Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: ALHs Creatures, Cartoon & Crypt Character Compendium

Thanks
    Very nice
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Thanks
    Been another one of those not feeling comfortable/private enough to concentrate in photoshop days, so i've been continuing to mess around in colors where noone can peer over my back and make me feel all itchy and paranoid.

Attached is as far as i got before the file corrupted, im kind of gutted that it did because i had a lot more to add to this. Dont really want to finish it in PS though, since the aim of the exercises im doing atm is to show buildings representing different graphic programs made exclusively in those programs.

The colours are oversaturated because im using a DSphat, which doesnt show true colour like it should.

Thanks
    bit of an update overload today!

It feels weird to say it, but im actually having fun painting in photoshop. Its kind of..simpler to handle than painter, in terms of laying down colour, while painter is very precise in terms of how the brushes react with each other, with the canvas, with the colours on show. It takes a little while to get back into the swing of painter if you've not touched it for a while, wheras photoshop is a bit like easy mode- you just get in there and go.

I still prefer painter- i REALLY miss being able to rotate my image freely, having an un-gay undo feature and a more quickly accessible colour wheel, but custom brushes are kinda fun.

Went a bit over the top with the customs in the following screenshot, probably because im bloody knackered and its effecting my judgement.

Thanks
    i didnt really want these exercises to turn into massive pieces with tens of hours spent on them, but as i endlessly tweak theyre sure getting that way. This still has some more work to be done on it, though i need to get out of my tweaking obsession and use my time to add detail and some scale instead.

I think its safe to say, next time i work from a 3dsmax render ill use a camera and not just the generic perspective viewport, this thing was warped and weird before i started.

But eh. Kinda wanted to give this a super dramatic lick of setting sunlight but it wasnt really working. kinda need to do more study for that and..wtf its 2AM. where did the last few hours go D:.

Its at the point now where im wishing i had photoshop to help me with certain things, but the aim of this is to use only one prog so i must persist. I've ordered a 6D art pen for my wacom ( damn expensive, but im considering it my reward for getting good grades ) so i should find painter a bit easier once it arrives, since i've learnt recently that photoshop will happily consider brush tilt and direction while painter doesnt without a fancy pants pen.

That and i've been tempted by it for a while now- this new revelation is just a bonus excuse.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH View Post

My mind keeps changing from 'my course is to blame for all of this!' to ' i should really be ashamed of myself' when i consider the impact of having to concentrate on 3D and animation. Learning 3D has REALLY helped my 2d spacial skills, even if the 3D itself took away time from drawing - its just a shame i lost my old 'i must do my best and perhaps this will get me a DD on deviantArt!' drive to make 'finished' pieces. But deviantArt is not really the place to get any kind of accurate judge on your own skills.

..Actually getting 2 DDs didnt really help either, oh man, theres getting complacent, then theres having hundreds of people say 'THIS IS AWESOME OMG' to something you didnt really like yourself before it was featured. TWICE. Ego = KABLOOEY.

I'm glad my confidence was shattered by the rare guy because i had turned into such a prick.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a DA account, but I'm not crazy about the site myself. DeviantArt isn't really the best place for getting good feedback.The ridiculous amount of asspats can go to one's head.

You're definitely improving.

Thanks
    What bugs me the most about DA is the fact that its not really an ART 'community'. There are little pockets of community, and little pockets of art, but in general the place is used as a dumping ground for animu fanartists and the like. Its hard to find people who are there because they genuinely love art and want to improve, and not just genuinely love naruto and want to marry him.

I kinda wish there were two sites, one for people with aspirations and one for people who just want to have fun, but i guess for aspirations and a more 'professional' community theres always this place . You dont really find the breadth of work you would at DA here on CA though, i still like me some good photography or more abstract work which wouldnt fall under 'concept art'- which is why i still hang around there.

Thanks
    'Finished' painter building(s)- im certainly not adding more to them for now.

The tweaking got out of hand, it was at the point where i was tweaking then deleting the tweaks then doing them again. I think its safe to say that next time i use a 3D base for reference/inspiration i'll use it incredibly loosely, because this confused me more than anything else.

Things which i have discovered from this exercise-

- tweaking is the devil
    - i rely on the skew tool in PS too much and really missed it here ( sure is time-saving though)
    - its better to get certain details down before the endless tweaking stage
    - as per usual, 'advanced' lighting was an afterthought- bad bad bad habit
    - 1000X2000 is a rubbish size for detail- this isnt a 100% bad thing though, as it prevented me from doing my usual ' spend 50 hours on an amazing doorknob then 6 minutes on a shitty door'
    - Painter isnt the be all and end all like i usually make it out to be.

This has been a week of distraction, every time someone has walked past me i've stopped working or gone off to bug them. Its not really acceptable behavior, so i've just ordered myself a pair of meaty (budget :3) headphones from amazon to help me block out the outside world. Headphones give me really bad headaches, or at least the earphones i have at the moment do- but i sure as hell can concentrate better with them than without them.

Look at me typing shit about being distracted here, as if this ISNT a distraction, goddamn.

Thanks
    Touching up some old work for portfolio..oh man.

So, the original of this (right) was done when i was stressed out of my face. I was out of a study cycle, and as a result handnt refreshed my human drawing skills for about..4 months due to crazy mounting deadlines and a bad attitude. It was about a week before my project handin, and i was without a decent full-body image of my protagonist, after the first version was...well, dire would be kind. Embarrassing as hell would be closer to the mark. This one was an improvement (lol) but was rushed- really rushed.Nasty lineart, horrible remnants of my cheekbone phase, kinda flat colour. Didnt even look like the character.

A month or two after handin and an afternoons worth of tweaking later, and the result is much improved. It still needs a little bit more ironing out,and there are bits which cant really be changed short of redrawing it... but i thought this was worth the up for now.

Side note- personality-wise the character was not meant to have such 'styled' hair, but oh god i couldnt help myself ;_;.
    Last edited by ALH; July 7th, 2008 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Ok, so, some lovely guns for show. The top row are rather rubbish- done before i did some studies. Once i'd warmed up and done some research things got smoother.

These arent really coming out as fast as i'd like, i guess because i'm trying to be neat rather than speedy. I may move to doing this kind of work in flash if not just for the straight line tool than for the scaling without quality loss. i'll be honest and say i dont really understand the line tool in photoshop. Its something im going to need to grab a tutorial on at some point, but something tells me it will take longer to use that than just to do little rough thumbs by hand.

Obviously using a true line tool will make things more accurate D:.

Thanks
    yet more guns.

Will be putting some texture etc on a couple of them soon

Thanks
    I'm back to the horrible cheap paper again now..damn..it really is unworkable for anything beyond quick, throwaway sketches and studies. Pencil is pretty much unworkable on it, yuck.

A pen is fine, but not being able to elaborate is really frustrating.

One problem with me and humans is that it takes me a while to get them down, the SLIGHT differences between humans and most other creatures are enough to really throw me off at times. I guess that means i should do more actual studies of actual people out and about since its the gestures that are the problem more than anything else.

Attatched are some quicky sketches i did as a warm up. They were fun, it felt so nice to not be concerned about getting things neat or perfect. I thought they were worth upping for the lulz. character is my bearded lady fighter, who has yet to be properly explored but certainly will be.

She totally has to be bearded because if she was just a lady i would grow bored of her

My focus for this week will more than likely be humans/characters. I will return to environments and interior environments in particular soon, but until then im in desperate need of some character work- i havent got a single turnaround or T-pose in my portfolio, which is shameful.

Sometimes i think im being a little paranoid about my portfolio- there have been various junior/minimal experience art positions pop up on gamesindustry.biz and aardvark swift which i havent even applied for because i know i have gaps. I'm part wondering if i should, just to see if i could get anywhere with what i have, or if i should continue to study my face off then send off something when i have more confidence in what im showing.

I'm going down to london for 5 days ( well, 3 since two are 8 hour coach journeys :| ) from the 21st. I'm excited. I've been before, but didnt have much time to there. This time i fully intend on abusing my camera. Im not going with the intention to sketch furiously all day,as kind of fun as that sounds- 3 days still isnt much time to soak in everything- but ill certainly be doing what i can. I'm looking forwards to hitting camden and getting as much ref as i can when it comes to fashions, though im not going to pretend the main reason for me wanting to go isnt the natural history museum and zoo. Even if ive banned myself from creatures i can still look at them ;_;.

Thanks
    Human time.

Im improving here each time i take a break then go back to humans.Facially, anyways. My most common mistake is giving everyone a long face, with the nose in particular taking odd shapes. A while back i presented a page of faces to the guy from RARE and he said they were bad- i didnt really see it at the time. Now its so painfully obvious, which is a good thing

So some sketchys. The girl with the huge mouth is my favourite. The oldish hag has more of the the long/snoutey face flaws which i usually fall into, was pretty much included to point that out.

study study study

EDIT: It should be pointed out that i'm aware these still have flaws- wonkyness etc- i would blame the late night session which they were drawn at for that- however in terms of personal improvement theyre getting there

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast