Sketchbook: ALHs Creatures, Cartoon & Crypt Character Compendium - Page 16

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Busy week/weekend last week, these sketches are from then. My scanner really doesnt like these as the lines are not all that bold, which sucks ass when I do this in pencil, my sketchbook doesnt scan that well in these situations.

So, some rocks, some girls, and a lil digital thing at the end from yesterday. Scraping together the seeds of exploring a project properly.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    140512 Gary Oak

Re-imagining of Gary Oak from Pokemon. This is janky, anatomy, etc, not had enough time to warm up today ( had other things I needed to do) and wanted to play with technique so I forced myself to put up with the bad bits rather than noodle until they were good.

I guess the good thing about this is that it shows where I suck in a pinch, at least, when I've not drawn humans for a while.

Getting a bit pissed that my monitor and cintiq still say different things here, but thats not really whats important, whats important is that I *really* need to start to take concept art seriously, and I dont fucking know why I've let myself slip this bad.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Holiday Home' -Lunchtime paintin (45mins)

I kinda felt like I had a good approach to this one, I very much threw pretence and expectation in the bin and just tried to show a basic scene, and THEN layered some little bits on top. I feel like I'm gaining better control of my marks in speed/enviro/3D space now too, its way more about the horizontal and the vertical than organic stuff, which is almost always about the gesture.

One thing I do need to pay attention to next time is tonal contrast, I really should have used my last minute or so to whack on a multiply layer instead of messing about with colour. Priorities!

It does kinda feel like this should've taken less time than it did, I guess there was still a bit of a leap from ' uuhh, what do I want to do today' and ' no, dont be a pain, just do something simple'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just love your gallery!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks

Nother Pokemon character - This time, Jessie from Team Rocket, via like, an insane Giesha.

This was MAD fun.

The style here is a little more what you'd expect, I was concentrating more on the shapes and lines than the last one. There are some style rule inconsistencies here which boil down to me being kinda tired by the time I finished, which I'll iron out at some other point.

Kinda knackered tonight, cintiq is more tiring than regular tablet, different sitting pose + more eye strain, oh man. I gotta fix that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Todays Discipline. I've always been a head-drawer, and it really takes some slaps to get rid of that mindset and focus on accurate studies at times. These...arent that bad, the angles of the legs (the bit which is arguably the most important in a chair) are almost exact to the ref, the rest, bad dog no biscuit. Doing this kind of thing requires a technical mindset which I know I have, because I can model in 3D, but which I fail to utilise at times. Its just angles, its not hard, it just requires concentration beyond the whim of my head-draw doodlebrain.

These took longer than they ever should have, I still really need to work on my technical mindset. I know I can do it, its really not hard, especially considering my stuff is kinda graphic anyways - I've just not had enough practise, always been organic/mood minded which...well, anatomical proportion is a different fish to manufactured angles and curves, it naturally allows for the kind of variability which stops man made objects from working.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    170512 - Castles - Doodling in the pub, started to get my architecture on with a kiddy felt tip.

Angry though. I slid into my comfort zone and forgot what it is to do the Dark Souls of art. Now need to ban myself from cartoony fun.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a week off ( yey!) so I'm gonna use it to try and sort out a bunch of my arty problems.

One issue I've been having lately is that because I've been away from concept art for so long ( and 'dailies'/speedpaints do not, in any way shape or form, count as concept art - 'concept art' is a design process ) - that I'm out of practise when it comes to moving through the stages.

For the sake of example, my process on Tweetlord was -

Thumbnails +Decision making
    Base
    Iterations +Decision making
    Colour +Decision making
    Final
    Presentation

My process lately has kinda been more...

Messy Thumbnails
    Colour all the thumbnails
    Coloured thumbnails count as finals, right?

This wasnt my process on TWB, my process there was a little closer to the Tweetlord way of doing things, albeit truncated for various reasons.

Point is...somewhere along the line I got kinda precious about my thumbs. Part of that is because I end up falling in love with my own scribbly gestures, part of that is because if I'm in the right frame of mind I can bash out thumbs which might as well BE base images.

And thats not a quality thing, thats an idea thing. And its pretty easy to forget that IDEA is not the same as QUALITY, and vice versa.

But I mean...thats nice n all, but it doesnt apply to every situation - not by a long shot- and on top of that, its pretty easy to lose all self confidence if your process omits the part where you actually draw good.

And I dont mean like ' baww I suck at drawing', I mean like ' Oh man I am really not showing people what I can do here '

Not too long ago I was chasing artists like Nico Marlet, wanting to be like that. More recently I've been chasing like...'not being shit', like, just for the sake of not being shit. Which is like...ok, congrats, you reached the hefty lofts of 'not being shit', but is that random ass pirate or spider or whatever, its kinda nice, I guess, but could that shit dance with the pros? Could it fuck. And thats not because it wasnt technically good, thats not where I should be worrying, technical prowess is just a tool...and yet for some reason thats where I HAVE been worrying.

And this is a recent thing too, I was pushing myself fine even when I was super depressed. Nope, its something else which has ruined me. I'm not going to try and talk my way through that here because its something too big for CA.org, but..yeah.

So I'm gonna double post this because I'd rather keep essay#2 alongside its art. For now, heres a seed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K, so, I set myself the task of redesigning the Dragon boss from PSO. I chose this dude because ..I like PSO.

Dude has a pretty distinctive (but simple) body shape which has enough space to really push him and see where I can take his design, with a focus on avoiding being tempted to change the silhouette too much. The original dragon being kinda stylised for the sake of a lower poly model also gives a bit of leeway to push towards the graphic *or* towards the 'realistic'.

As I mentioned in the previous post, Im kinda rusty in my outlook atm, so I approached this from a bit of a stabbing blindly POV before I started to get into the flow.

K, so first I did a page of poor thumbs as an attempt to define the silhouette, except, I already know this dudes silhouette- proportions can change, but at the end of the day theres not much I can actually say with a thumbnail, any changes to this dude (for now) will be surface or attitude based.

So I did a sketch of the original dragon (first image). Its proportions and shape are a little different to the dragon in PSO, but as a base, it kinda shows everything you need to know - spikes, horns, massive feet, double tail, done.

From there I tried a 'softer' version. Fur, bit rounder, hair, etc. Pretty much immediately after I did this dude I thought it wasnt soft enough and I could push that and really see where to go with it - a creative hunger which I havent felt for a long time- but hey man, this is kind of a thumbnail, lets move on.

Next is a guy who looks like a sad fish dragon. I had fun playing with the shading on this dude, but I didnt let myself finish because...hheeeyyyy this is supposed to be a thumbnail! Lets move on.

Next is a guy who I guess has mammal features? It was at this point that I really started to cotton on that I was approaching these with a seriously unstructured way of thinking. I still kinda dig him, but when things start to feel random, thats not good.

Just to concrete in that sense of random I did like a 'baby' version which I decided to shade because shading is fun. My lack of discipline is atrocious :p.

So then I went back to thumbnails. Except, as I mentioned earlier, I dont really want to change the structure of the dragon much, I know what he is and doing small thumbs for the sake of small thumbs is kinda a waste of time when you have absolutely no freakin self direction.

From here I decided I needed to try and hunt for direction via quick brush pen head sketches. In the past, doing heads has been a useful way to get in the mindset of shape pushing, because once you've got one down, its easy to ban yourself from doing that same drawing again.

I did like, 4 pages of these. The fact that most of them on page 1 are dull as heck even compared to the stuff I did at the start of this is kind of part of the process of me not giving myself much time to think here- these really are thumbnails. Once again, my lack of self direction is kinda baffling, I dont really get how thats a skill I've lost, because I've done this exact exercise previously, as a freakin job ( albeit unpaid ) and had more self control, I guess I've just been away from it for too long.

You can kinda see as these progress that theres definitely a point where I went 'fuckit' and they start to go a little less 'safe'. I'm gonna call that my Animex moment, because I started to think back to tips I've been given over the years and was like....ok, I am being WAY too safe here - and just that, just taking off the lifejacket- that kinda unleashed the dragon, as it were. Some of the mental ones go TOO mental, but as they say...the mental ones are at least in a direction, and I could take like one of the creepy ass skeleton ones and apply that to the base shape no bother now that I've actually went there and reminded myself that thats a place to go.

Am I happy, I mean, am I done? Not really, I've stirred my imagination a little, but I still have some coffee to drink if I really want to wake it up and give it a good stretch.

I just cant believe I let it fall asleep in the first place.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from today - logical conclusion of the PSO dragon stuff from Sunday, and some birdy doodles from this morning. I have some turtle studies which I did between the two to get me into anatomical mode, but I havent scanned em yet.

Dragon itself needs some tweaks in PS, the scanner didnt really do it justice. Took me a few hours, I could prolly half that, my initial approach was flawed. Not too happy with anatomical stuff either, but thats moans for another day.

Pencils are fun

Actually starting to wonder if me calling myself shit all the time is like, making a mockery of people who think I'm not shit, I've had a couple of instances today where I've said things to that effect accidentally, and...yeah. Food for thought.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revisited the PSO dragon stuff, because I dont think the pencil version really nailed it, bland shapes etc. Did a couple of sketches this morning, painted one up tonight, much more satisfied.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say you have a really awesome sketchbook been a real pleasure to look through. really like the dragon post 460 so beautifully rendered. One thing stands out to me and that is that his/her lol lower body and upper body are at two complete different angles, I know he is meant to be turning but i think the scales need to reflect that twist with a more transitional change in direction from lower body through to his neck. At the moment the shift in direction is a bit sudden. keep smashing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks . Youre right, and There are many, many things wrong with that rendered dragon tbh, I just kinda drew it without really thinking then got carried away with rendering over the top- it was a very fun learning exercise, but rendering aside I don't really dig him. Hopefully now I should be less of a wuss about rendering something which I actually know is a better drawing !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lunchtime sketchup - 30mins "Mushroom Hunting". Practise practise practise practise

I keep bringing inspirational books which I want to use for the day into work, leaving them there, then coming home wanting to use them. But if I dont bring them in with me, I come home thinking about other things...So much derp.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Nice creatures loving the last one looks very poetic. Looking forward to seening the finished version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks . Alas, there wont be a finished one for a while yet as I'm trying to work on my visualisation, rendering stuff is on hold for now. I'm considering rounding up the best of this kind of thing for some point nearer to the end of the year though, possibly.

Todays image was a bit of a flop. I seem to do a good one now and then which gets my confidence up, then the next one falls super flat. Part of the trouble of this one was that I worked out a basic composition ( which admittedly was stupidly flat) and then randomly decided to work into places which I hadnt planned on working into, like a noob.

What I did notice today is that this stuff is HARD. I think up until now I've assumed it should be effortless, because its not like I've never drawn trees and rocks before, why the heck would it be a problem to arrange them in a box? Then I've got mad at myself for not being able to do something which I think should be easy, even though I've never really found it easy cept for those few times when I was having a good art day - But nope. Its kinda rock solid, and I have much respect for the dudes who manage to make this stuff look effortless. I guess I should probably look back at the first few pages of my own sketchbook at the stuff I struggled with then which I *do* find comparatively effortless now for a bit of perspective as to how much work it takes to get anywhere.

Worrying moment earlier also when I was showing someone Tweetlord and I noticed how crusty some of those birds are looking nowadays. I REALLY need to do a sweep of my folio and get some more up to date stuff in there. I have a slight ego thing (I think all artists get it now and then) which I need to beat back about those birds, I'm proud of them but they're not my freaking lifelong mealticket, they're not THAT good.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    200612 Glubots - Bots wot glue stuff. 3 isnt enough! Too late for more. Got distracted by a convo which turned out to be somewhat enlightening.

This is the first time in a long while where i've just gone at it and not let ref or worry dictate my workflow, breath of fresh air tbh. Need more of this!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really enjoying your sketchbook *O* I really love all the creative and neat monsters you've got going on here. Seeing them in the beginning of this sketchbook, and then towards the end is neat to see the awesome improvements in everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks

Things to ponder here. Was flicking through images from 'tekkonkinkreet ', looking at exactly what they were doing for me, and noted how I could do similar - how at times I kinda HAVE done, just never when I'm forcing it.

Its the sense of place, and how like...I know I can take that from within me, I know there are places in there, I've tapped into it before, I just have to work a little harder to find that spark. ( Being more awake would help also, obviously!)

I havent captured any of that here because what they did is actually really hard, and I only started to 'get' it partway through before deciding its a lil too late to continue. But hmm. I got stuff to think about.

No doubt if I had focused on this this morning I could've iterated myself into some good stuff by now, but thats how it goes with art sometimes. ( Plus I had work :p)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lunchtime rat dude, 30-40 mins. I kinda stumbled when I was doing the colour, multiply layer = evil, gotta practise my approach so I can do this faster. Also gotta study some more shapes, everything I do is kinda natural- which is cool, but I'm interested in seeing what happens when I mix it up a bit..

Last edited by ALH; June 27th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So yeah, I broke the middle finger on my left hand about a month ago. Did I even mention it here? Evidently not . Its effected me in as much as...its hard to hold a book, I cant really do some keyboard shortcuts now (though I adapted to that pretty quickly) I cant really play videogames, and sometimes it hurts so much that I cant really concentrate on much.

That, and a family holiday, and some secret stuff I wont post here yet, is why my sketchbook has ran dry- I'm still pumping away at things, even if I have a ways to go til I reach full capacity ( And I prolly wont reach it while I have a broken finger, even if it is a nicely painful reminder that I need to sort my life out) , Im feeling more like myself as an artist lately

Todays entry consists of some skull study, some random faces and an attempt to explore Frankenstein's monster. The task I set myself was to try and do a version of the monsters head that retained some of its clichés, but push the shapes into something interesting, as a means for practising my stylised humans. I cant say I really satisfied myself wholly there, I'd kinda need some more research etc to really find the solution, though there are a couple of them which I dig.

Kinda feel like I need to level up my game by taking this stuff a hell of a lot more seriously, but thats something I have to do gradually because a one off overnight change never sticks.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More from this morning, lil more satisfying

40. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need to practise how I approach rendering/colour more, this way is obviously stylised in one direction (The one I find fast/fun for pumping out lots of these without dwelling), gotta try some others for the sake of professional stuff.

These are also a bit flat, they look washed out on my laptop and a little richer on my cintiq. Ideally I'd spent a little more time on them giving depth, but I'm prolly better off picking one and bringing it through to something final tbh.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    160712 Beach

44. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    230712 Inner Demons- Quick idea with some variations on framing n stuff.

Realising lately the insane amount of effort an artist I've known for a long time now has put into his stuff, feelin LAZZYY, oh man. That kind of thing makes you want to strangle the person concerned, out of jealousy but mostly out of shame for your own poor show.

Her screen shows similar.

I wanna do more, but Its bedtime. Didnt spend long on these, but I gotta get faster so I can nail it before I submit this kinda thing.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today has been an exercise day. I've bigger creative stuff I need to do, but I really needed to put some of this in there first.

Todays exercise has been about characters in situations. My initial approach to this (which i still need to scan ) was a couple of days ago- I sometimes use posemaniacs to warm up, which is great for characters, but I never do an enviro/situation equivalent, so I set the countdown to 60 seconds and tried to get a gesture down and then make up a little background, or shove a prop in there. The idea is to try and get situational thinking as something I go to easily, right now its only easy if I'm struck by inspiration, which isnt all that useful for those situations where I have to grind a bit to find the inspiration.

Mixed results,tbh, which is why I changed tact and decided to put some enviros in me by doing some sketches from photos ( also not scanned)

This helped a touch, but I ended up with a bunch of the same problems as usual- I concentrate more on the technicality of getting the image down than using it to tell a story. Need to do me some more enviro speed sketches, big time >.

So, I went for a walk, got all inspired by random little bits of grafitti and nature, and decided I should really focus on the characters if I want to nail this.

Sooo, I grabbed some images from my ref folder and took to drawing on them. I've done this before, with boxes, trying to fit them into the perspective of the photo background. This time I decided I'd do it with people. I had intended on these being uber proportionate etc, but again that kinda distracts from the point that these dudes really just need to fit and tell a story while they're there, even if its just basic.

Getting worried about technical stuff did drag me down in the end, as ever, but this was an interesting exercise which I may try again .

( And this was waayy harder than it looks, at first, I got into the swing of it, before I froze up about realistic proportions etc again. Need to sort that problem.)

48. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It feels like its been an age since I last did some fast studies from photo like this, Im ruustty.

Usually when I do these I just do them as fast as I can without worrying about the time, and the results tend to look like the first one- a blobby panicked mess. This time I gave myself a 20 min limit and the results were far more encouraging. Perhaps a little too cautious in many respects tho.. I'm going to keep doing 20-30 min ones until I stop freaking out about that limit, then try to narrow it down to 15, 10, 5.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick portrait from ref, didnt time it precisely, 10 mins probably. (Its not great, for sure, its kinda late now and I needed to get at least one thing done.)

My confidence is growing lately, but I still have a little more to figure out before I'm there. I have to keep reminding myself that if I sit on my skills forever I'll never get out of UI, but mostly that like...I have more skills than I think I have, I have more personal IP than I give myself credit for ( Thinking ' oh its been done now' because I sat on some things for too long is the WORST.), and I really should do something about that instead of hoping for an angel to rescue me.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    020812 bots - Pub drawing. I dunno how I got onto these, I wasnt exactly in directed art mode, but I like it when I go to this place, its good to remember what you find fun.

Sometimes its easy to be too harsh on onesself for doodling, I've told myself this many a time, but then I got too lax on myself and only doodled, never did real drawing.

Right now? I still doodle more than I do the real thing, I do need to change that, its a case of habit shifting.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies from yesterday, I decided to have a stab at this weeks EOW (#194- Fleeing the sandstorm), but its been a while since I last did environments so I stumbled a little in my approach. Ideally I would have finalised my idea yesterday after some study, but I went out and did a little meteor watching instead.

Kinda need to sort out my priorities though, I'm still not happy with some things in life atm.

(Edit- these are the studies from ref, the EOW thread is here- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=245982 )

Last edited by ALH; August 12th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.