Painter 7 Sketching
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter 7 Sketching

Hi,

What tools do you guys use to sketch in Painter 7 to make it look more like a traditional sketch? I've tried using the various Pencil tools but somehow it makes the layer into a GEL layer and I'd have to press harder on my wacom to make any substantial marks. I've tried the scratch board tool but it makes these jagged lines.

Also, how do I load painter 6 brushes onto 7? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

home is where the heart is. mb if i had a heart id have home....
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i use the 2 b pencil setting, if you want more of a grit to the pencil then up the grain. i have my grain set to about 90-100% and then i have the pencils opactiy set down to a measly 3%.

also make sure the layer your working on is set to normal, not gel layer, ive noticed the damn app sets it on gel layer mysteriously and i have to set it back.

oops, also to add to this sometimes if you use the shrpern filter or tool in photoshop on your painter work it can bring out a different grain quality that seems more sharp and pencil like.

also ive experimented with things like scanning in art board and using it as a background to draw on in painter so the pencils look more at home./

Last edited by Wight Zombie; October 10th, 2003 at 08:28 AM.
    Fen Berserke Kirta Morta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much. I will try out your methods to see if I get better results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

A tip about Composite Method Normal:

Painter's "normal" or regular Composite Method is named Default.

To prevent problems that can occur when you want to Group and Collapse Layers, don't use the Composite Method named Normal.

Instead, use Composite Method Default.

This will not always be possible as Painter is intended to change the Layer's Composite Method to Gel for some brush variants, namely brush variants that use the Method: Buildup (see the Brush Creator's General section for Method and Subcategory).

It's particularly important for Water Color Layers to be set to Gel since the brushstrokes' white edges will show otherwise.

If you ever do run into a problem Grouping and Collapsing Layers set to Composite Methods other than Default, there are a few options to workaround this problem. Still, it's good to know in advance that the Collapse option will be greyed out if any Layers in the Group are set to a Composite Method other than Default. This includes Normal as well as the others.

Happy drawing!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 1