Highest paying artistic jobs...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Highest paying artistic jobs...

whats up
    let me start by saying that i dont think that money should be a driving force when it comes to art, im simply curious, so heres my question:

aside from starting your own business / opening up a design firm, what would you say is the most profitable artistic job?

like, for instance, how much does a concept artist usually make?

which job do you think basically has the most potential for the highest salary?
    fine artist? concept artist? graphic designer?

i went to college for graphic design and have been seriously into drawing for a while now....curiousity...i guess.. but in reality i want to make an assload of money doing something that im absolutely passionate about:cool: :chug:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to make an assload of money, you should either be extremely awesome at what you do (highly skilled, well-known, published, etc), or change into a non-art related field

Sadly the creative industry is not known as being particularly lucritive. In graphic design, expect to make $25k - $28k out of school and if it's six-figures you're looking to get, you better be an owner/partner of a firm. This chart can give you a decent idea of what the design industry is making these days. And it's my guess that graphic design is where the money is at compared to fine art and concept art.

However... if money is any part of your motivation to enter a particular field, you're not going to make much money. Your motivation should be to become exceptional at something that you love to do, and if you succeed at this then the money will follow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Architecture is the mot structured aritistic job.. pay your dues and/or find a niche and you're set.
    pay sucks at first... but once you get your licence and reputation you could make a lot

average billing rates for principles around here range from 150-300 per hour (you'd get about a third of it as pay)

avarage commitions on residential are 15% of construction cost (15% to the firm split between the arch and all his subs)

a 1 mill house is around 3-6 months work giving you 150k of which you spend 1/3 on enginiers and drafters and such

a 10 mill house is typically not significantly more work but rather better materials but you still get 15%..===1.5 mill..and you enginers bills dont get inflated by material cost so you keeep a larger proportion of the cut

but of course the more money you deal with the more of it will fall in the cracks..insurance, licence fees etc.

I love fishes they’re so delicious, let’s go fishes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    draw childish crap without realistic shapes and colors, become famous in the "modern art scene" and sell your "art" to bored buisinessmen and recieve highly endowed awards.

Did you hear about that female artist in England who recieved an award (50.000 f*cking pounds) for her piece "the unmade bed"?

guess what this "the unmade bed" is - an unmade bed.

Her comment to that: "I can live a while from this award since my art doesn't cost very much and is done quickly."

You can view "the unmade bed" in the Tate Modern Gallery, London.

cu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by cucaracha
    draw childish crap without realistic shapes and colors, become famous in the "modern art scene" and sell your "art" to bored buisinessmen and recieve highly endowed awards.

Did you hear about that female artist in England who recieved an award (50.000 f*cking pounds) for her piece "the unmade bed"?

guess what this "the unmade bed" is - an unmade bed.

Her comment to that: "I can live a while from this award since my art doesn't cost very much and is done quickly."

You can view "the unmade bed" in the Tate Modern Gallery, London.

cu

Art like that pisses me off.. but it is "ART" so its totally acceptable..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    industrial design can get you fat cash... if you land a good job of course, like at porsche....horse....sorry rhyming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the info
    that chart is great helix

being an owner/partner of a firm is, of course, a goal :cool:

but yea i agree, I always felt that if your work is also your passion, money will surely follow

hmmm i love architecture, but never really wanted to become an architect

and i havent seen 'the unmade bed' by that artist from England, its not on the gallerys site. but im sure its more than childish crap to her
    i do a little abstract expressionist art, purely for fun, its simply another form of expression --but cmon if someone wants to buy one are you not gonna sell it? even if it is just a black smear on a white canvas
    id take 50,000 pounds anyday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    carve a niche for yourself in the tattoo industry... my friend made 50k last summer alone. bastard. he is a good artist though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a growing interest in architecture, which I thought was an interest for mapping for games. It just seems, I like architecture.

The salaries aren't too high, but they're not extremely low, so I'm cool with that. I really enjoy art, so I don't care that I'm not a Bill Gates, so long as I can take care of myself and family down the road.:chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by sic1
    I really enjoy art, so I don't care that I'm not a Bill Gates, so long as I can take care of myself and family down the road.:chug:
    sounds good to me!
    cheers :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the key is to having other skill as well. not to many places are looking for artists, but if you know at least a working amount in maya or 3dmax you have a MUCH better chance of getting in and advancing. a few places will even teach you, if your good enough. a friend of mine who is working for cartoon network said that theyl train people as long as they had some notion of how to animate. " we have hundreds of artists aplying all the time, but only maybe a handful can draw a decent walk sequence"
    different companies also can advance people in different ways- my roomate (whos a producer at lucas arts) said that at EA they may pay more that Lucas, but youll be stuck in the same place forever..like "the guy who animates bat swings" forever...*shivers* dont listen to me though, i dont even HAVE a job.

" 'You might want to sit down..this is going to feel unpleasantly like being drunk'
    'Whats so bad about being drunk?'
    'Ask a glass of water' "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmpf, when I see the list of Helix I think of moving ... or better getting a new, better paid job. 75.000 $ for a job as AD in Graphic Desing would fit to me .

Fipse

<Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by satire
    the key is to having other skill as well. not to many places are looking for artists, but if you know at least a working amount in maya or 3dmax you have a MUCH better chance of getting in and advancing. a few places will even teach you, if your good enough. a friend of mine who is working for cartoon network said that theyl train people as long as they had some notion of how to animate. " we have hundreds of artists aplying all the time, but only maybe a handful can draw a decent walk sequence"
    That's good to hear, and I hope they would. I do wish to learn a 3d package or a couple. I figured I should get my 2d skills up to par first, since the basic principles can apply to 3d as well.

Originally posted by satire
    youll be stuck in the same place forever..like "the guy who animates bat swings" forever...*shivers* [/B]
    hahahaha!

:evilbat:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.