Thread: DSG 1357: Sci-Fi: EJECTED PILOT PARACHUTES DOWN OVER ITS RUINED MECH

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving this daily sketch group thing. This is great!

ejecting mech pilot ~6min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God help me... HB pencils. Gotta love em when you have nothing else.

I won't embarrasses the person who told me to start posting by mentioning their name in connection with this picture. You know who you are.

Luckless AI (you said scifi) drops to earth after someone shot its mecha up the backside. Those with a very active imagination might be able to make out the booster rocket also falling back to earth. The background is... snow. Yes snow. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I need practice. And quite possibly a tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 hour sketch done mostly on Wacom tab. 10 min pencil sketch, scanned and brushed in Photoshop.

Leprechaun is offline They're always after me lucky charms! Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I spent more time on this than I wanted, probably around 2 hrs, but for one who's not a big fan of mechs I think I did okay. Still figuring out how to best use PS and my tablet.

Edit: fixed position of pilot a bit and blurred background objects somewhat

Last edited by Leprechaun; May 2nd, 2008 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time posting in a daily. I decided that I need to start doing exercises more often to get the creative juices flowing again, and to get back into art.

My usual media is graphite pencils, so this digital art is rather new to me. I am still learning how to control it and get the desired effects.

Edit: Wacom tablet, with photoshop, 30-40 minutes (stumbled around learning the program).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotta make a pic for this one , good stuff so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my entry. It took about an hour and a half on and off. worked on it a little yesterday and finished up this morning. Getting an interesting composition was the hard part. Crits welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There wasn't another topic yet, so I went at this one again.

~15 min. supposed to be crashing waves at the bottom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blah.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just some thoughts and crits;

c4l3b; Damn fast. I don't get how you people can whip out the basic shapes so early. Nice texture on the explosion. Think the explosion itself is a little confusing, with parts lighting up everywhere. Fun to see a pilot who just ejected.
    ANTIcarrot; No worries, join more often and you'll get better. DSG is a great exercise. Fun idea. You should loosen up the smoke a bit, it looks rather solid. And try to avoid parts that shouldn't have contact touching each other. Like the smoke touching the AI, it brings them on the same plane and flattens the image. Keep it up!
    c4l3b #2 ;o Love how you did the background, very convincingly far away. Perhaps the legs could use some contrast. nice sketch.
    thelefthand; Nice job with the focus on the pilot, and the mech in the back. A lot of detail on the pilot already. Might be a matter of taste, but I think having the parts cut off from the left elbow and right knee doesn't seem very convincing. Nice 'warzone' feel.
    Leprechaun; Not a mech fan either ;[ Good thing you joined in regardless. Like the idea of the mech suiciding on the monster, with the pilot escaping. It almost looks as if the pilot is standing on the tree though. Better to avoid those two touching each other.
    Titus James; Welcome I like the humanoid appearance of your mech. The triangular shape of the smoke is confusing me a little, and I'd say the parachute is a little small. Good luck with photoshop.. good thing there are loads of tutorials and such around.
    armando; Damn nice pose. Pretty nice design too, and looks very convincing. I can't read what the dark shapes in the bottom left corner are. I assume his leg should be around there but I just can't see it. Your piece makes it look so easy, you need only a few strokes to define those shapes.
    scho81; I like the mood, with those long shadows and clouds. Nice sense of speed too. Looks as if the rockets are aiming for the pilot though, the mech isn't very important in your composition. Fun to see such a long canvas. Nice viewpoint from the attacker.
    c4l3b; And a third.. Very subtle work on the mech, really feels like a huge machine in the distance. Think the smoke in the top left is both too dark and too sharp compared to the mech. Interesting point of view, tough angle to draw the water from though.
    GodOfWar; Nice view with the mech already crashed and the pilot in the distance. You seem to have oversmudged some parts a little. Make sure your focal point really stands out. Nice job on those plants.

Bit over 1.5hr I think, ps mouse. Couldn't get the ground to look right ;|

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be Blunt, Is it bad etiquitte for me to post multitudes of sketches in these threads?
    ANTIcarrot
    Great take on the idea. The ai being ejected. Keep up the pracitce and post it no matter what you think of it.

thelefthand
    I like the details you put into the pilot. The keypad on the leg is an especially nice touch. Overall, the image portrays the subject very well. Even if I didn't know the topic, I would have described this one as "pilot ejecting from breaking down mech"

Leprechaun
    I agree with anthis, cool idea. Maybe if the guy was watching the action it would help too.

Titus James
    Yes, posting these will help you considerably. I like how the robot looks like it sat down and died. The smoke is shaped a bit weird.

armando
    It took me a minute to see what was going on here. I don't know what you could do to define it more, but its confusing to my eye. Is the robot laying on the ground? are we looking down at it, or accross a plane at it?
    After I made out the robot itself, I really liked it. Its design is almost whimsical.

scho81
    the rocket does look like its going to the pilot. ouch. It would have been nice to see the mech in the background looking disabled or distroyed.

Godofwar
    The composition pulls my eye right to the pilot. Nice. The walls could use some shadows and such to give it more depth.

Anthis
    That mech looks like its just going to keep trooping on without its pilot! Also, thanks for the feedback. You reminded me that I should contribute more than just sketches!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to c4l3b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah.. i should have made it clear that the enemy is in the foreground trying to shoot the pilot out of the air. the pilot's mech is actually that bright flame to the bottom right of the composition. thank you guys for the crits. I'll take more time to really think about what needs to be the main focus. it should have been the pilot and his mech ... not the enemy firing at him. haha ... whoops.

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My crappy entry. About 3 hours in Painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ninjacat11,
    The pilot's hand is backwards! the one with the knife in it should have the thumb towards his head.

c4l3b. good pic point of view.

thelefthand. like your parachuter

Anthis nice pic like the mech and angle.

I am going to have to learn how to do buildings.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what's going on either

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of energy in here!!!

Oops. Sorry, didn't do a mech. Hope you guys don't mind

Mitze: Very creative!
    Hamsta: nice atmosphere.Keep it up!
    ninjacat11: Interesting idea. keep pushing!
    Anthis: Impressive. Wish i could be closer to the action!
    scho81: I am struggling with composition too.It is a very important part of the image. I think you are close to something great!
    armando: Very good structure.
    Titus James: I am very much in the same position as you. Above all have fun and enjoy what you are doing. Keep painting with no stress.
    Leprechaun: keep exploring! Nice style!
    thelefthand: I like it! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    c4l3b:Cool! Keep painting!
    ANTIcarrot: I bought a tablet a few months ago, mainly to improve my coloring, but I don't think you need it for drawing so much.
    Many professionals draw on paper first, then go digital for colors/refining. Don't lose heart. ^_^ Keep it up!
    c4l3b: Dynamic! I like it a lot!

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edited up a little. Changed the explosion (poorly) into a huge roaring fire and added lots of smoke.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    C4I3b – I personally enjoy seeing multiple sketches.  It was interesting to see the 3 different ideas you came up with. I like your grasp on linear perspective, some very interesting angles/scale.

Thelefthand – I like that your mech seems to be in the motion of falling down.

Leprechaun – I’m in the same boat as you. PS plus the tablet is a lot of fun, but it has a bit of a learning curve. I like what you have done so far, keep it up!

Armando – I really like how you were able to form a mech with so few strokes, atleast that is how it appears to me. Good job.

Scho81 – I think you accomplished an interesting composition  good work, I think you succeeded. There seems to be a sense of drama which I think compliments your composition.

GodofWar – Good job! You have a good handle on color. I’m still learning to use color effectively.

Anthis – I really like your pilot and his parachute. I like the contrasting flames and smoke right behind him. I think that really compliments his dark figure. Well done!

Ninjacat11 – Keep it up man! Good stuff, just keep working at it. Maybe try to create more edges with your color rather then contour lines. Line work tends to make and image look flat.

Mitze – I love the robot! Awesome design!

Hamsta – I like your use of color.

Lechri – I like your pilot design, and the sense of motion you were able to achieve.

To those you made comments on my piece, thanks for the kind words! I probably should reference some smoke next time. That was out of my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Completely new technique for me. I figure if I practice it a bit, it will become a nice method of speed painting. This one took about an hour.

Heckedy Peg is offline not as funny as he thinks Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

His parachute is going to pop out any time now...

I do think this idea works better with greyscale as c4l3b, scho81, thelefthand, and armando have shown us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tricky one this, not happy but i will post anyway.

anout hour something in ps and painter

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apocolypse-Rex,
    Great Job. I love the reds and the sparks you created on the mech. I think you pulled it off. the only crit would to be something closer to the viewer. maybe pulling the parachuter closer to the camera.
    Heckedy Peg- Love the angle. I think painting the top of his hair back in would help the idea of the mech in background of the image. (unless he's screaming that his hair is on fire)
    Jenserai- good composition as well. good pose on your parachuting dude. I think that is all you need for the mech since he's far from the shot.
    ninjacat11- Just keep painting! study other works that inspire you and try to match color palettes that the masters have used. It's good to lay down a base color other than white. I usually start out with a grey base tone before painting so i'm not working with such a bright background. I'm not going to mention the thumb. although you put an edited version up without correcting it. haha
    Lechri- I took the time to count how many different colors are in your painting..16-17? anyways.. you can consider that the jet is a trasforming mech. who cares.. nice shot. good research on the pilot although very loose.
    Hamsta-the reds and pinks work-why didn't think of that? good job! i think tightening up the mech because it's closer too us would help. how long did it take?
    Mitze- I think the first thing that pops out is positioning of the mech. you did a great job of putting the akward posing into the robotic limbs. i like how his left arm is laid out.
    Anthis- looks good! I like how you looked up or knew how parachute lines are. either way..it's convincing. my only crit is that you used some nice oranges on the destroyed mech but the others around it are of a greenish hue. not really convincing.
    GodofWar-blah? .. i love the depth of the picture. the mech could use a little more work but the sky and cliff edges are nice. I agree with c4l3b's critique.
    c4l3b-Nice! knocking out 3 different quick sketches. I'd like to see you spend an hour on the strongest shot to see what you can come up with. It's great seeing you knock out shapes in such speed. great job experimenting.
    armando- it's hard to read. I see a robot and I like your values. i'm kinda confused on the left side of the pic and also the lower bottom. good job with depth in the background. I don't see your parachute pilot anywhere. maybe that's what in the left side.
    TitusJames- it's hard to get a sense of scale. great interpretation of your mech. it's different the "mech warrior" style. nice. keep at it.
    Leprechaun-love the curviness of the parachute. nice job trying to blur the backhills a little. I'm finding it hard to find the "pay off" part of the piece. basically where you eye directly goes first.
    thelefthand-i have to say the same for everyone else that critique it. they nailed it on the head. good job looking up a reference for the pilot. nice blur in the background. it's believable.
    ANTIcarrot-wow. nice to think outside the box. great imagination. you'll get your tablet one day and think back to what you were missing out on. it's a great investment.

keep up the good work guys/gals. rock on.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Inscho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ApocalypseRex-Absolutely fantastic.
    HeckedyPeg-Love the angle.
    Lechri-I love the energy of the linework.
    Jeneserai-Nice composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

not quite what I wanted, but time ran out for me this week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    edit/ I guess I totally forgot about the whole ejected pilot thing... way to go caleb /edit

I wanted to try to take one a little more towards completion... I got about 45 (edit--1hr--edit) min in before I got bored. foreground and background are pretty much afterthought at this point.

also, just for fun. a progress animation

Last edited by c4l3b; May 3rd, 2008 at 05:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.