Thanks

My first freelance job starts Monday. Any advice?

Hi,

As the title states I am going to be given my first assignment on Monday. It's a single location concept for a Wii game. I am really excited (and scared) because this is going to be my first professional job ever! If anyone has any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks all!

Roger

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Don't screw up.

Actually, you'll do fine. Just remember to listen more than you talk. And don't be afraid to ask questions on anything you're not sure on.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have no experience so I can not tell you any advice, but I can say good luck!
    Check out My Sketchbook!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeless Foxman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Blow them away, and you just might get a second job.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DSillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Do whatever you promise to do, and deliver everything on time. Do changes to artwork if asked, and don't complain. Do your best and don't worry about the money.. things will work out once you put in a lot of hours and effort.

Good luck!
    Senior Concept Artist - BioWare

My opinions do not represent those of my employer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikko K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dont EVER promise to do something that you can't. This applies mainly to deadlines, but also in some cases to jobs where the skill required in beyond you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to aesir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Keep humble and listen. Be relaxed. Be organized. Show up promptly. Don't try to be funny. Talk mostly to ask necessary questions or to clarify some element of the project at hand. Deliver what you are being paid to deliver, no more, no less. If prompted for "dreams and goals" or "what kind of work do you normally do" give answers that relate to the job at hand and the possibility of getting more of the same.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. You've all made me feel more confident and given me some good insight in the questions I should ask. I appreciate it.

Thanks
    kev, why do you say don't try to be funny? being funny 24/7 is a good idea in my books, people enjoy your company more. I think you can make great jokes, as long as it is evident you are serious as well, about the work you are assigned to do.

not being funny isn't really a sign of profesionalism to be honest.

either way good luck!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congrats M8 and hopefully the working contract gives you some nice portfolio freedoms?
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You'll do fine pal I'm sure. Words of gold what MikkoK said! At this point don't think of money, but if same company is willing to hire you in future then you can ask more money or you'll be hired always because you are the 'cheapest'. And be prepared to drink a LOT of coffee as you might get hellowa lot of work to do with deadly deadlines.
    My first gig was with 1 day deadline and I had to do 3 characters 1 environment and guess what? I did that job all day and night, got to bed around 7am, slept couple of hours woke up and send my works. And I was said "if" my works would be used as there was 2 freelancers aside of me working with same concepts I could get 200euros. Worth it? Definetely not really, but what I learned or got from it was to show my skills!!! I did work with attitude like I was drawing for fun, for myself and got client name under my cv, same company is contacting me regularly and of course those 200€
    But remember you can do this kind of shit only couple of times or you'll do that shit rest of your life.
    All the good for ya and don't panic if you make mistakes, move on!! It will take the time to balance your career and shit, don't stress, take small pauses, eat well and remember to drink coffee of course ;D

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jokisalo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 907 Posts
    hmm, I dont know about teh dont be funny thing, thats pretty much how i keep long contacts by being on a more personal level. Other than that, follow the rest of the advice, its just always nice to let em know youre human
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    kev, why do you say don't try to be funny? being funny 24/7 is a good idea in my books, people enjoy your company more. I think you can make great jokes, as long as it is evident you are serious as well, about the work you are assigned to do.

not being funny isn't really a sign of profesionalism to be honest.
    A sense of humor is an odd thing, everyone's is different, and some people don't have one at all. You're probably better off holding back on the jokes with any new professional contact until you've developed a relationship. Kev said not to try to be funny; if you really are a funny person, it will come out naturally. But some people try to cover up nervousness with attempts at humor, which are almost always painful. You don't want your life to end up like an episode of the Office.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 907 Posts
    haha, yea that last comment is very true, always gotta watch the personality of the client first... Best established over the phone of course .
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I've been freelancing for quite a while, and I've been lucky enough to have recurring client. These are a couple of things I always try to go by.

-Understand that you are your own personal business, treat your clients like they just tapped in to the best kept art secret! ;p
    that means good customer service which should include, good time management, clear communication between both parties, and excellent results.

If it's your first time, they are probably testing the waters with you, and want to see if you are worth doing more business with in a future, so make sure you kick some serious ass, and give it your all!

I guess the best thing to do is just be attentive to your client... there will be some things that your client will agree upon and others that he or she won't, so be attentive, be fair, do the necessary adjustments to your work and respond accordingly.

also, if you run through any problems, just make sure to keep a calm mind, and focus on solving the problem at hand, if it escalates, talk with client in a very relaxed manner, and discuss ways to fix the problem.

Also never ever loose your cool or burn a bridge. ;p

so uh... shit, just kick some ass, focus on doing excellent work, and treat em' right!
    ¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    A sense of humor is an odd thing, everyone's is different, and some people don't have one at all. You're probably better off holding back on the jokes with any new professional contact until you've developed a relationship. Kev said not to try to be funny; if you really are a funny person, it will come out naturally. But some people try to cover up nervousness with attempts at humor, which are almost always painful. You don't want your life to end up like an episode of the Office.
    Haha now that you say that, I see what you mean. If you naturally funny, then go ahead, but if your not, then I guess don't try. I have never let out any "nervous jokes" myself, but I have witnessed it. I would describe it as "pain".

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post: