Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 907 Posts

I got a problem :(

so I'm havin a good time and boom it just gets better
    Last edited by Mr.Delicious; May 3rd, 2008 at 08:31 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    man you must have one hot stove!!! replacing it shouldn't be too hard getting it to look like the rest of the floor will be your main drama and i am no help there so ill just slowly make my exit from this thread.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I'm assuming you're going to do a patch job?

First off, make sure the new lino matches. Otherwise, you'll have to do a total replace.

If it does, get your piece, your glue and some chisel/scrapers, and if it's vinyl, there should be a bottle of solvent shit that melts the edges together.

Lay your piece out and let it stretch out and settle to your environment--at least two days. Then register the pattern as perfectly as you can with the piece and the floor, and tape it securely--really securely! Using a sharp knife, cut the smallest piece that makes sense to correct the damage, in straight lines with a steel edge right through both layers of lino at once. Try to do the cuts where they'll be least noticed, like in a natural pattern break or something like that if possible. If it's an overall pattern, just do the best you can.

Once you've done the cutting, lay your new piece aside carefully AND flat. Then using the chisels and scrapers, dig out the old piece, be realllllllly careful not to nick the cut edge you made.

Get as much of the shit out as you can for a smooth look. Then glue your new piece in place and roll it tght from the center out so it butts up against the old floor stuff. Pay special attention to the edges.

After it sets up (read the can, dummy... ), use the little bottle of solvent shit to seal up the seam. It should blend into itself physically and visually.

It's a bitch to do, but not impossible if you're careful.

If you want to do a total redo...

Looking at what I just wrote, looking at how complex your kitchen arrangement is, you might want to think about all new lino everywhere just like the old one. Just carefully patch in the holey areas first and lay the new stuff over the old--make sure you have the room at the doors etc. for clearance, or rip it all up and start from scratch. Might be less hassle and less nerve-racking.

ADD: If you're going to do a total redo, I can give you a really easy way to do it with minimal measuring. Just let me know one way or the other.
    Last edited by Ilaekae; May 3rd, 2008 at 12:58 AM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Delicious View Post
    molting metal melts the linoleum floor
    Is your apartment also a forge?

Thanks
    Ilaekae: I think I'm gonna do a total redo its 7x6 feet with some cuts, but it shouldnt be too hard... I hope. Let me know though

HunterKiller_: after an hour and a half of electric stove action it is
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    Is your apartment also a forge?
    it has low ceilings too. Bruenor is subletting it to him.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Get lots of brown paper and tape. Carefully assemble a big "template" to fit the entire room--really accurate. tape firmly so none of the pieces shift.

After you let new lino settle flat and relax for day or two, tape template to the lino and cut accurately along the edge with sharp knife (do this in bigger room obviously, not kitchen). If you have to go around an island thing, make a sharp cut where least noticed and solvent back together once in place. Fold back convenient side without moving it and glue, drop into place, then roll rest up to that spot and finish in strips across floor when gluing. That make sense?

ADD: Better bribe Jason so he doesn't blab...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Lol, I never melted anything but one time my wedding ring fell through the porch boards. It was 10PM on a winter night in Boston, and damned if I didn't rip out every friggin board to get it, waking up the entire neighborhood in the process. Next day, I stopped by home depot and replaced a couple rotten 2x4's.

Lesson is: when you take off your rings for ceramics and put em in your pocket, PUT THEM BACK ON AFTERWARDS! Don't leave it there to go flying out when you reach for your keys later.

Thanks
    so today I realized something... cooking pots shouldnt melt. So I've decided to get compensation from the company or sue em I guess . Wish me luuuck
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-