Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread: ALHs Creatures, Cartoon & Crypt Character Compendium

ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Thanks
    Thanks

Things to ponder here. Was flicking through images from 'tekkonkinkreet ', looking at exactly what they were doing for me, and noted how I could do similar - how at times I kinda HAVE done, just never when I'm forcing it.

Its the sense of place, and how like...I know I can take that from within me, I know there are places in there, I've tapped into it before, I just have to work a little harder to find that spark. ( Being more awake would help also, obviously!)

I havent captured any of that here because what they did is actually really hard, and I only started to 'get' it partway through before deciding its a lil too late to continue. But hmm. I got stuff to think about.

No doubt if I had focused on this this morning I could've iterated myself into some good stuff by now, but thats how it goes with art sometimes. ( Plus I had work :p)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lunchtime rat dude, 30-40 mins. I kinda stumbled when I was doing the colour, multiply layer = evil, gotta practise my approach so I can do this faster. Also gotta study some more shapes, everything I do is kinda natural- which is cool, but I'm interested in seeing what happens when I mix it up a bit..
    Last edited by ALH; June 27th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So yeah, I broke the middle finger on my left hand about a month ago. Did I even mention it here? Evidently not . Its effected me in as much as...its hard to hold a book, I cant really do some keyboard shortcuts now (though I adapted to that pretty quickly) I cant really play videogames, and sometimes it hurts so much that I cant really concentrate on much.

That, and a family holiday, and some secret stuff I wont post here yet, is why my sketchbook has ran dry- I'm still pumping away at things, even if I have a ways to go til I reach full capacity ( And I prolly wont reach it while I have a broken finger, even if it is a nicely painful reminder that I need to sort my life out) , Im feeling more like myself as an artist lately

Todays entry consists of some skull study, some random faces and an attempt to explore Frankenstein's monster. The task I set myself was to try and do a version of the monsters head that retained some of its clichés, but push the shapes into something interesting, as a means for practising my stylised humans. I cant say I really satisfied myself wholly there, I'd kinda need some more research etc to really find the solution, though there are a couple of them which I dig.

Kinda feel like I need to level up my game by taking this stuff a hell of a lot more seriously, but thats something I have to do gradually because a one off overnight change never sticks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    More from this morning, lil more satisfying

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Need to practise how I approach rendering/colour more, this way is obviously stylised in one direction (The one I find fast/fun for pumping out lots of these without dwelling), gotta try some others for the sake of professional stuff.

These are also a bit flat, they look washed out on my laptop and a little richer on my cintiq. Ideally I'd spent a little more time on them giving depth, but I'm prolly better off picking one and bringing it through to something final tbh.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    160712 Beach

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    230712 Inner Demons- Quick idea with some variations on framing n stuff.

Realising lately the insane amount of effort an artist I've known for a long time now has put into his stuff, feelin LAZZYY, oh man. That kind of thing makes you want to strangle the person concerned, out of jealousy but mostly out of shame for your own poor show.

Her screen shows similar.

I wanna do more, but Its bedtime. Didnt spend long on these, but I gotta get faster so I can nail it before I submit this kinda thing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Today has been an exercise day. I've bigger creative stuff I need to do, but I really needed to put some of this in there first.

Todays exercise has been about characters in situations. My initial approach to this (which i still need to scan ) was a couple of days ago- I sometimes use posemaniacs to warm up, which is great for characters, but I never do an enviro/situation equivalent, so I set the countdown to 60 seconds and tried to get a gesture down and then make up a little background, or shove a prop in there. The idea is to try and get situational thinking as something I go to easily, right now its only easy if I'm struck by inspiration, which isnt all that useful for those situations where I have to grind a bit to find the inspiration.

Mixed results,tbh, which is why I changed tact and decided to put some enviros in me by doing some sketches from photos ( also not scanned)

This helped a touch, but I ended up with a bunch of the same problems as usual- I concentrate more on the technicality of getting the image down than using it to tell a story. Need to do me some more enviro speed sketches, big time >.

So, I went for a walk, got all inspired by random little bits of grafitti and nature, and decided I should really focus on the characters if I want to nail this.

Sooo, I grabbed some images from my ref folder and took to drawing on them. I've done this before, with boxes, trying to fit them into the perspective of the photo background. This time I decided I'd do it with people. I had intended on these being uber proportionate etc, but again that kinda distracts from the point that these dudes really just need to fit and tell a story while they're there, even if its just basic.

Getting worried about technical stuff did drag me down in the end, as ever, but this was an interesting exercise which I may try again .

( And this was waayy harder than it looks, at first, I got into the swing of it, before I froze up about realistic proportions etc again. Need to sort that problem.)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It feels like its been an age since I last did some fast studies from photo like this, Im ruustty.

Usually when I do these I just do them as fast as I can without worrying about the time, and the results tend to look like the first one- a blobby panicked mess. This time I gave myself a 20 min limit and the results were far more encouraging. Perhaps a little too cautious in many respects tho.. I'm going to keep doing 20-30 min ones until I stop freaking out about that limit, then try to narrow it down to 15, 10, 5.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quick portrait from ref, didnt time it precisely, 10 mins probably. (Its not great, for sure, its kinda late now and I needed to get at least one thing done.)

My confidence is growing lately, but I still have a little more to figure out before I'm there. I have to keep reminding myself that if I sit on my skills forever I'll never get out of UI, but mostly that like...I have more skills than I think I have, I have more personal IP than I give myself credit for ( Thinking ' oh its been done now' because I sat on some things for too long is the WORST.), and I really should do something about that instead of hoping for an angel to rescue me.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    020812 bots - Pub drawing. I dunno how I got onto these, I wasnt exactly in directed art mode, but I like it when I go to this place, its good to remember what you find fun.

Sometimes its easy to be too harsh on onesself for doodling, I've told myself this many a time, but then I got too lax on myself and only doodled, never did real drawing.

Right now? I still doodle more than I do the real thing, I do need to change that, its a case of habit shifting.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Studies from yesterday, I decided to have a stab at this weeks EOW (#194- Fleeing the sandstorm), but its been a while since I last did environments so I stumbled a little in my approach. Ideally I would have finalised my idea yesterday after some study, but I went out and did a little meteor watching instead.

Kinda need to sort out my priorities though, I'm still not happy with some things in life atm.

(Edit- these are the studies from ref, the EOW thread is here- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=245982 )
    Last edited by ALH; August 12th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    Great works I really like your take on Gary Oak and the dragons

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast