Possibly getting CS3?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Possibly getting CS3?

I hope this thread is not redundant, as I did do some searches on this and other forums and none answered the specific questions I have. If I did miss a useful thread, please link or something?

Looking through the student discounts my university offers, I noticed that CS3 had a rather sexy price. However, I did some research and read a few threads here and it seems that there are various... issues. In particular, pressure sensitivity issues that require a workaround. Basically, I want confirmation, and possible a comparison of speed, I couldn't find satisfactory info anywhere.

I have a 9x12 Intuos3 tablet, which is precisely the make/size that seems to have instability in CS3. I've read that not using the mouse at all while using CS3 helps, but I use both in tandem extensively, and I would really rather not have to perform a workaround just to be able to use the software as it's meant to be used.

Additionally, I want to ask about the speed of CS3 as compared to CS2 (which I currently use) and 7.0 (which I regret updating). 7.0 was much faster in my opinion. In particular, although CS2 opens faster, when opening/creating a file for the first time, it loads for an additional 10-15 seconds which are quite annoying. It also seems overall slower and more resource-hungry than 7.0. So, what's CS3 like compared to this? I've heard it's slightly faster and I've heard it's slower, so I'd like some more specifics.

I use CS2 primarily for drawing, although I also do graphic work and photo editing occasionally, so I am interested in some of the newer features. However, if CS3 is slower and the pressure sensitivity bug is really as serious as it seems to be, then I probably will not buy the software.

On a slightly related note, is there any way to buy older versions (preferably with discounts)? There's always the torrent option, but that's something I'd rather not do.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eishiya View Post
    On a slightly related note, is there any way to buy older versions (preferably with discounts)? There's always the torrent option, but that's something I'd rather not do.
    True, but if you get a clean copy, then you can try before you buy. I don't know anything about laws, but I know that it used to be said to be ok to have it on your machine for 24 hours before you purchase. After that, you have to delete it. But keep in mind, this is hearsay so you might want to check your local state and federal laws. I haven't heard this in a while because I think basically everyone assumes now that torrents, any kind of downloading is doing it illegally now.

I use CS2, and besides what's on this forum, the only other problems I have heard about CS3 have come from my friend who is also an art major. She had problems installing the CS3 suite after she got her CDs and Adobe gave her a hard time about replacing it. There was no working installation period and so her CDs were DOA. This was when CS3 was relatively new.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I'm fairly sure that Photoshop offers official trial versions with a time expiry, I completely forgot those and I should try it out. It won't mess with my current installation of CS2, as long as it's a new installation and not an upgrade, I think.
    Thanks for the indirect reminder. Beats pirating. Although I'm fairly sure the laws here permit the 24-hour thing, it's still iffy with me.

Edit: I'll go find that trial, however I'd also like to point out that I intend to get the Production Suite bundle, since it includes other software I've been craving for a while. So, while my first few questions might be resolved by a trial version of CS3, I'd also like to ask this: If I do get the bundle, is it possible to install it without CS3 and keep my current installation of CS2? I know they allow selecting/deselecting features during installation, but some features are considered "core" features and cannot be unselected, I'm hoping PS isn't one of them. My HD space is not infinite and I'd like to avoid having two separate copies of PS.

Last edited by eishiya; May 1st, 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eishiya View Post
    Actually I'm fairly sure that Photoshop offers official trial versions with a time expiry, I completely forgot those and I should try it out. It won't mess with my current installation of CS2, as long as it's a new installation and not an upgrade, I think.
    Thanks for the indirect reminder. Beats pirating. Although I'm fairly sure the laws here permit the 24-hour thing, it's still iffy with me.
    lol. Your torrenting was an indirect reminder of the law. I need to look that up. I don't really do a whole lot of torrenting either. My fiance has caught more than enough viruses through it (he's wearing his cyber rubber though) and I don't suggest to it to everyone. I don't have the time or patience to deal with that stuff.

If I do get the bundle, is it possible to install it without CS3 and keep my current installation of CS2?
    I've run Elements and the regular photoshop side by side. But I googled for a better answer.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pho...pgradetips.htm
    DON'T install Photoshop to the same folder as a previous version. Photoshop is intended to be installed to a new folder with each new version. If you're installing to a location other than the default, you'll need to specify a complete installation path including a folder (i.e. DPhotoshop 7.0 not D). If you don't, you'll have a real mess to clean up.

DON'T remove your old version until you feel confident that you're up to speed with the new version. When you're working on a deadline, you won't be able to work as quickly in an unfamiliar environment. You can save yourself a lot of frustration by doing work in the familiar version when you're in a time crunch. When you feel like you no longer need your old version, it is perfectly safe to uninstall it.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=414311
    Should work.
    I've used PS6 (OS 9) and CS2 (OSX) side by side for a while.

Only problem I encountered when using the Beta of CS3 was that the file associations of Bridge CS2 were set for CS3 and needed to be 're-set'
    On a side note: A photog I work for has CS2 and CS3 extended installed side by side on his G5, and I don't remember the file associations being screwy there in Bridge CS2. Might have been a beta thing.
    No experience whatsoever with windows systems.
    You can use them both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the info. I know that you can install and run multiple versions of PS at once (I used 7.0 and CS2 for a while, until I got used to CS2's quirks), I was mainly wondering if it's possible to install the Production Premium bundle without installing CS3.

In any case, I download the trial and there seems to be no problem with pressure support. Even when I use mouse and tablet together as usual. That made me breathe a great sigh of relief.
    A few other things:
    Interface is fugly but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
    It has the same odd lag I got on CS2 when opening a file for the first time. Not quite sure, but it might be worse.
    Seems laggier on larger files/complex brushes than CS2 (tested with the same brushes/files, multi-layered A4 at 600dpi with scatter and other dynamic brushes). Naturally, my computer is at least partly to blame, but not wholly, as 7.0 ran much more smoothly and quickly with the same set-up.

Bearable. If I do get sick of it, I can just keep using CS2.
    Again, thanks for the help aea.

Oh another question.
    I will be purchasing a single user licence, and I'm wondering how/if that will carry over if I decide to install it on a new computer? My current one is quickly aging and I feel buying an entirely new system (and thus having to install everything over again) would be much cheaper at this point than upgrading my current one to my desired specs. I've heard that Adobe isn't particularly lenient with their licences, so I'm fearful that I won't be able to reuse the same serial on a new system.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Yeah I was in the same predicament a few days ago, and made the call with CS2. I just recently bought a laptop that has a-ok specs, nothing too insane, so I believe CS2 would be the more adequate solution to my wildest desires. Vista is also installed on the laptop, I hear its crappy when running cs3, though with my trial, I haven't had any troubles. The word of mouth on the Vista problems came from a professional artist's mouth on some other forum who has been using photoshop for a number of years, also from another individual from one of amazon.com's reviews stated there are compositing issues with cs3, he too has used various editions of photoshop dating to version 5.0. I know a lot of local artists who are going to school, so I could have used the fatty academia discount as well, but then again, I plan on only making digital paintings and what not through photoshop. If you need flash and dreamweaver then of course go with the suite. Hope what I've gathered from the internet has helped peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can install photoshop on two different comps, yeah I'd just play with cs3 some more, you have more experience with cs2 so you can make a better call in comparing the two than i.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been using Photoshop for about 9 years (started with 4, but I think 5 was out by that time), so I think I have some right to compare as well. CS3 doesn't seem all that different from CS2, which is a big plus for me. I've played around with it a bit, and the biggest difference is the interface, which I've quickly gotten used to already (it's quite handy).
    I've purchased CS3 now, just waiting for it to come in the mail now. Beefy student discounts indeed. Although I am primarily a digital painter, I went with the Production Premium suite, as I've wanted to try my hand at animation, which AfterEffects makes much easier to do, and I'm sure I'll find some use for the other software. It's a much better deal than getting CS3 alone (plus I really want AfterEffects), but the master Collection has a ton of stuff I really don't need.
    I use a desktop PC for my art-related stuff. It's not particularly good, but CS2 and CS3 run quite well on it and I can run them simultaneously with other memoru-hog programs without much trouble, so that isn't an issue. For me it was mainly the tablet support, but it seems to work. Now my only worry is being able to reinstall it if I were to format my drives, but hopefully that'll be fine.

Edit: Anyway, thanks for the input. No further questions from me. Heck, I feel bad for not remembering that they have trials for Photoshop. If I remembered, this topic would have never even been posted.

Last edited by eishiya; May 1st, 2008 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No need to be sorry, cashing out $200+ on an investment is worth getting feedback on, thanks for your input

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.