Sketchbook: Jamie Romoser's Sketchbook - Page 29

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! I think you need to do some anatomy and gestural studies though. The pose on that last character looks a bit stiff and veeeeeery slightly off balance like he's tilted to the right. Your work is looking great though, keep it up

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff! second study looks pretty good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey jamie, really awesome characters for the last strider! Lots of other great work as well, keep it up man!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, those still lifes are coming into their own..
    Not sure about the values in your enviro piece, the cliff seems a bit odd with some of the floaty bits. Keep it up, looking awesome!! =)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    your still life work is very interesting.. great treatment in the characters, keep doin good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colours are coming together well, mate! keep up the awesome progress =)

"The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe."
    Bob Ross
    'Updates every other decade' Book
    Death by Hue Shift!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some serious improvements man! Definately keep it up, really enjoyed the still life as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweeeeeeet, lots of updates since I last visited. I really like the T-shirt design, top notch design. Maybe if I rub my screen I can absorb some skillz looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love those tea pots!!! Really like the colors and the lighting! Great exercises! Keep up the hard work! I'll be back for more

SKETCHBOOK

Daryl Zero: "A few words here about following people. People know they're being followed when they turn around and see someone following them. They can't tell they're being followed if you get there first."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update yet again Jamie Your colors are really looking tight. One crit I have is with the sword on the front of your most recent character's chest: it seems to be wrapping around the body as if it was curved. Maybe it's just to my eyes though. Perhaps some drop shadows might help. As always keep watching those underlying forms and hit us up with an update soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very inspirational sketchbook dude. I think you should go back take some of the first imaginative sketches and take them idea's maybe re-gesture some of your choice possibly fighting turn it into an epic scene and i guarentee you will be happy with your outcome. all your studys are coming on great and use them as u intended at the beginning. Remember the spark in your art, turn it into a thick flame of awesomeness

I hope to be the best i can be... nothing less

WEBSITE

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to return the favor of looking through your sketchbook, and I must say your work is really cool and versatile. I'll def be checking back.

-Yeti

Thanks
    Thanked 5,476 Times in 3,685 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ivan Turcin-Hey thanks alot man will keep at it

Cameli-yeah still lifes are where its at if you wana learn how light and color works I need to do more of them

nemomarlin-Thanks though I still think all of its not even par glad I can encourage people to draw and stuff. Thats why this sites awsome always inspiration around every corner.

Benjie-Ben! sup dude yeah ah proportions they kill me need to study more on that shit

Wanna-Yeah not to sure on the functionality of that sword but thats what the author had for this character I do need to go back and fix alot of stuff

MrChow-ello mr chow yeah I do need to do more works with more dramatic lighting. Maybe ill bust out my light box again for my still lifes but need to get a new bulb one of those natural day light ones. Been using the shitty yellow bulbs they suck.

jackpot_anjr90-Hey whats up man hows it been? but yeah fersher eh I always dive way to fast into rendering ill render for hours and then im like fuk I tottaly messed everything up when I could have just been more organised and fixed it in the begining. Thanks for dropping by ill have to see what youve been up to

Krato-haha thanks Krato to me they suck though XD gotta keep burning those wacom nibs lol

exi-hi exi thanks alot ah having a freelance job like that is so stressfull at times cause you gotta draw things you dont like but still gotta manage to produce. Deffinalty think I dove way to fast into getting jobs but its still fun

Kungfoowiz-heya man yeah theres just wonky stuff every where in my art XD *needs to focus more*

Ricardo Robles-Thanks Ricardo I do need to study life more just get bored burned out sometimes will stop by your sketchbook

Aberzheim-Colors ahhh im still failing at it so much to learn. Thanks for dropping by dude

Jasper_-yo Jasper shit man youve been killing it more then me in your sketchbook some awsome progress aswell. Ill stop by soon have a good one man

bpic-haha me skills? na its just how much time you put into stuff. But thanks for the compliment lol I need to do more traditional studies like your self there looking ace.

meticulous-thx man will do

zhonked-haha not your eyes im seeing that to now XD cool people think im getting a tad bit better at color still so shitty though haha thanks for the crits always appreicate it.

Tom Fenton-thats a great idea will go back on some old stuff see how i can evolve it haha. Thanks for droppin by Tom and the kind words

yeticatcher-thanks but eh really not diggin the versitality wish I had more of a defined style still pretty lost dont even think I have a style yet. thanks for the comment

Black Spot-thank you was pretty interesting to study

__________________________________________________ _______

So eh ive been in this major kinda art block im still drawing and painting everyday just really im not liking anything im producing and not really sure where im going as far as style and shit. Im just rendering way to much when I should be organising more in the begining so i dont have to spend hours fixing stuff that I could have in the begining. But anyway heres some studies and stuff.

~quick still life
    Name:  41.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  114.3 KB

~a brush dead over renderd study of final fantasy movie
    Name:  42.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  278.1 KB

~some blob from my mind
    Name:  43.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  210.1 KB

~Book commision work
    Name:  44.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  399.1 KB

~something that Ive been messing around with I wish I could paint realistic people straight from my imagination but I fail completly at it. I used photo ref for the pose eh feels like im cheating sometimes cause im not doing it from my head. The battle is over as time passes on the ship so lonley. Bud and Ipod to keep you company
    Name:  45.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  233.6 KB

have a good one everybody see you next time

Last edited by Jamie Romoser; July 19th, 2010 at 08:43 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey man dont be so hard on yourself, just deal with it, and do studies of what you dont understand, thats what i do.. in this case do a ton of people studies everyday do like 10 good people studies, body + faces

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah dude no need to be so hard on yourself! You are producing some awesome stuff and figure drawing from your mind is one of the hardest topics in art! Keep on working away and I'm sure that eventually it will become second nature. I like the book commission picture, although I would say one thing:

Is that hump on his back supposed to be central or leaning slightly to (our) left? Just because of the way his shoulders are aligned it gives the impression its off-centre...

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update really like the values in the FF movie study -

and i agree with my previous posters - you gotta have more faith in what you do - you cranked out some awesome stuff and you wouldnt draw at all if you had not joy with it. and if you are struggling with a subject it means that you are studyng exactley the right subject.

keep it up man

ps. here are some nice photorefs for gesture drawing - http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/...lassical-nudes

Millions of female nudes on the internet but if you are looking for male anatomy you are screwed -______-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man! It's okay to use refs for your work...even the best artists out there do it. Knowing anatomy helps a great deal though...that way you don't have to depend on what's already there. Keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude I feel your frustration. Everyone goes through a block or two and it sucks ass but you just gotta keep pushing. I remember Bobby Chiu saying something like if you're frustrated, that's good because a breakthrough is just around the corner. Weather the storm, my friend!

Anyway, nice update Jamie. You can do stuff from mind so don't feel guilty about reffing shit and sitting poses are hard anyway. And IMO, the abomination is pretty cool but if you feel it's cheesy maybe try new things and experiment. Maybe read up on art history, take a walk, or watch a new movie, and come back to the drawing board and see if you come up with some cool things! Good luck, and just have fun

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah bro, Bobby has it right there, you are near the breakthrough, there is something which needs to happen to tip you over. Krato is probably right, maybe reason you can't draw some things directly from your mind is that you need key bits of information which just aren't vivid enough in your memory, it may be time to roll up the sleeves and study on those things.

Have fun with your next studies bro! =)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yea mate dont worry.I agree with the mates here and also check the progress you have done.I remember your old works and here everything is improved.Also i am on the same situation , so lets both keep up trying!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yea mate dont worry.I agree with the mates here and also check the progress you have done.I remember your old works and here everything is improved.Also i am on the same situation , so lets both keep up trying!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've improved a lot since the last time I checked your sb. Really... leaps! And you've been consistent, unlike myself, heh. If you're feeling badly blocked it might be time to relax a bit, scribble, doodle and just have fun drawing instead of trying to force finished pieces or studies.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    simple as this. the more you draw the better you get. the better you get, the more you realize you need to draw more!

be happy you can use reference! reference is a very good tool that all good artists use sometimes all the time. to get that realistic gesture and feel of a piece, artist have to use real life! some have photographic memory and others do not (like me). so the ones that don't have to memorize or constantly draw things over and over again to get it imprinted into our minds. then we can draw things without reference.

though with that piece in the last post of the girl and her ipod... it's very good. you threw your colors into it, your flare, what you are, and the reference only gave you a building block to start from. don't be discouraged, embrace the reference and use it to your liking. change things in it that appeal to you more than what you have learned.

once you've mastered the basic foundations of art, you can then mold them into your liking. then breaking the rules and revolutionizing other peoples ideas and ways of thinking. that's what we all do as artists. we give people visual stimulation for their everyday boring lives. we give them something to hope for. we bring their dreams to life. we change the world around filling it with our sense of beauty, feeling, and perception!

go go go, draw draw draw! and never be discouraged enough to give up! ;]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great progress my 505 brotha. really dig the final fantasy still study. regarding your situation right now, i know you may not be enjoying the stuff you're producing for your jobs at the moment, but remember why you love to draw in the first place.. right? like matt above me said, it's okay to use reference. in my opinion, it is in no way or form of cheating. no one is perfect and not many artists can memorize the anatomy of the human body inch from inch. though like others have said, it is good to know the foundations/basics which i'm sure you're getting a lot of.

just keep on producing jamie! looking forward to more of your future success~

.mike

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very inspiring sketchbook Jamie, how do all those different ideas fit inside your head!? You can really see tons of improvements aswell.

No crits (mostly because I can't find anything to crit :|), just keep drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude...wowa. All I can see now is your dust as you go speeding past me, great work man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya I have trouble with my imagination as well >.>

I suck completely at painting in colour in Digital for some reason. Oil painting's no problem but for some reason I just goof in digital. I also suck at drawing people from my head as well >.>

So remember even if you suck there is always someone worse! Cheers me up sometimes

try doing more gesture drawings? I'm trying that. Hopefully it'll make it easier to get posses from my head

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,476 Times in 3,685 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Using reference is not always frowned on. I really should find Elwell's thread on it, but its late and I'm tired. I think it's in the tutorial section.

Blob study needs elbow in the correct place. On the ref'd piece, the shoulders look wide and slightly lacking in form. Not saying anything on the book commission as he might bite me.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep on going you! never be too hard on yourself (but never congratulate yourself too much either, I think. because it never gets, 'easy', really. you just have to do it because you love it. and you obviously do!)

it's that difficult line. and you will improve! you have improved! go out into the world and take some photos of stuff, or sit and try imagining how things fit together (that's something I like to do, when I get worked up over drawing. just sit and deconstruct houses into bits in my mind, like an exploded diagram!)

there's nothing stopping you

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

35. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11