Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: One more anime drawing~

Thanks
    I'm with nonie. Wether or not it is stylized, it still lacks foundation.

anime style is not just simplfly the face and body,and cel shading
    Actually, todays anime is optimized for mass production animation. And it really is just simplified features, and cel shading.

There are alot of well produced anime movies and series ofcourse that stand above the mass produced series. Studio Ghibli(Spirited away, Howls Moving Castle, Naussica) and Production I.G(Ghost in the shell, Blood) for example produce amazing work, however the artists that are working there have a solid foundation and it shows in their work.

Noone here is a hater of Anime or manga, alot of people have an immense respect for some of the amazing work that comes from japan. But I do think alot of people are very wary of the mass produced abstracted anime stuff.

Also working in a style, and drawing "anime" does not mean there is a limit on creativity. It is just a tool in the end. If you have some time, check out Shintaro Kago's(worked on Paprika, but has alot of solo stuff) work. He is a manga artist, but with an completly unique vision.
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You will never earn respect here if you draw in anime style. Why do you think i dont have a sketch book here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joetachi View Post
    You will never earn respect here if you draw in anime style. Why do you think i dont have a sketch book here.
    Then why are there alot of anime movies mentioned in the "Movies concept artists should watch." thread?
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duq View Post
    Then why are there alot of anime movies mentioned in the "Movies concept artists should watch." thread?
    Im talking about members in this forum.

Thanks
    I think the big dandelion on the top left could use some more refining, it's kind of a big element in the picture.
    Nice use of color btw.

Thanks
    Joetachi, there's anime-styled stuff in the top bar of this site! Difference is it's ridiculously good.

The truth is that the game and anime fandoms are almost one in the same, and on this site, work that leans towards either one lacking in foundation will get called out. There's very little bias, only a REALLY STRONG tendency for a lot of immature artists to go into anime because it looks easy and cool. Great anime is just as lauded on CA as great game and movie production work.

But then very little of either is considered "respectable" when you're talking about the gallery scene.

joeian - it's good to hear you're practicing! As I said, there's a lot of really great anime out there, and the thing that unites them all is a strong foundation. You've shown you can digitally color, so focusing on the basics for a while and then coming back to that skill will serve you well.

Thanks
    Im not talking about respect in the gallery scene its here. I knew he would get comments about things that wont help him get better.This thread would not be getting 5 post if it was done in any other style.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,022 Posts
    joetachi, is this you? You should start a sketchbook here, it would do you good.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    joetachi, is this you? You should start a sketchbook here, it would do you good.
    It would but im not ready to make a sketchbook here.

Thanks
    nice, nice
    My Sketchbook [ACTUALLY UPDATED!]

I have 800 posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    Ok so you can emulate a style. I mean, that's all I really see here, you've gotten good at making a very anime style drawing. Where's the foundations to back it up? The anatomy is not very good, especially in the legs and her raised shoulder... Neck too.. and what is up with her left hand? It's tiiiny. And the gound doesn't indicate grass, it just looks... greenish. Actually it looks like it's speeding past. The colors are pretty nice but again it just looks like all the other anime out there. It's a good emulation I suppose but there's nothing at all individual or interesting about this.

Let's see something more personal done with this level of finish!
    Even if it sounds biased, note that his critiques are all very specific and apparent. Even if it gets under your skin, this is good advice.
    Paul Rhye

Thanks
    Go and start a Sketchbook,don´t be afraid!!!There are many "anime-style" artist here,and we love them!!!I am not with nonie about this.Well he is right when he says that is not only about color,is about the basics on anatomy and figure study too,but none can say that your piece is bad!!!!That should be ridiculous!Your piece has some anatomical issues that can be fixed by doing what nonie sais,by focusing on anatomy.Also the grass needs more work.
    About the debate here....well...I am not a huge fan of anime style,but I admit that I enjoy anime.Actually I have been watching School Rumble recently!!!
    Those who think that anime is cheap or is some steps under american animation should watch Paprika,Chihiro or Ghost in the Shell.Cheap?Maybe.Great?Absolutely!!

Thanks
    yeah~you are right, i need to study more about the anatomy
    how ever, i am still 17, i will go to university to study more about art this year
    may be go to japan~lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast