Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 468 Posts

DSG 1357: Sci-Fi: EJECTED PILOT PARACHUTES DOWN OVER ITS RUINED MECH

[ ! ]

Sci-Fi: EJECTED PILOT PARACHUTES DOWN OVER ITS RUINED MECH

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm loving this daily sketch group thing. This is great!

ejecting mech pilot ~6min

Thanks
    God help me... HB pencils. Gotta love em when you have nothing else.

I won't embarrasses the person who told me to start posting by mentioning their name in connection with this picture. You know who you are.

Luckless AI (you said scifi) drops to earth after someone shot its mecha up the backside. Those with a very active imagination might be able to make out the booster rocket also falling back to earth. The background is... snow. Yes snow. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I need practice. And quite possibly a tablet.

Thanks

Thanks
    1 hour sketch done mostly on Wacom tab. 10 min pencil sketch, scanned and brushed in Photoshop.

Thanks
    I spent more time on this than I wanted, probably around 2 hrs, but for one who's not a big fan of mechs I think I did okay. Still figuring out how to best use PS and my tablet.

Edit: fixed position of pilot a bit and blurred background objects somewhat
    Last edited by Leprechaun; May 2nd, 2008 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks
    First time posting in a daily. I decided that I need to start doing exercises more often to get the creative juices flowing again, and to get back into art.

My usual media is graphite pencils, so this digital art is rather new to me. I am still learning how to control it and get the desired effects.

Edit: Wacom tablet, with photoshop, 30-40 minutes (stumbled around learning the program).

Thanks
    Sketchbook

What is the right thing to do?

Thanks
    Gotta make a pic for this one , good stuff so far.

Thanks
    Here's my entry. It took about an hour and a half on and off. worked on it a little yesterday and finished up this morning. Getting an interesting composition was the hard part. Crits welcome.

Thanks
    There wasn't another topic yet, so I went at this one again.

~15 min. supposed to be crashing waves at the bottom.

Thanks
    Blah.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 724 Posts
    Just some thoughts and crits;

c4l3b; Damn fast. I don't get how you people can whip out the basic shapes so early. Nice texture on the explosion. Think the explosion itself is a little confusing, with parts lighting up everywhere. Fun to see a pilot who just ejected.
    ANTIcarrot; No worries, join more often and you'll get better. DSG is a great exercise. Fun idea. You should loosen up the smoke a bit, it looks rather solid. And try to avoid parts that shouldn't have contact touching each other. Like the smoke touching the AI, it brings them on the same plane and flattens the image. Keep it up!
    c4l3b #2 ;o Love how you did the background, very convincingly far away. Perhaps the legs could use some contrast. nice sketch.
    thelefthand; Nice job with the focus on the pilot, and the mech in the back. A lot of detail on the pilot already. Might be a matter of taste, but I think having the parts cut off from the left elbow and right knee doesn't seem very convincing. Nice 'warzone' feel.
    Leprechaun; Not a mech fan either ;[ Good thing you joined in regardless. Like the idea of the mech suiciding on the monster, with the pilot escaping. It almost looks as if the pilot is standing on the tree though. Better to avoid those two touching each other.
    Titus James; Welcome I like the humanoid appearance of your mech. The triangular shape of the smoke is confusing me a little, and I'd say the parachute is a little small. Good luck with photoshop.. good thing there are loads of tutorials and such around.
    armando; Damn nice pose. Pretty nice design too, and looks very convincing. I can't read what the dark shapes in the bottom left corner are. I assume his leg should be around there but I just can't see it. Your piece makes it look so easy, you need only a few strokes to define those shapes.
    scho81; I like the mood, with those long shadows and clouds. Nice sense of speed too. Looks as if the rockets are aiming for the pilot though, the mech isn't very important in your composition. Fun to see such a long canvas. Nice viewpoint from the attacker.
    c4l3b; And a third.. Very subtle work on the mech, really feels like a huge machine in the distance. Think the smoke in the top left is both too dark and too sharp compared to the mech. Interesting point of view, tough angle to draw the water from though.
    GodOfWar; Nice view with the mech already crashed and the pilot in the distance. You seem to have oversmudged some parts a little. Make sure your focal point really stands out. Nice job on those plants.

Bit over 1.5hr I think, ps mouse. Couldn't get the ground to look right ;|

Take a look at my Website!

Thanks
    Be Blunt, Is it bad etiquitte for me to post multitudes of sketches in these threads?
    ANTIcarrot
    Great take on the idea. The ai being ejected. Keep up the pracitce and post it no matter what you think of it.

thelefthand
    I like the details you put into the pilot. The keypad on the leg is an especially nice touch. Overall, the image portrays the subject very well. Even if I didn't know the topic, I would have described this one as "pilot ejecting from breaking down mech"

Leprechaun
    I agree with anthis, cool idea. Maybe if the guy was watching the action it would help too.

Titus James
    Yes, posting these will help you considerably. I like how the robot looks like it sat down and died. The smoke is shaped a bit weird.

armando
    It took me a minute to see what was going on here. I don't know what you could do to define it more, but its confusing to my eye. Is the robot laying on the ground? are we looking down at it, or accross a plane at it?
    After I made out the robot itself, I really liked it. Its design is almost whimsical.

scho81
    the rocket does look like its going to the pilot. ouch. It would have been nice to see the mech in the background looking disabled or distroyed.

Godofwar
    The composition pulls my eye right to the pilot. Nice. The walls could use some shadows and such to give it more depth.

Anthis
    That mech looks like its just going to keep trooping on without its pilot! Also, thanks for the feedback. You reminded me that I should contribute more than just sketches!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to c4l3b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah.. i should have made it clear that the enemy is in the foreground trying to shoot the pilot out of the air. the pilot's mech is actually that bright flame to the bottom right of the composition. thank you guys for the crits. I'll take more time to really think about what needs to be the main focus. it should have been the pilot and his mech ... not the enemy firing at him. haha ... whoops.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast