at this piece and finish it.
    reaxion-A lot of lights. My eye doesn't know where to focus to. I see you tried to blur the background. I like how you added the horizontal pieces at different height. is this tank for multiple bio-synths? nevermind.. i see it now.
    GodOfWar-Great use of your minutes. You have an easy to read "pay off" spot (bio-synth)while you blurred everything else. I know you did this in 15 minutes or so but I would love to see the finished piece later.
    Fractalbot-great job thinking into how they would form these things. very creepy and great colors throughout.
    Apocalypse_Rex-Love the lighting,splatter of red/oranges and your ability to paint metallics. good job. I'm confused at what I'm looking at but... it's a bio-synth.. haha
    Naastika- I want to Hug it !! it looks fluffy and cute. keep at it.
    Jenserai-I'm in the same boat you are. Trying to get results quickly. I try to vision the end result and ask myself how I can cut some corners to achieve the desired effect. It helps cut down unnecessary strokes or choices.
    Titus James-Keep at it man. Experiment with different brushes and how they work. You'll get there. It reminds me of Thundercats
    duszesprzedamtanio-yup..you said it right. nice sense of scale

-phew!.. did I get everybody??? until the next one. I'd like to critique every topic but time is slim some nights.

Last edited by Mike Inscho; May 12th, 2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling errors
    If you don't know.......research !!
    http://mikeinscho.blogspot.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Inscho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a lot of trouble coming up with an idea for this one, first went to wikipedia for a little research, then did a lot of pencil doodles then combined them in PS. I couldn't figure out a formation tank, also I don't know how to render glass, something for future studies.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is fantastic, I'm eating this stuff up.

Here's something critical for everyone.

Apocalypse_Rex-- METROID! I can't look at this and not think of metroid. its very well rendered though. I 'm jelous of your strokes.

Fractalbot -- well done, maybe some value differences? I don't know. something to make it seem more fleshy.

GodOfWar -- great job on the tanks. The creatures seem odd though. that blue color doesn't jive with me for some reason.. It seems that the tanks are on a whole different quality level than the creatures.

reaxion -- something is bothering me about the pose. I can't verbalize it though. great background. it really adds some depth.

ashton -- cute, Nice caption... I think working on some big simple shapes would help your picture... there are just soooo many lines with the people and the ceiling.

scho81 -- I think I see it! are we inside the tank, looking out? yeah, you pulled it off pretty well.. I think it needs something, but I have no idea what... I like this one a lot.

scho81 -- not crazy about the colors, but in 15 min you conveyed the idea very well... I think you could cut off the bottom part of the image though. It creates two focal points with the people being one, and the pipes at the bottom being a second.

Verastegui -- once again, scale is great. big stuff is more impressive if you can do the point of view on the ground plane though... so you are looking up at the creature. This would be a cool one to see done that way.

ANTIcarrot -- if you're going to break from the rest of us... commit to it! Great idea

Master Chill -- like my first one, this could fit in a sketch about creatures in aquariums. Your bubbles are well done. Some depth/shadows on its mouth would be nice.

Hamsta -- this is an improvement! He's kind of cute.

Psychostrat -- your rendering on the top and bottom are fantastic. The organs in the middle seem almost thrown in though.

EBrown - thanks for the compliment. I love the scale in yours. I'm a sucker for vast scale.

Leprechaun -- are those little red bits putting it together? great idea!

scho81 -- thanks for the feedback.. I live for it! Color?! Man, I'm working up the nerve. I'm just starting to comprehend values at a more comfortable level. The tank in the mouth is supposed to be where the new creature is grown. I guess I could have conveyed something in there instead of just making some cloudy marks.

armando -- I have no idea what that is. Its very nice to look at though. I wish I could be so confident with my values.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c4l3b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    late again.

Last edited by ExiledRed; May 6th, 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

About 20 mins. I was juggling this duder in my head ALL day.

"I like doing stuff that interests me. What is it? Just anything that is new and different to old and traditional. There has to be an interesting aspect to things, but not same old run of the mill. There, I've told you everything, and it denotes nothing. Basically, give it a try. Give it a go. At least once. You know you want to. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    C4l3b – There is a good sense of linear perspective and scale here. Good job.

Jenserai – I’m going to have to agree with c4l3b on this one, your colors and simplicity really bring out this painting. I also think your implementation of linear perspective is well done as well.

Naastika – I like your color choice, and you did a good job on the fluid look.

Apoclypse_Rex – for only an hour that is really well done. Mine was an hour and half and no where near that level. Your light source really brings it out.

Fractalbot – I like your creature design and how the wires are connected to its head.

GodOfWar – Awesome job on the floor reflection! That really adds some life to this painting in my opinion.

Reaxion – well done! It reminds me of the matrix with the pods on the walls.

Ashton – looks like you are taking some steps in understanding linear perspective. Keep at it if you are! I need to start working on learning LP. It really adds some life to a composition.

Scho81 – that is an interesting point of view that you chose. The silhouette of the figure from the outside of the chamber is well done. Nice job!

Scho81 – Nice job on the speed painting, that would have probably taken be a couple hours to do.

Verastegui – Nice job on your sense of scale! Your creature looks to be developed past the fetal stage a bit.

ANTIcarrot – I don’t know if your drawing was meant to be comical, but your choice of fetus made me laugh.

C4l3b – I like the attempt at a departure from the norm. It’s a cool idea!

Master Chill – Nice vicious looking fetus! I like your choice of colors for the fluid, and good job on the bubbles in the fluid.

Hamsta – I really like your fetus design. Is that four hands I see? Almost looks like something that could go in a Hellboy movie.

Psychostrat – Good job on your render of the glass!

Clemus – your color choice works well for this subject. And that air is pretty crazy looking!

EBrown – Another composition showing some nice scale! Lots of scale in this DSG, well done.

Leprechaun – good job on your light source!

Armando – I’m in the same boat as you when it comes to rendering glass. I needed to do that on mine, and avoided it due to the lack of knowing how. Still, your creature design is pretty good. Reminds me of Starcraft a little bit.

ExiledRed – I think I like your first fetal concept. It intrigues me. I think there could have been some more contrast on the formation tank, in my opinion. Good job!

I really enjoyed viewing all your paintings, keep it up everyone!

Edit: cshinn posted at the same time, nice job on the legs. Those are pretty cool looking, his head reminds me of a Mosquito.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titus James For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, first post here. I saw the idea and could imagine shtuff. About 40 minutes, give or take.
    I've been trying to teach myself digital painting...don't know if I'm getting anywhere or not.

Trying to allow my brain to bloom...

My DA page
    http://azureallesmere.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    scho81 definitely like your second post, the perspective and lighting is well done.. good attention to detail with the tanks in the background.

EBrown seeing it in the FETAL position, this thing must be huge. like the curved platform projecting from the wall.

c4l3b has a fish tank feel to it, good job on perspective.

Titus James very interesting design, like the lighting projecting its figure.

Psychostrat-I love your color choices besides the black!!
    black is my favorite color!!! I know some artist don't like to use black, but besides that.. one would think the bio-fetal womb is black until birth

Psychostrat -- The organs in the middle seem almost thrown in though.
    it was a quick render, may do more later..

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll try and use some of these tips in other sketches.

duszesprzedamtanio: I like how it seems like it's just floating in midair, also with it's arms wrapped around itself.
    Titus James: I like this tank your thing is in. I probably should've made a tank, too. Oh well.
    ninjacat11:Hey, don't bash your stuff, it only discourages. I like that you went for the actual machine-embryo. I wanted to do something similar, but ended working the "heavy lifting" type creature into it instead.
    c4l3b: Contrast would help it a lot, I feel. I love his cute whale face. Looks like something from Star Wars.
    Jenserai: The contrast and limited colors works here.
    Apocalypse_Rex: Awesome as usual. This looks like it's being forged. I like it.
    Fractalbot:You definitely did a better job on your tubes than I did.
    GodOfWar:The reflections on the floor look really cool, as does this electric looking creature.
    reaxion: The colors are so brilliant, I like this.
    ashton: lol, cool.
    scho81: I like this veiny, squiddy stuff you have going on here. I personally like this one better just because it doesn't look like a factory. You can actually see some weird organic stuff.
    Verastegui: Wow, it's so big! I probably should've added some scale in mine. Good job.
    ANTIcarrot:So does this machine zap things into existence?
    Master Chill: Nice gaping maw.
    Hamsta: Cute as always.
    Psychostrat: I'm not sure what's going on, but I like the color choices.
    Clemus: I like the shading, and that contact mine it's sitting in.
    EBrown: This looks gross to me. Nice.
    Leprechaun: Nice colors.
    armando: So nice and clean!
    ExiledRed: Those are cool. I really like that splashy stuff on the side, lol.
    cshinn: What a cute flea monster!
    Alycat: Aw, it's so creepy.
    burrito: That's awesome.

Last edited by Naastika; May 6th, 2008 at 02:24 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naastika For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by William b. Hand; May 6th, 2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Too Big. Quality is low, also, but I'm being lax... so just Re-Size it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice i have never been in the daily sg before, lets give it a try. Here is my piece.

This theme was really cool ;>

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to armetage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

no scanner yesterday
    15 min ballpoint pen
    20 min PS

I always draw in lecture,if there is no test and no interest.subject was 'christs and jews in the middle ages', it is actually just about the prejudices against jews from which the antisemitism in the third reich comes from,and the prof just trying to make us feel guilty for this (cause he thinks we are all christs).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    armetage- Great job leading the eye to the main focal point. Definately my favorite thus far.

If you don't know.......research !!
    http://mikeinscho.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    at first I didn't want to post mine, but... here it is.
    I badly need some studies about various things

there are good entries in this round too
    my favourite is armetage's one, it's so good to look at, so artistic and balanced...
    but I like burrito's (as always ), Jenserai's (good atmosphere... the "brightness everywhere" is a bit much for me, though),
    duszesprzedamtanio's (nice forms ), Fractalbot (I really like both body and pipes), GodOfWar (good job in 15min), cshinn's (cute ) and more...

Last edited by shiNIN; May 6th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another quicky for fun.

Shinin, your improving. The fetus is definitely behind glass in fluid and the concept is good.

Jenserai, my favourite for it's atmosphere, very creepy.

Fughi, I really enjoy how you convey a sophisticated, believable image with undisciplined lines, and I like the comic style colours too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice topic.

Took way to much time. About 1.5 hrs in PS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Not really a fetus..but the end result.

Last edited by tokuku; May 6th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tokuku View Post

Not really a fetus..but the end result.
    link takes me to a guy with a trenchcoat or cape reaching out at the camera... did you link the wrong pic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by c4l3b View Post
    link takes me to a guy with a trenchcoat or cape reaching out at the camera... did you link the wrong pic?
    Yeah it was the wrong link...my bad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Armetage-Ah well, welcome to the DSG! and by the way, thanks for blowing all our submissions out of the water, haha. This one was really well done, great colors and composition.

Artists have such a magnificent gift...breathing life into something with just simple lines.

The Sketchbook: Life through Line

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the folks that took the time to critique everyone, this round and in particular the last one, gave me some useful tips.

One general critique or tip I've got is to follow the brief. "large-scale creations tend to begin "life" at a more diminutive size in order to keep formation tanks manageable", "NOTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A HUMAN FETUS", there were several that didn't follow those guidelines. It's more challenging to follow the brief to the best of one's ability, you'll progress more that way.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

32. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1-2 hours Oc

Sorry for not being on topic last time..
    I hope this one is

Awesome pics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all nice comments ;D good work here guys, i will try to critique a few of them.

Leprechaun: Nice one! I like the concept and you have succeeded with making it feel like its in some sort of a transparent kind of thing which is really good. One tip would be to work more on how the objects interact with the groundplane, Try to intergrate them more, make it feel like its stuck in the ground more, i would work a littlebit more on the castshadows on the ground. Try to work in a littlebit more light on the spikes on the ground, some of them should be hit by some light i think.

Anthis: woho great one aswell: Your image looks very atmospheric and hazy so i would defenetly make some of the backer "tubes" edges a bit more smudged,and also paint some fog infront of them. It looks like the main lightsource is from the far behind so try to make some light hitting the edges of the tubes. Also try to paint in some bouncelight up in the seeling, the blue fog light should hit the floor then bounce right up in the seeling, so you could take a pretty dark blue and paint in some there ^^

erniesthings Mysterious and curios peace i like it!:
    Same goes for you, try to intergate the tubes with the ground a bit more, as it looks now it seems like its almost floating, make us really feel the contact between the to objects! I cant stress how important it is ^^
    Another thing could be too add more depth to the image. Paint more in the background with lighter and less saturated colors.
    I did a little paintover hope you dont mind:

35. The Following User Says Thank You to armetage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    erniesthings - i really like those rocky/bio stalactite oozing nipple things.. delightfully gross!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice and the paintover. Still trying to get this digital painting thing down.

Your design is very nice. I hope to be at that level some day.

Quote Originally Posted by armetage View Post
    Thanks for all nice comments ;D good work here guys, i will try to critique a few of them.

erniesthings Mysterious and curios peace i like it!:
    Same goes for you, try to intergate the tubes with the ground a bit more, as it looks now it seems like its almost floating, make us really feel the contact between the to objects! I cant stress how important it is ^^
    Another thing could be too add more depth to the image. Paint more in the background with lighter and less saturated colors.
    I did a little paintover hope you dont mind:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

as always great ideas
    armetage, supernice!

Last edited by PlasmaErnst; May 7th, 2008 at 11:50 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.