Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turn off the TV

Thanks

Turn off the TV

This is an interesting presentation given at the recent WEB 2.0 conference about not so much about time management but time productivity and potential. He';s comparing the time spent in front of a tv being advertised to and the time spent on social networking or wikis actually contributing to a greater collective. has direct allusions to everyone here who can never find the time to draw/paint/sketch etc.

http://lifehacker.com/385296/where-y...o-spend-online

short, but some food for thought.

I'm going to go watch Lost now.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chingwa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, as soon as Lost and Battlestar Galactica go off the air, it'll be an easy decision. Otherwise, I'll just wait for another blackout. ;P

http://www.tvturnoff.org/
    David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Thanks
    =vhan agrees=

Thanks
    I watch roughly 6 hours per month worth of TV. There is absolutely nothing on the network channels that's interesting, and even certain educational channels are becoming a bit dull. Discovery, The Hitler er... History channel, TLC, etc, I find that their programs just aren't the same as they use to be.

Funny thing though is even though I downgraded my cable service months ago, Comcast still hasn't applied the downgrade and moved me to basic service. Even though I still have all my channels I get charged less.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    battlestar is like crack

must know

will they reach earth

is she a cylon?

must

find

out!

Thanks
    I haven't had cable TV for over four years now. I don't miss it. My "spare" time is spent online or reading.

I am a big BSG and Lost fan, but I watch the series' on DVD when they come out. I'm a year late, but does that really matter in the grand scheme of things?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    The next step is to find a way to get off the internet. I don't think playing WoW like this dude says is better than watching TV. There is an hour of TV but there is no such thing as an hour of video game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    Oh really? What about turning off internet ?
    Last edited by Farvus; May 2nd, 2008 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The most productive method is probably to turn off life.

Thanks
    Same thing for me. as soon as BSG finishes, I'm downgrading my tv listing to the bare necessities (National Geographics and such.). Or maybe completely pulling the plug?

Thanks
    I rarely stop what I'm doing to JUST watch tv (Battlestar Galactica in fact being just about the only TV show I'll do it for), but the TV is almost always on. I can get a lot done with tv on, and still absorb information from the Food Network, History, Discovery, Sci-fi, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, Spike (for CSI) etc. Hell, I can play a video game, check my email, watch tv and sketch all at once!

The video was very interesting, and I love the idea that people are using the internet to do interesting and worthwhile things with their time. It wasn't long ago that most illustrators created their work more or less in a vacuum, working in their studios with very little contact with other illustrators or fans. Now we have near instant access to a very large community.

Thanks
    hehehehe
    im addicted to the wire.
    im on season3 right now holy shit!
    "you nit, dont you see what he's done?!?! HE'S LEGALIZED DRUGS!!!"

Thanks
    great article (i couldn't watch the video)

Growing up we watched a lot of tv. I don't think the box was ever even 'off'.

Right now I'm down to just the basics. A couple of shows here and there and mostly the only reason I even have cable at this point is to watch the Discovery and History channel (I really wish the cable companies would let you choose the channels you get in a package...never gonna happen though).

Just like the article mentions, I find myself painting now more than ever. And when I'm not doing that I'm reading blogs, mostly science, political and other super dorky ones.

It's nice to know that maybe our society is growing up a little.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    I have to watch Lost and House. Everything else can suck it!
    blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    yeah, the wire is the only thing i watch. and then only on dvd.
    i hate commercials so much that i cant watch even 5 minutes of tv these days.

*edit
    yes, house is a damn good show. my girlfriend was renting those dvds for awhile, i watched a bunch of episodes. really really good shit.
    Last edited by TheDirtSyndicate; May 2nd, 2008 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks
    my TV isn't connected to cable. but i imagine if it was i'd never get anything done.

Thanks
    I tend to wait until the whole series comes out on DVD, and then blow an entire month on the marathon session.

I swore off HBO once they cancelled Deadwood (I wanted to when they cancelled Carnivale but Rome was too good to pass over.) Showtime's on the come up though, with Dexter and Weeds, so its not so bad. I try to avoid anything with commercials if possible, but I'll make exceptions for BSG.

Thanks
    I stopped watching TV habitually the moment I realized that the programs were all an elaborate setup to get me to watch commercials. I do own a TV, but it's only connected to a PS3. Honestly, what is the point of a big fancy HD set showing commercials half the time? I pop upstairs occasionally when one of my housemates has South Park on, but I never purposely turn on a television set for anything other than games or movies. It's just not worth my time.
    We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T. S. Eliot

ArenaNet Artists' Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    I don't watch anything with commercials anyway. I watch stuff on dvd instead - I can't stand the constant interruptions to look at weirdly happy people doing chores.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 907 Posts
    I stopped watching tv the minute I realized that I just sit in one spot watchin somebody elses creations go before me and I was like "hey wait a minute, I'm watching other people get things done". So I havent for 2-3 years, but movies are great, I'll watch movies if I ever get the chance. Truth is I'd rather be improving at art and life than watching that crap(I'm sure theres some decent shows though ).
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I like television.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I have four TVs. Two are on at all times (24-7). I'm totally isolated, so it constantly reminds me that I'm not the world's last idiot alive...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Funny, I hear a lot of people complaining about commericals, or that tv would cause them to get nothing done. Am I the only multi-tasker who enjoys TV, but only allows it to occupy a small part of my attention? I'll stop what I'm doing for BSG, otherwise it's just background noise that I listen to while I do other things. I think I turn to see what's happening every so often, and then my imagination fills in the rest to the point where I'm not even aware that I'm missing stuff. It's almost like reading sub-titles where after a while you aren't even aware that you are reading while you watch.
    Last edited by J Wilson; May 2nd, 2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Far too many typos to ignore

Thanks
    shit, i can multi task, but not when the tv is on.
    my dad can do that shit. he can run his store, read the paper, fix a guitar, re-wire a stereo, etc.
    i cant do ANYTHING when the tv is on except watch TV.
    thats all i can do. even the commercials i hate so much.. i'll get sucked in.
    i do motion graphics for a living, so i end up watching all the commercials critiquing them... but i hate them so much!
    and i cant fucking stand those goddamn lower third things that pop up in the middle of a show! it'll be like a really intense emotional scene, then all of a sudden you hear "sccrreeaaach" and a fucking dinosaur walks out on the bottom of the screen, screams again with they type "dinosaur death trap: up next" then he fucking stops off again, and i just missed 3 or 4 sentences in my fucking show, not to mention the fact that i've been completely ripped out of the story i've immersed myself in! FUCK
    whoever invented that shit should be SHOT... problem is it was probably me... it was definately someone like me who made it for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Ah! Bless the BBC. It may have its faults, but at least the shows are uninterrupted! Just a pity the good ones are starting to get thin on the ground...

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Ah! Bless the BBC.
    And bless the lovely Brits that torrent...

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dweller View Post
    Funny, I hear a lot of people complaining about commericals, or that tv would cause them to get nothing done. Am I the only multi-tasker who enjoys TV, but only allows it to occupy a small part of my attention?
    Know that you are not alone! I too am a multi-tasker. The tv is usually on, however I rarely watch most of it. I like Dexter(showtime version...can't stand good gore being edited), Tudors, Comedy Central is pretty much it besides movies and of course the video games (snes, ps1/2, ds, pc). I will watch bits/pieces, but always when I am sketching or working on my computer or a client's project or something else. I am alway doing at least 2 things at a time.

Thanks
    I think we just need to rework what the definition of a life is.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    My third or fourth TV-free year now, i stopped counting. Its so liberating, i highly recommend it! And thanks to the wonders of internets i can catch the occational episode of south park or something like that online when it suits me.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    OOoo I forgot! Having a PVR is absolutely lovely; I always FFWD the comercials on my already taped show AND thanks to this, I can pause a show whenever I saw something cool and want to analyse the motion frame by frame, just like a DVD but with regular TV of whatever you were watching (even if it's not pre-recorded.)
    On the plus side, it drives my significant other completely insane when I do that =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast