Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new question: wacom cintiq scratching?, and which art book should i get

Thanks

new question: wacom cintiq scratching?, and which art book should i get

Ok, for my 18th bday i got a wacom cintiq 21 ux, and since my real monitor is only 19 inches, i decided to replace it with the wacom entirely. This also makes sense because i have two video cards running in SLI, which demands for games to be played on really high resolutions to get the benefit.

So question is: Can i use this permanantly as my monitor to game, and do everything i want, and then when i draw just lower it? I am asking this because yestarday i used it for a bit, and it got pretty damn warm.

So if anyone knows if it can handle this task, please let me know.

Question two: My sister ordered me the art of Paul Bonner, and Spectrum 14. I also have Greg Cappullo's book.

So which other book should I get? I am thinking of the art of games workshop or something, but I wanted to ask you first.

I remember someone talking about a sick art book by a very well known artist who developed a distinctive style, but the book was kinda sold out. his style was extremely gritty, weird tense poses, characters with gasmasks, with a surreal twist. if anyone remembers his name, let me know

EDIT: I LOVE MY NEW CINTIQ TABLET, BUT IT APPEARS I MANAGED TO MAKE SCRATCHES ALL OVER THE PLACE PRETTY MUCH FIRST DAY. I CAN SEE THEM IF I LET THE LIGHT REFLECT OFF THE TABLET AND BEND MY HEAD. ANYONE KNOW HOW I MAD THE SCRATCHES, OR ANYTHING ABOUT THEM AT ALL?
    Last edited by Pavel Sokov; May 5th, 2008 at 12:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Phil Hale. Goad. I picked it up for 35 bucks. its 200 on amazon now though...
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 561 Posts
    answer to question number 1 is yes, the cintiq 12 inch can also be used as a monitor.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    art zealot i got the 21 inch though. I have been using it the past 3 days, it gets hot, but nothing bad happaned yet, obviously. It's just way too large for my table.

Timpaatkins, thats exactly the guy i was speaking off, thank you! oh wait, what the hell its 370 $! is it made of gold or something and there was only 3 made? whats the deal?

K, what other ways do i have of getting it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    art zealot i got the 21 inch though. I have been using it the past 3 days, it gets hot, but nothing bad happaned yet, obviously. It's just way too large for my table.

Timpaatkins, thats exactly the guy i was speaking off, thank you! oh wait, what the hell its 370 $! is it made of gold or something and there was only 3 made? whats the deal?

K, what other ways do i have of getting it?
    The 21 inch can also be used as a monitor, i use one at work and it's on pretty much 24/7 and has been almost always in use for a year that i know of. As far as books go, heres some that i like:
    Oxide 2x: Art of Kim Hyung-Tae
    Skillful huntsman
    Art of midway
    Art of world of warcraft, and art of burning crusade
    Art of darkwatch
    Structura by Sparth
    Carlos Huante has some art books that are good. and if its your birthday, a subscription to imagine FX would be a good present. it's what i ask for every christmas.

cheers'
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins View Post
    Phil Hale. Goad. I picked it up for 35 bucks. its 200 on amazon now though...
    Yep, sounds like Phil Hale's work to me too.

Thanks
    Congrats on the new gear. What do you think of the cintiq; does it live up to the hype?

Thanks
    Ok, I will tell you exactly everything i think of the cintiq.

The really bad:
    There appear to be scratches i made somehow all over the surface. a lot of them id say. pretty much on the first day. How did i make them? Maybe it's my watch? I have no idea but its ridiculously retarded either way. if the pen is scratching the surface then words fail me. I started wearing a glove on my hand to make sure my nails dont touch the surface. so what could it be? really frustrating.

The bad:
    On the stand there are rubber nubs that help the stand to not slide around. The left nub unglued a bit from the stand and i just had to glue it back on with my own glue that seems much better.

The good:
    Everything else. It works great, my next pieces that are coming up are much better then ud see with my regular tablet, who knows you guys might even like them . haha, but seriously, it's great, it is the logical next step for every digital artist. It is great because i wanted a new monitor, mine was too small, and here it is. This thing has 1600 x 1200 resolution i believe and my games look and play great.

The confusing:
    Ok, why in the world does it not go to 90 degree vertical position? It makes no sense. So i gotta play games with a not straight screen, but oh well.

Overall:
    Very sad about the scratches, that is extremely frustrating. I know for 2500$ they arent meant to get scratched so easily. It's ridiculous.
    Very happy about everything else. wish the stand would go to full upright position.

9.2/10. (missing 0.8 entirely taken off because of the scratches. what a load of bs haha)

Thanks
    Don't try to impress us with the depth of your anguish, keep the emotions to yourself and help us solve the problem. There is always a way, and always more than one solution to a problem. If you have a problem, fix it. The more problems you have to deal with, the less they'll frustrate you and it even becomes fun solving them.
    So please post with your head, not your heart; actively work with us to solve this.

Obviously, don't use wear a watch while using the Cintiq. Of course it's a sensitive surface, of course it will get scratched by things with sharp or abrasive surfaces.

Where has it been scratched? In the area you use the pen in most often, or the area where your watch is most often?

So i gotta play games with a not straight screen, but oh well.
    Try raising your chair, or putting an object at the back of the stand.

Thanks
    Pavel, the cintiq shouldn't scratch permanently unless you were wearing a watch or something. The pen does leave fine reflective lines but these can be rubbed/polished out with just a monitor or sunglass rag or just a tissue. I wouldn't use any abrasive cleaners on it.

Ive been using mine in production for about 2 years and it hasnt had any permanent scratches- i use it every day- 10 hours a day. The rubber feet do peel back from the stand.

Btw, i use it as an additional monitor to my macbook pro. Its not built to be a gaming monitor, i think id prefer something widescreen for that.

Thanks
    i was wearing a watch the first 2 days, but on my left hand, so i mean that would be a really slim possiblity.

I tried rubbing them really hard with towels and such, they dont come off.
    no one in the world was able to tell me how i got the scratches on there yet.

i mean if i rub them with the towel and they dont come off, that makes them real scratches and that sucks big time because i dont think i rubbed it with my watch, but who knows

Thanks
    Thats tough. Probably best to contact wacom- they might have a solution. The coatings are made to be durable.

Thanks
    My 12Wx also has scratches - probably from dust that gets caught under the pen nib.

I use a microfibre cloth to clean it before every session now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast