Art: One more anime drawing~

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One more anime drawing~

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so you can emulate a style. I mean, that's all I really see here, you've gotten good at making a very anime style drawing. Where's the foundations to back it up? The anatomy is not very good, especially in the legs and her raised shoulder... Neck too.. and what is up with her left hand? It's tiiiny. And the gound doesn't indicate grass, it just looks... greenish. Actually it looks like it's speeding past. The colors are pretty nice but again it just looks like all the other anime out there. It's a good emulation I suppose but there's nothing at all individual or interesting about this.

Let's see something more personal done with this level of finish!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that Nonie is being completely unfair and biased. Obviously anime style is what you're going for and it is executed beautifully. I rarely see these kind of comments on pieces that are emulating an American comic/fantasy style. This piece is very well executed, the color choices are strong, and the composition is pleasing.

As for the anatomy, the hand and legs don't bother me. However, I do think there should be some indication that the left arm is being raised in the shoulder.

Don't let the haters get you down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    colors and the posture are nice, also the drapery is realy well done. Only think is that she seems floating above the ground. There is no mass feling.

The grass and the flowers are too instant, thats because it looks a little pasted.

About the copying manga, they who dont understad why you shouldnt copy the style share the same ignorance with those who dont understand why you should copy the style.

By the way if you look at artist of CA, most of them are pretty much similar.

bye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta agree with Nonie on this.
    Even if only for the fact that it's so hard you your work to stand out by doing this type of work. It seems like youre being unfair to yourself, really.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure I'm biased, I did the exact same thing for a long time. Actually my final project in one of my college classes was pretty much the same thing. Know where all that anime art got me? Nowhere. It wasn't until I started working from direct observation that I started learning anything useful.

I'm just saying to develop your own voice and to think about why people are using the stylizations they use in anime - emulating anything, American comics, fantasy, whatever, *anything*, should be viewed as just an exercise.

There's nothing about this piece that would make me remember the manga it was from. It looks like a thousand other artists could have done it. Foreground lowers/puff/petals? Check. Girl laying on ground in a white dress? Check. Wrist to her forehead? Check. It's a decently-executed but unoriginal piece.

Edit: I guess a better way to put this is that you have gone as far as you can go in this style without having a strong foundational basis. So the only way to move ahead would be to study realism and then maybe come back to the style you like so much.

Last edited by nonie; May 1st, 2008 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the way if you look at artist of CA, most of them are pretty much similar.
    Really?

I'm with Nonie and Interceptor here. I would like to see what you can do with something that is more personal to you.

EDIT:
    Look at the top thumbnail artists for one called "Gezstar". He does fairly anime stuff but it has foundations, and shows originality and skill in design and execution.

CA may have a small anime "bias", but much of what people call "bias" is actually constructive advice so that they can take anime and make it their own- Like Alien1452, or Gezstar, who both do amazing, amazing stuff.

Last edited by Justin.; May 1st, 2008 at 04:05 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it. As always CA gotta be extra harsh with the anime drawings. Total bias. Ignore it.

Besides the comments about style, the first poster was right though. The hand is smallish. Also the eyes seem to be ...I don't know... seems like they are taken from another picture. Everything is so toned down in this piece except the eyes - very dark and saturated. Seems outta place.

Edit: Also Justin, Nonie: Though this picture is OBVIOSLY not perfect - I think it is good enough to deduce that the artist probably does practice from real life - it's the only way to get good really.

EditEdit: Rayph, you say cheap I say simplistic (talking ofcourse about the anime genre in general here, nothing specific). You think minimalism is cheap too? Sometimes its to save money. And sometimes it's because it's a awesome style to communicate with. To become good at anime you have to study the basics naturally - I havent seen ANYONE say otherwise.

Last edited by Greywoods; May 1st, 2008 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a reason for a strong biased view against anime amongst a strong foundational art community.

Anime is for the lack of a better word designed cheaply so it can be drawn cheaply, at the end of the day it is just that: cheap.

Although for those that enjoy it that is fine I say, hey fast food is cheap and millions enjoy that right?

Anyhow I agree with all the critique given thus far, and will add that if you want to make honest improvement in your artistic skills you will lay off the anime and go study the basics.

Horny Lion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a bit of an anti-anime bias on this forum. No big deal, but expect to face it.

If you want respect for manga styled work from the concept community at large, you'll have to either present amazingly rendered, pro-level work or post some conventional concept art, illustration or sketches along with your manga stuff. Drawing manga is fine, of course, but if you're only doing it because you lack the ability to work in other styles, you're going to get some negative feedback. If that is the case, take what people say to heart and work on your base skills before attacking a stylized render.

Hope some of that helps.

-: [ sketchbook | sour.org ] :-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like to draw anime style not beacause i lack of my skills, recently, (4 months)
    ago, i started to learn about the human anatomy drawing,to learn about the muscle and skeleton, how the muscle moves /works etc, but i am just a beginner, and i always make a lot of mistake,
    but i just want to say, the reason i draw anime style is i LOVE ANIME STYLE.
    and anime / manga is not cheap
    i seen a lot of ppl who draw very well in releastic style , but they still cant draw anime style well, if they try to draw anime, may be it will looks like anime, but actually it isnt , it looks abit wired
    anime style is not just simplfly the face and body,and cel shading

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not cheap
    from http://www.animatorsunite.com/data/b...ator-in-japan/

. On average, animation studios pay entry level employees about $12,000 to $25,000 USD a year, less then half their American counterparts.
    American films tend to be very top heavy, and over spend on executives and marketing research, which usually results in a film costing in excess of $100 million USD. In Japan films tend to run a $10 million to $20 million USD budget with similar production values to the US animation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We don't need another one of those huge discussions about the anime way. Try bringing it to the Art Discussion section if you really want to keep going with a never ending debate.

Now getting back to you joeian and your picture. I don't get the feeling that she's actually laying on grass. It looks like a flat floor made to look something like grass. Also there isn't enough depth created from the shadows and highlights. i think it's from some shadows that don't seem to follow the direction of the light source.

Last edited by Shmaba; May 1st, 2008 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with nonie. Wether or not it is stylized, it still lacks foundation.

anime style is not just simplfly the face and body,and cel shading
    Actually, todays anime is optimized for mass production animation. And it really is just simplified features, and cel shading.

There are alot of well produced anime movies and series ofcourse that stand above the mass produced series. Studio Ghibli(Spirited away, Howls Moving Castle, Naussica) and Production I.G(Ghost in the shell, Blood) for example produce amazing work, however the artists that are working there have a solid foundation and it shows in their work.

Noone here is a hater of Anime or manga, alot of people have an immense respect for some of the amazing work that comes from japan. But I do think alot of people are very wary of the mass produced abstracted anime stuff.

Also working in a style, and drawing "anime" does not mean there is a limit on creativity. It is just a tool in the end. If you have some time, check out Shintaro Kago's(worked on Paprika, but has alot of solo stuff) work. He is a manga artist, but with an completly unique vision.

"Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You will never earn respect here if you draw in anime style. Why do you think i dont have a sketch book here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by joetachi View Post
    You will never earn respect here if you draw in anime style. Why do you think i dont have a sketch book here.
    Then why are there alot of anime movies mentioned in the "Movies concept artists should watch." thread?

"Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Duq View Post
    Then why are there alot of anime movies mentioned in the "Movies concept artists should watch." thread?
    Im talking about members in this forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the big dandelion on the top left could use some more refining, it's kind of a big element in the picture.
    Nice use of color btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joetachi, there's anime-styled stuff in the top bar of this site! Difference is it's ridiculously good.

The truth is that the game and anime fandoms are almost one in the same, and on this site, work that leans towards either one lacking in foundation will get called out. There's very little bias, only a REALLY STRONG tendency for a lot of immature artists to go into anime because it looks easy and cool. Great anime is just as lauded on CA as great game and movie production work.

But then very little of either is considered "respectable" when you're talking about the gallery scene.

joeian - it's good to hear you're practicing! As I said, there's a lot of really great anime out there, and the thing that unites them all is a strong foundation. You've shown you can digitally color, so focusing on the basics for a while and then coming back to that skill will serve you well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im not talking about respect in the gallery scene its here. I knew he would get comments about things that wont help him get better.This thread would not be getting 5 post if it was done in any other style.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    joetachi, is this you? You should start a sketchbook here, it would do you good.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    joetachi, is this you? You should start a sketchbook here, it would do you good.
    It would but im not ready to make a sketchbook here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice, nice

My Sketchbook [ACTUALLY UPDATED!]

I have 800 posts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    Ok so you can emulate a style. I mean, that's all I really see here, you've gotten good at making a very anime style drawing. Where's the foundations to back it up? The anatomy is not very good, especially in the legs and her raised shoulder... Neck too.. and what is up with her left hand? It's tiiiny. And the gound doesn't indicate grass, it just looks... greenish. Actually it looks like it's speeding past. The colors are pretty nice but again it just looks like all the other anime out there. It's a good emulation I suppose but there's nothing at all individual or interesting about this.

Let's see something more personal done with this level of finish!
    Even if it sounds biased, note that his critiques are all very specific and apparent. Even if it gets under your skin, this is good advice.

Paul Rhye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go and start a Sketchbook,don´t be afraid!!!There are many "anime-style" artist here,and we love them!!!I am not with nonie about this.Well he is right when he says that is not only about color,is about the basics on anatomy and figure study too,but none can say that your piece is bad!!!!That should be ridiculous!Your piece has some anatomical issues that can be fixed by doing what nonie sais,by focusing on anatomy.Also the grass needs more work.
    About the debate here....well...I am not a huge fan of anime style,but I admit that I enjoy anime.Actually I have been watching School Rumble recently!!!
    Those who think that anime is cheap or is some steps under american animation should watch Paprika,Chihiro or Ghost in the Shell.Cheap?Maybe.Great?Absolutely!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah~you are right, i need to study more about the anatomy
    how ever, i am still 17, i will go to university to study more about art this year
    may be go to japan~lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, actually you're really good for 17! Impressive Keep practicing and keep posting here and you'll go far - if I'd had this site at that age I'd porbably be years and years past where I am now. Back then I was on Elfwood.com, drawing anime characters in colored pencil, hehehe!

And I'm a "she," pvrhye and Camara

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ah, the typical pose and just typical picture kinda turns me off to it. You pulled it off well but the thing is that you should've spent more time on the basic concept of the drawing you were going to do. I think it best to make your art stand out in subject matter even if the style isnt anything crazy... If its funny, fun or just different it'll stand out to a lot more people. I think its funny how many people ripped you up for this, if only I could count the number of Marko D's on this forum(not that the anatomy isnt worth it).

But anyways, keep drawing and start working on your anatomy in the sketchbook thread so everybody can help you out.

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    And I'm a "she," pvrhye and Camara
    HAhahahaaa!Sorry!!!!Funny,people use to think that I am a "she"!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Camara View Post
    HAhahahaaa!Sorry!!!!Funny,people use to think that I am a "she"!!!!!
    I'd assume its cause of the avatar, but thats just me. (sorry didn't mean to troll!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.