Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works I really like your take on Gary Oak and the dragons

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love, love your creatures, they're so lively and fleshy!
    those dragons hit all of my dragon art feels

ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys .

Bit of a sneaky peek as to the stuff I'm up to that I wont be posting in public for a while yet today. Its not work/NDA stuff, I just want to sit on it for a bit while I figure things out, so I dont dilute the final thing.

Part of it involves human characters,which as you've seen here previously, I do do, but I've never really done a proper character study with them before, they're always just anatomical play. I did do humans on TWB, but those were 'troops', more like costume than character design.

Anyways, I kinda feel like I can approach this kind of challenge now, knowing that its still early days in many ways, but that I have enough behind me to feel comfortable playing with shapes, like I could put out something decent, even if its not pushing as hard or as fluently as I want to in a year from now.

Today was testing that a little, I noticed that I dont really put colour/form onto my stylised humans that much, not since I started to push them in a more 'Disney' direction, at least, which is worrying, because if they dont work when suggesting 3D, they're useless.

I had a bit of a worry when I first slapped shade on this dude, I was a little too enthusiastic with his eyes and they ended up looking huge and way too close together. It made me panic that all this time I've been doing characters which look absolutely terrible ( or at least, not how I want them to look), and I didnt notice because I never tired to make them 3D.

But nah, after toning it down a bit, I think this dude is ok. A bit wonky, but not the disaster I was scared of.

This is super fun. I need to do this more.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    021012 American Werewolf in London - (40m)

Lets get some halloweeny dailies on the go, and by halloweeny I mean all the horror fanart.

I'll probably revisit this movie again later cuz I love it.

Feels like the aspect ratio here isnt helping it. Most of my time was fixing things which could have been avoided with a better base sketch, could have afforded myself more attention to detail in places, but anyhoo.

Name:  021012 AWIL sm .jpg
Views: 437
Size:  240.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Messing about on a sketch from last week. It feels like I went lazy on this, some of the lines arent to a standard I like, and the colours are way overblown.

Both things I blame on cintiq, alongside my 'its after work and im kinda tired/possibly coming down with something' style lazy. The lines are because, frankly, the thing likes to take guesses as to how much pressure Im trying to use, and then ignores that and makes things bold or fat anyways. The colour is because evidently I dont have it calibrated correctly, but then I know my laptop is terrible, and I dont know which to trust, but that doesnt matter if everyone else sees this as way more overblown than it should be.

ggaaahh!

I dont want to get rid of the cintiq, because I really notice the difference now, and going back to an intous at work is painful, but holy hell does it bring up a whole host of other new problems.

Also, this was supposed to be a rendering study, but I turned it into 'my style' by drawing random outlines on it because Its fun, and I needed some artfun ;-;. I'll do a proper study later, I guess!

Theres also some stuff with the silhouette which I'm not happy about, and oh man. It is one of those times where I notice how me being loose only serves to mess with me later, which I guess is a lesson I need to learn from, or at least start to learn from again. One step at a time. I know people are gonna tell me not to be hard on myself, but I do need to sort my self discipline, too much and I choke, not enough and I dont feel like I'm doing the best I can!

Name:  egyptsm.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  511.3 KB

Last edited by ALH; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I really gotta get back in the habit of posting here!

This weekend I've been taking a look at monkeys, both for the sake of easing myself back into proper observation after a fortnight of being super busy with non art things ( ! ) and also to get some fresh anatomy inside me cuz its been a while.

I had intended on trying to sketch down as many differently shaped monkeys as possible ( in order to figure out how the variations work) but I wasnt really connecting, so I focused on one type- the ' Uakari', which is a particularly expressive looking lil creature, due to its baldy head and big red face. I dont think I managed to capture one properly yet, I keep straying too far down generic monkey street, even when I'm trying hard to do it from the ref. A lot of ' dont draw what you think you see, draw what you actually see' mixed with being a bit silly and not checking out the skull of the animal til right at the end, which, of course! helped a heck of a lot with understanding the anatomy.

Told ya I was rusty, man. *shudder*

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  273.4 KBName:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  242.5 KBName:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  254.8 KBName:  Untitled-4.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  242.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to reconnect with some other approaches to art via old exercises this week. This sheet of items was from earlier in the year- they are props which I wanted to feel like belongings, so you can get an idea of who the owner was, rather than them being random junk you find just because. What I didnt count on was how tedious it is to do this kinda thing when I'm not trying to push them in a cartoony direction ( at least, not graphic toony), but it is teaching me two things

1: A little self discipline RE style
    2: Next project I do will involve a lot of this kinda thing, and oh god, im not gonna make it all cans and mugs, cuz theyre SO BORING. I dont think thats the kind of thing which would ever need concepting TBH, in this context theyre there more for a 'what would these guys own?' than a 'what would these guys own which would be of note?' - but I'm gonna try and paint em all for the practise. (AND SELF PUNISHMENT)

Still WIPey, been busy tonight so didnt get much done, these shouldnt take me long though.

Name:  props2-smartbig2-wip.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  310.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  lady compare.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  258.3 KB

Genuinely blowing my own mind tonight. I remember thinking I was pretty rad with the 2008 one, like ' yeah I can do cartoony, its no biggy' - and its the first time I used something similar to what became (and evolved from) Tweetlord style. I didnt think comparing the two would be so dramatic D:.

Anyways, the new one is super, super sloppy in places because I didnt take care of my linework - they were clean at first but I did it in a messy way, and when it came to alpha-ing away the junk everything went jaggy and blah, which messes things up a bit. I can do way better on the presentation side of things, but I've surprised myself a bit in terms of shapes and stuff, by comparison to the last time I did a grotty old woman at least!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketchdump time, its been a while. Some varied stuff in here, evil monkeys, more old women. I really, really should have taken these characters through to something final, no excuses, just poor time management.

Its kinda feeling like I'm going round in circles lately, too much pressure on some areas, not enough on others.

Name:  monkeys1.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  381.5 KBName:  Untitled-6.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  503.1 KBName:  Untitled-10.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  489.7 KBName:  Untitled-12.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  310.8 KBName:  Untitled-8web.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  410.3 KBName:  Untitled-1sm.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  258.5 KBName:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  143.6 KBName:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  388.2 KB

Last edited by ALH; November 25th, 2012 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got more stuff I could scan for this SB, but I'll leave it for now cuz I wanna get more stuff done. Having a pretty hectic month ( which December isnt?! ) so I've fallen behind a bit in terms of keeping a good art flow going, but I'm not really worried, because its to be expected round this time of year. Todays sketches are loosely related to what is kind of an unofficial long-term personal project at the moment, every chance I get to sketch and doodle I've been trying to theme it in a certain direction, with hopes that it will feel natural when I try to push myself harder to try a more disciplined approach.

I've found that sitting down and saying ' today I will do X!' is kinda hard when I get back from work and all I really wanna do is mess about, over doing it as if I was given a concept to do at work, perhaps thats a good thing, I dunno.

Anyways, these sketches I am and am not happy with, I like the looseness, but that wasnt exactly the approach I wanted to take today, guess thats just how it works out sometimes. I guess I'm also still kinda intimidated by drawing humans, at least in a shape pushing capacity, I leap in there too quickly and try to go for weird shapes or expression instead of thinking about anatomical shape/expression. Salvageable from a thumbnail POV, but I do just need to keep on pushing.

Gonna spend this evening putting some photoshop on one of them, for the sake of establishing a good habit.

Name:  ladies-sm.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  476.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to set myself a little game-jam esque challenge over the xmas period, theme is Xmas-ish, deadline is january-ish. No actual game will be made as I'm not a coder ( though I did ponder mocking something up in flash) - more pitch.

The concept is this- you are a delicious goddamn turkey who dreams of ending up in a Curry. Alas, for you are destined for a traditional Xmas dinner, and time is counting down til the big day. ESCAPE, CHOOSE YOUR FATE!

Name:  turkey col single glasses 2.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  507.9 KB

I kinda overworked this for what it is, using game jam logic I completely messed it up by taking SO much time on it, but i've really needed the digital warmup so I didnt slide into my default COLOURED LINES EVERYWHERE!!! style. Dont think this is the final look, at all, I need to find something speedier, and a little softer - which involves getting back in touch with some of my other brushes, methinks.

I dont know if it bugs me that I didnt really push shapes etc here, thats something to explore tomorrow. At the moment its feeling a bit like...' oh, its a turkey, congrats I guess?' and I think I can probably do more with it. He isnt exactly gesticulating here either, so its not clear that he is supposed to be an animate thing that will be jumping and rolling around his environment either.

Once I get this guy nailed the rest will bounce off him, its all good.

Name:  turkeysketches.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  405.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those chicken gestures crack me up to no end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks nodeerskulls

Not much to post here atm, partly because I've fallen outta the habit thanks to CA.org being up and down inconsistantly at the start of the year, partly because eeevveerryytthhiinngg is changing for me atm, and while I am still sketching, I've been too busy to get anything scanned etc. I gueessss I can shove up a monkey I was playing with the other week for the sake of having SOMETHING.

So, I'm moving out, and moving on, new job starting soon, very cool, but cant concentrate or really go into much on that yet because I still have loads to do at CA ( even if I only have 7 working days left now !

My main problem of late is that I've been working so solidly at work that when I get in, drawing is the absolute last thing I want to do - and because the stuff I'm doing at work is mostly autopilot asset grinding, when I get back to my sketchbook I'm simultaneously repulsed and massively uninspired.

It used to be when I got back I was so angry and frustrated that I would sketch with glee just to get it out, but I'm doing way more actual drawing ( as in having to have a very steady hand and doing good lines) than I did in my last role within CA, its just not 'art' in terms of expression, and it kinda fuddles things up.

I do have an inkling that this is just a temporary dip though, which is being exacerbated by me knowing that if I lay low and dont get myself hyped up or frustrated about not being able to do the exact art I want to be doing right this moment, these remaining few days will go by waayy faster. ( Plus I dont wanna leave on a bum note)

As for where I head next...I've got my fingers crossed that I'll get to be way more creative, but I'm not letting myself expect more than what I have already, because its easier to act professional that way, I think. For now. >_>

Anyways, have a monkey. A horrible side effect of all of this fuss lately is that i've been too far away from concepting and keep forgetting how to do it, or what I need to think about for iteration and exploration. I know I know it, I just forget that I know it sometimes, and this monkey dude is me trying to remind myself, I guess. Its NOTHING compared to what I could do when I was in the right mindset, but I cant cry about that now, I just have to rebuild it. Hopefully my new job will let me do that.

Name:  munky iterations.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  255.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big dump of recent stuff, I really haven't had much time for scanning OR sketching lately, what with moving and packing and dealing with all that. Now I'm all moved in, start my new job tomorrow. aack.

Once I get my groove back on, seems my next personal study subject matter is gonna be gravitating towards the 'human' side of things, perhaps a few more nods to horses here and there. I gotta learn more hairstyles, and take a look at fashions, feeling a bit like theres a lot to play with there if I look at it in more detail.

Attached Images Attached Images                            

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wanted to refer to the same post as diamandis did. wild stuff. i like it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys

Well, I dont think I announced it here specifically, but I totally started my new job last week, and the job is at Rare, which is pretty much my dream studio, and ties this sketchbook in quite a neat little bow, I think, as the kick up the ass to get this started came from someone who is now one of my bosses :p.

Not that I'm done with the sketchbook, of course (though CA.org being so 'lets move servers lol bugs!' all the damn time has certainly put me off relying on this sketchbook for any kinda long term 'lets post every day' style support...). The good news is is that my ass is being kicked into gear. I was starting to get a little lost and complacent back there, but now its like, the game has changed, and I am pumped as heck. Huge difference between 'well, I needed a job blah' and 'I have been trying to get here since 2008 D:' and I would be in like, utter disbelief at my luck if I told my past self I would be here now. I think it probably still hasnt fully sunk in on that level because I've still not felt like bouncing off the walls, more like a big with a dose of chilled out ' ok but seriously now, lets make a game here workworkworkwork '.

Either way all of this has an awesome knock on effect on my personal attitude to art and life in general, albiet one that I'm still wrapping my head around currently .

That said, have a little exercise. Did a buncha super loose sketches from a hair magazine at the weekend as an easing back into art, usual stuff. Then something happened this week that hasn’t for quite a while – I thought of ways to turn what was a bit of a rote brute force you-will-draw-today-dammit exercise into an interesting one - namely, taking these loose sketches that otherwise would have been chucked on the pile and actually doing something with them, having a bit of fun. Its not so much an innovative suggestion really, but this shows how strung out and drained I've been feeling until recently.

Name:  Layer-1fin-progress-sm.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  460.5 KB

I figured this base sketch looked a bit like an evil garden and/or forbidden forest statue, and so that is what she became. Gonna try and approach different faces from the set and play with those too - this would have been a task for the whole week but I've spent most of my evenings knackered for various reasons, derp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, congrats on joining Rare. Is this in the UK, or do they have offices in other countries too?

A little rendering makes any drawing automatically more impressive, I've realized. We're suckers for it. You might've already seen the famous example of this artist's paintings of children's drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, yeah, the monster engine is impressive stuff. Rendering and giving a little more form to a thing are different, mind, i noodled about a bit on the ladyface cuz im getting used to my cintiq again, but other than that this is still pretty much some basic shadows with a texture dolloped on top, its been a while since i sat and worked on rendering something for hours, last example was the pencil version of the PSO dragon i think. Adding depth to a drawing can save it for sure tho- or kill it if you messed up your shapes @-@

And yeqh, Rare are UK only, tho they did work with bigpark on kinect sports2, and theyre in the US

Goddamn typos everywhere, android hates me and the new ca site...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgive my typos and lack of images in this post as I type this at 5am on an iPod.

It feels like I'm going about things wrong lately. My attitude to art isn't tinged with the "oh god this reminds me too much of what I do at work all day uuggghhhhh :-(((" stuff that it has done for a while, but I still have this lingering self pressure thing which is messing with my approach to personal art.

When I joined CA I was coming off the back of a period when all I did was draw all day, making new exercises and doing CA.org contests etc to keep me going. I kinda had a period of "fuckit, I do what I want!" Where I went nuts and had fun filling a sketchbook with all manner of cartoony animal and such. It was fun, I did some cool drawings.

Problem now is that that is weighing on me, I keep sitting down like "oh, I have a cool idea, lets draw it!" Then I pressure myself to be awesome and collapse before I even start and run to excessive, overly loose studies to back myself up. Then the studies are all I've done, but its practically like in one ear out the other cuz I'm in such a rut that the studies I do are kinda overly samey.

I know I can get outta this if I try to work smart (not just hard) but man is it frustrating...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure what advice to offer. You're way ahead of me in career and ability, and I've never been in a position where I have to draw all day for work, and then come home and draw more. I'd assume I'd be way less inclined to draw on my own time if I was getting in plenty of practice at work. Unless I really hated what I was doing there.

Otherwise, you sound a little like me: stuck inside your own head, over-thinking and over-worrying. Why not take a break from personal stuff for a little while? You just got a cool new job. Relax for a bit. Do something else. People need downtime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a weird one, there's a difference between drawing all day and coming up with solutions or expressing ideas tho. I was drawing all day on my last job but only really in the sense that my hand was moving And shapes were coming out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posted these on my blog last night, shoving em here for posterity. Stuff like the ears bugs me, but I was evidently so tired last night that I didnt act on them. Gradually gotta get used to my new lifestyle so stuff like that doesnt happen so regularly!

Name:  hairface-2a.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  126.6 KBName:  hairface-2sketch.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  182.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  fishking 800.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  310.0 KB

Videogame ass fish.

Insert cintiq12wx based rant here. Sick of so many things about it. Need an intous. Need to be paid first >_>...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  WP_20130403_001.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  440.8 KB

Lemur study. I'm kinda horrified about this one, placed the ref on top of it in PS to see how far off I was- most of the parts kinda sit in the right area in one way, but are horrifically skewed in another, like, eyes too close together, nose too flat etc. I thought perhaps me working with the page at a flat angle was messing with things ( That ol' convenient and horribly nooby mistake ) but mostly I think its just me being super rusty.

This has kinda helped though, a bit, spending time noodling with a pencil. I've felt so outta touch with structure of late. Something tells me I'm going to have to draw a lemur head 100 times until I 'get' it, but thats cool, along the way I'll probably 'wake up' and remember all my little tricks, then play with them, and whee.

It worries me that I cant instantly do a sketch and be incredible though, like, I expect it of myself without having put in as much work as I need to, which is bullshit. When I see a pro portfolio or something and its like, shit man, this is the kind of person I need to be to get where I wanna go, I need to be there INSTANTLY!. Common art fears! Damn them, but I do know better >.

I mean, even though I'm kinda here in terms of studio, its like...I'm here on the bottom step, still a long ways to go, kinda thing. Dispelling the rut I'm in atm is stage one.

Thinking of my past self like some kind of super art jesus is another thing which can fuck off, there was a certain confidence which I lost last year, but I wasnt THAT shit hot to mourn my own skills as much as I do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont much know what to do with this thread now, CA is really inconsistent in whether it wants to be up or down or let me post, and I'm guessing its the same with everyone else. Part of me doesn't mind the idea of keeping this sketchbook, part is like ' bugger it, CA isn't worth it anymore'. Its not like I really contribute outside of this thread anyways >_>.

Either way I've shifted to making more regular posts on my blog/folio instead, so yup. If anyone reading this knows a quick way to archive a thread so I have this SB if/when CA goes down again, I'd love to hear about it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's an old Internet rule: never announce that you're leaving a message board forever, because doing so pretty much guarantees that you'll end up coming back and then looking silly. It applies more to people who are storming off after losing a flame war or whatevs, but still, it's a good rule of thumb.

As for saving, well, you've only got 17 pages in your SB. You could hit Ctrl/Cmd+S for each one individually.

Also, yes, the art fears you mentioned in the lemur post are indeed common. Our brains are out to make us feel terrible.

Last edited by diamandis; April 16th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @diamandis Truth, because here I am replying, heh, but actually uploading involves so much more fluff and nonsense with saving for web where I can just shove anything onto my personal blog because I'm not so fussed about space. But then maybes thats a necessary evil :p.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have no idea if people still visit here, or if this place has stopped being so unreliable on the server side... but I'm back, for now. I have nowhere else to talk art and it's doing my head in a bit.

Every time I ask people for feedback on my stuff people tell me I'm a great artist, and I dont know if I'm asking in the wrong way or am asking the wrong people the wrong things. Its kinda irritating because I know I'm not THAT good. And even if I am THAT good, I clearly am lacking in discipline, folio chops, variety, confidence or SOMETHING which is stopping people from hiring me as a concept artist. I could make quite a big list of things which I need to put in my portfolio to really sell myself better, and hell, I could make a HUGE list of artists who are way better than me, but I digress, for now I'm just trying to discipline myself into better habits again.

Name:  bodies 041113 sm.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  124.5 KB

So the first thing I'll upload is an exercise I've been doing tonight. I intend to do some proportionate character stuff for my folio but am a little rusty, especially at drawing digitally (which doesn't feel nice on my laptop screen,can't afford a decent art monitor atm.) Did the first more squat character as a test, turned the layer off and did some study from mannequins in my sketchbook ( I'm planning on going for more of a stock body shape than something interesting for the sake of clarity )came back to it for the second two. Still need to work on my head/neck proportions, bodies can be a little off and it doesn't make much of a difference, but get the head/neck wrong and your character goes from adult to child to skull awkwardly floating on a stub pretty fast.

It feels kinda awkward because between now and the last time I wrote here I really found my flow with stylised humans- I can abstract them with the same confidence as I can animals now, but I kinda feel I owe it to myself to do a whole lot more sedate stuff for the sake of portfolio.

Perhaps I'm wrong and should go for it full throttle with stylised/semi-real stuff, we'll see. I also really need to approach environments/props again at some point, but that's more of a secondary priority atm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back. (See? Told you.)

Did Rare not work out?

Deciding what skills to build up depends entirely on what kind of concept work you want to do. Are you tired of cartoony or are you just not finding jobs that'll hire you for cartoony?

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 157