Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Human time.

Im improving here each time i take a break then go back to humans.Facially, anyways. My most common mistake is giving everyone a long face, with the nose in particular taking odd shapes. A while back i presented a page of faces to the guy from RARE and he said they were bad- i didnt really see it at the time. Now its so painfully obvious, which is a good thing

So some sketchys. The girl with the huge mouth is my favourite. The oldish hag has more of the the long/snoutey face flaws which i usually fall into, was pretty much included to point that out.

study study study

EDIT: It should be pointed out that i'm aware these still have flaws- wonkyness etc- i would blame the late night session which they were drawn at for that- however in terms of personal improvement theyre getting there

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I started late today- big mistake. Felt rather guilty about being on the PC all day after seeing a bunch of headlines on the BBC news site ( my homepage- not always the best thing to wake up to ) about the rising price of home bills. That was a bad idea. without googlevideo or music to tie me to my desk and sketchbook i ended up getting distracted, wandered into the other room and watched time team ( they were digging up south shields, i couldnt just not watch ), then a marathon of 'my super sweet spoilteen' with my sister after playing the wii with her for quite a while...yeah...not exactly my greatest example of strength of will.

So my sketching has been backwards today. These faces were the best i got done- after this some kind of universal wave of fatigue hit me and everything i produced just didnt look right. Eyes are frakishly huge and wonky in some cases, not a good look. You can see where the fatigue wave hit- big freaky eye, skinny skinny face, no neck.

Overall meh- i like the softer girl on the bottom right the best. The stoned looking girl on the left looks kind of familiar but im not sure who she reminds me of. i used ref or a model in a hair magazine for shape of the face, but half of it was covered so i had to improvise- this doesnt look like the model..but it does look like SOMEONE...its on the tip of my tongue! D:

Thanks
    A few years back, myself and a friend set ourselves a 15 minute art challenge. Three words were chosen at random, and we had to show each of them in pencil/traditional mediums.

A couple of years later, i redid the same challenge by myself to see how i'd improved. Today i did it again.

And was disturbed FOUR times by family members during the 15 minute period >O. I decided to use what i made despite having to pause, since doing it again wouldnt be as representative.

Things i have learnt from this exercise-

1. Not even big headphones and trying to look like youre concentrating will stop people from talking to you, nor will it stop the dog from stinking up the room with a colossal fart.

2. I got the basic pose down in 4 minutes, and was then disturbed- i dont know if was the disturbance which caused me to use this pose without altering it or checking proportions etc, or something else- like not knowing how long 15 minutes really is- but a good deal of time was wasted going over lines which had already been made.

3. I did not use the full A4, i stuck to a rather small a5ish corner and as a result certain elements ended up rather..squashed and hard to manouevre. The area was too small for detail- though that feels like a bit of an excuse because i've drawn far smaller previously.

4. Shading is rather half-hearted and ugly- this was at the end where i was again pushing to know what to do with my time. Its better to NOT include ANY shading than half assed ugly shading. Let the digital take over later.

5. Lulz awful gun. Another one of those ' was it being distracted which put me off, or did i just not consider the elements i should have' moments.

Attached is the new version, the original and the remake.

I think its interesting to note how stricter the lines are in the 2004 version. The image was a lot bigger than the recent one - I have loosened up a lot since then, but it seems that my approach was far more structured. Its interesting to see how as i've gotten less illustrative i seem to have lost something in terms of presentation.

'02 original is lulz. I got into an anime stage not because i liked anime much- i only really saw a few shows- but because it seemed an 'easy' alternate way to depict humans which was different from anything i'd ever seen before. I stopped it once anime started to get 'big' and people were saying i drew in an 'anime style' and not my own.

Thanks
    Another couple of ladies for today. I dont know why the right one is so wonky, im guessing it was another optical illusion/drawing too horizontal problem, because i didnt notice it until i moved the sketchbook.

This is really starting to do my head in TBH. I dont really know how to fix it- it has to do with how i sit at my desk, but i cant change the hight of my chair nor the desk. The only thing i can do really is remain vigilant to my posture ( and friggn draw bigger) but if you're engrossed in what youre doing it can be hard to be aware of your surroundings D:.

The best height for me has always been cross legged with my sketchbook on my lap. Not the best posture- and not really do-able in a 'work' situation. Thats certainly where my wacom lives though- resting on whatevers in front of me for a bit of support and tilt. Everything else tends to be too high.

Thanks
    I've been waking up on a morning recently with a very negative set of thoughts in my head- that i'm a fraud, that im not good enough, that im fooling myself, that i should quit. I dont know where its came from, but its not all that nice. I guess sleeping on the floor instead of a bed messes with your head a bit? Either way i dont like it D:. Luckily it doesnt take much to dispel those worries, and on i plot.

Yesterday i did a bunch of large, loose studies of poses from posemaniacs- with an emphasis on the word 'loose'. I'll not be uploading them- but the exercise itself is worth noting as it helped me 'join together' the human form, to smooth it out a bit and make it less 'modular' ( legs attach here, arm goes here) in the initial sketch stage. I've been seeing from a more skeletal level for a while now, no doubt as a result of how i do creatures, not to mention the massive gap since i last did a true life study- that approach is kind of slow, as evidenced in the 15 minute girl problem.

I was planning on doing some pin-up characters for my portfolio ( turnarounds at some point too ) but it became obvious i need to do a little more study to get the human form back into my vocab. Creativity flows when you've immersed yourself in something, a concept which i always seem to forget for certain subjects. My little creature hiatus has been a double edged sword here. Not having anatomy on the mind 24-7 has blown away a few cobwebs in terms of the mistakes i make from creature-human- its nice to get a fresh take on it - but not using comparative like i usually do has made considering anatomy in general slightly trickier than it usually would be.

Its not quite like forgetting how to ride a bike, more like picking up a game you played a lot then had a big break from. you still kind of remember the controls and the gameplay, but you tend to come in with a different attitude and have a different experience as a result.

Thanks
    Cant believe how much the studying at posemaniacs has helped me, goddamn. I'm still struggling a bit with my approach, but thats more about technique/'style' than anything else. For the first time i dont feel afraid when it comes to drawing humans. It feels like i'm inching towards being actually employable now, its nice .

Alongside the study i decided to revisit some older work today, to get some stylistic variety into my portfolio. In my second year at teesside i took a level design module- lots of fun. Our final assignment/ICA was to create a level based on the theme of 'ninjas'. Ever the awkward one, i stuck two fingers up at convention and made my ninjas part of a time travelling band who must stay in the shadows to avoid creating a time paradox.

In my level, the ninjas have to acquire a precious Egyptian artifact from the belly of the titanic on the night she sinks. Also on board is a vengeful mummy, who begins to posses passengers and crew to defend herself and her treasure. The attached character is ' Old Mrs Alexandrovich', a posessed russian steerage passenger who acts as a boss in one of the three battles within the level. Her attacks involve using her children ( who have their own 'powers' ) as a human shield as she is rather old and frail- but as you can see, she still has quite a bit of fighting spirit.

I dont know if i still have the design document, but if i do i'll put it on my site if anyones interested in finding out more.

Attached is the original and the new digital version. I approached the lineart a little differently, using the 6D art pen. It felt really natural . The end result was a little chunkier than i'd usually like, but i still think it works, especially given the over the top nature of the 'level'.

Thanks
    This one was a lot of fun once i got into it. I did a version a couple of days ago taking the same kind of half-hearted approach to lineart as i did with the old woman, but it just didnt look right due to the size and pose of the character.

The second try was better from a lineart point of view, but i still wasnt really happy, something just didnt look right. Once i began to put colour on the lines it really came together.

Went through a number of colour schemes for the hair/PJs. The original colour was a desaturated red, but it really clashed with his skin and didnt really look vibrant enough. When i first came up with this character i pictured him wearing brown but..oh god..gaming has enough browns without me adding to the problem even with a character who isnt for a 'real' game D:. Brown is such a catch- all colour, i've used it a lot in the past and..bleh. The next colour was green, which was better than brown, but it made the character look a bit irish. Eventually i went back to a more burgandy red, thanks to the lovely hue/saturation tool :3.

..and if this was for an assignment i'd have screenshots of those changes.

The dessert looking skin was inspired by my own after i got out of the shower earlier, i looked like one of those pink and pale checkerboard cakes. very odd.

I guess this is one of those drawings which would be improved monumentally if i actually knew how to/has access to illustrator ( or just understood how to do vectors in photoshop), but learning those skills isnt a priority atm. Its also one of those where i messed up and saved over the original PSD with the resized version. Never happens with uni work or projects, always with small things ;_;.

Despite this, i actually put a little thought into presentation this time. Its always been something i disregard when it comes to art ( less so with graphic stuff, i'm really anal about that), which i think has probably hurt me a lot in the past.

As with last time, the original from early 07 is included.

Thanks
    Back from London. Caught some kind of crazy 48 hour bug while down there which my immune system has just finished pwning. Got a billion reference photos. Actually learnt a few things about fashion while observing the people and places of camden town.

I've spent most of today shifting through my gigantic new collection of photos, so the drawing is sparse. Coming back to it refreshed has made me once again see flaws in things i didnt notice at the time again- mr alexandrovich is getting a tweaking soon, and those ladies i did last week suddenly seem far wonkier.

So tonights offering is rather relaxed, which is always fun. Mocked up a 'screenshot' for a thread about 'sonic and the black knight' over at an imageboard i regular at. I overtweaked it to hell and back, merged the layer which had the original sonic on which made life rather complicated. Was looking hopeless until i added the black lineart, which helped it look a bit like a cel shade shader.

I approached this in a different way to usual, which had kinda mixed results. When it comes to cartoon work, i usually black in the lineart first then colour it. Here i blocked in the colour first and wasnt really concerned about the lines or accuracy. Doing it this way sped things up a LOT, but as a downside it made the integrity of the line suffer, which feels like the ultimate sin.

I've noticed that i have a lot of trouble sorting out horizontal composition. Vertical comes naturally, but horizontal confuses me a bit. I know that its just vertical flipped, yet it still makes me wary. This was just a throwaway bit of fluff, it was never going to be anything more - but because of it i know where my study needs to head next! ( after another week of humans perhaps D

Thanks
    ugh, i am so drained. That cold still isnt out of my system, its getting there, but it sure likes to make my nose runny at the moment.

It seems the more time i spend here ( as in this house, not conceptart.org :3), the less work im getting done. I can feel my spirit slowly dimming out, while some inner demons are starting to stir. Its not long before i start to really bite peoples heads off. I'm already not at all as chilled out as i would usually be.

I still have a bit of hope- the loft is currently in the process of being made into a space which can be used for some damn privacy and peace. I'm not going to place all of my eggs in that basket vis a vis it helping me up my workload, but i really hope it does.

I'm going through pieces and tweaking them again at the moment. I fixed the problems with the russian man the other day, and am now working on adding a bit of colour to the buildings i did weeks ago.

I'm not really sure how to approach painting buildings. Drawing them is fine- putting texture on there is where i start to fumble. My instinct is to just slap on some textures and give them a bit of tweaking,treating it like a flat side of a 3d model- but that can take a while and doesnt seem like a professional workflow for these small quick concepts. I'm working at a tiny ( like 300X300, its rediculous) resolution to stop myself using textures as a crux, or going into too much detail. Thinking around that is fun- im making a lot of custom brushes, for example, but it is on the level of pixel pushing, which is never really brilliant when it comes to detail.

Attached is one of the buildings im messing with,just to show the kind of result im getting. Its looking very dodge and burn here among other fails- tweaked the colour balance twice, kinda messed it up- but you can still get the gist of the quick custom brushes.

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Haven't been in in a while - my computer is still partaking of the process where it falls slowly apart. I like your recent stuff. I don't like the negative talk (although I've engaged in plenty myself).

Tough times require tough measures. Get drawing. Your cartooney guys have been pretty cool there recently, but they need a layer of polish. The Sonic comp isn't your best either, but you could easily improve on it. The building is looking good, IMHO. Work it out!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    WOW, very nice stuff, your creatures are really original, the dickpig was hilarious!. You really have a great style... good luck!
    I'd rather leave this blank

Pay a visit to My little sketchbook!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donalfall View Post
    Haven't been in in a while - my computer is still partaking of the process where it falls slowly apart. I like your recent stuff. I don't like the negative talk (although I've engaged in plenty myself).

Tough times require tough measures. Get drawing. Your cartooney guys have been pretty cool there recently, but they need a layer of polish. The Sonic comp isn't your best either, but you could easily improve on it. The building is looking good, IMHO. Work it out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, thanks . I'll certainly put both of the cartoons through another round of tweaking- thats something i really need to start being super vigilant about so im glad it was pointed out.

The negativity in me should pass soon enough, i've felt really guilty this past week about not getting much done ( i had other priorities, like going and buying new clothes..something i literally havent done for 4 years now ) and its making me stress and look for outlets to spew my usual excuses.

Another building here- this one was far quicker and more fun than the last. The size im posting these at is the size theyre being painted at- im not sure if thats speeding things up or making me slower tbh. It doesnt really seem like a sensible plan of action though as theres no way what i have here can be printed or adequately resized..i think ill finish em at a sensible resolution.

Lowered the opacity a bit on the first building to try and mute that dodge/burn look a bit for now. I'm Trying to avoid doing that as a rule since its cheating a bit, makes everything too washed out too ( even if i like it like that on a personal level) so i'll still redo it once ive got the others done.

Thanks
    This one was a little flitty. I started in photoshop and decided i wanted a bit of texture from more natural brushes, so i brought it into painter. Painter didnt really work out ( its not really the best program for small images ), so i brought it back into photoshop and repainted it with photoshops own dry media brushes and a bit of tweaking.

I said id have the whole page done in one night- that was quite the overstatement. While i wrestle with technique i still cant say i can get them done quickly//at a good standard- though im speeding up with each one .

Thanks
    Building 4. I have vastly underestimated the value of custom brushes over the past few years, theyre a damn lifesaver- far faster than messing about with textures.

This one had me scratching my head when it came to colour schemes for the posters. The bottom section which is meant to be a bit more 'modern' was also a bit of a pain since i wasnt sure how to approach it. A lot of the time when im doing b/w lineart I know the exact textures which would be used on the building or creature or whatever - but the colours fail me. Its not like i cant work with colour, it just tends not to be in my mind as im constructing something unless i have a strict theme.

This one was always meant to be a brick- 'skin' coloured, though it took me a few iterations to get the right tone.

This could use polish in certain areas- but since im likely to resize this to the same 300X300 or whatever the first couple were, im holding that off until i get more done.

Thanks
    Overworked this last night. The initial sketch was fine, as was the initial run of shading, but there was something i didnt really like about it so i got carried away with more shading, then i put on a watercolour layer which didnt really work , then i spent this morning messing about with markers on it. The result is mush, all the details have been nuked. The sketchbook im using isnt cut out for this much work on one image- but i thought id upload anyways if not just to remind myself of the images which i ruin. I still kinda like the pose even if i messed the rendering.

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast